Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
Sign up

Would you fly?

Steve Carr

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 15, 2015
Messages
4,989
Likes
1,870
Location
Bessemer, MI
#2
I'm supposed to fly a lake front property tomorrow morning at 11 am. UAV Forecast says this....see photo....would you do it?
It depends on the location, the wind direction, wind speed of gusts and the landing zone location. At that temperature I would warm the batteries in advance, keep the flight short and stay low if needed. I've flown in some fairly high wind and didn't have a problem, but I planned the landing location very carefully and picked out a low level corridor back to that spot if needed.
 
Last edited:
Joined
May 1, 2016
Messages
6,701
Likes
2,638
Location
N. California
#3
I’d have plenty of batteries. The wind and temp is going to cut battery time a lot. I would also do a short flight first thing just to verify solid control response and never get very far away with the bird. No Smart mode at all.
 
Joined
Jun 19, 2016
Messages
1,716
Likes
562
Age
63
Location
Shaw, Gtr Manchester, U.K.
Website
www.flushvision.co.uk
#4
Although the H has been proven to be well capable of handling such wind speeds I have to say that those speeds are above my self imposed limit and the limit detailed in my commercial Operations Manual. So, with respect to the wind strengths only, I wouldn't fly. However, all the other data shown is well within my bounds for a flight at 11:00.

So, on just the wind, no, the rest yes. But that's just me. If you are willing to put the aircraft up in those winds and take all precautions as suggested above, then the flight is doable.
 
Joined
Nov 10, 2016
Messages
178
Likes
58
Age
67
#5
It depends on the surroundings and you experience and comfort level. If things go wrong they can go wrong real fast in those conditions and if your not comfortable with taking over the bird and flying it manually thenI wouldn't do it .
 
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
93
Likes
30
Age
59
#7
I met with the real estate agent. The winds ended up only being about 20mph. I told them I would fly and it was up to them. They chose to postpone the flight because of the blowing foliage and the rough water. The home is listed for 1.7 million and they want the lake to be flat like glass. There will be plenty of calm mornings ahead so I don't blame them for being patient.
 
Joined
Jun 4, 2017
Messages
465
Likes
48
#9
I met with the real estate agent. The winds ended up only being about 20mph. I told them I would fly and it was up to them. They chose to postpone the flight because of the blowing foliage and the rough water. The home is listed for 1.7 million and they want the lake to be flat like glass. There will be plenty of calm mornings ahead so I don't blame them for being patient.
Curious as to where the home is located? What state? Is that California?
 
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
93
Likes
30
Age
59
#10
Cool. Now you get to watch the location to determine when light and reflection off smooth water would make for a better video:)
I arrived about thirty minutes before the realtor. Currently there is no occupants so I had time to find take off and landing areas and to plan some shots. I'm pretty familiar with the general area and I'm thinking a mid morning or sunset flight.
 
Joined
May 1, 2016
Messages
6,701
Likes
2,638
Location
N. California
#13
Depends a lot on your skill level and experience with the system being used. Most of the fly/no fly apps are very conservative and intended for the average or less than average user. Pretty much the same applies to manufacturer established wind limitations.
 
Joined
Dec 26, 2017
Messages
24
Likes
11
Age
67
Location
Stockton, California
Website
www.jcommstudios.com
#15
I'm supposed to fly a lake front property tomorrow morning at 11 am. UAV Forecast says this....see photo....would you do it?

View attachment 9606
Did just the other day with an orchard scene in Northern California. Winds 24mph gusts to 43mph. It was a wild one but got the shot.
The Typhoon H ... named appropriately! lol. Once up over the orchard it was brutal. The gimbal was shaking with the high gusts and bringing it down between the trees was a trip!
 
Joined
Mar 9, 2017
Messages
41
Likes
4
Location
Burlington VT
#17
Never make the decision to fly simply because someone else says they would. As PIC, it is all on you if things go south. There will always be another opportunity to fly if you cancel the flight. As a airplane pilot I have a personal minimums list, both for VFR and IFR flight, which is different in the 2 airplanes I fly. The differences are based on aircraft capabilities. I would expect my minimums to be different from any other general aviation pilot I might meet at the airport on any given day - because they are personall minimums. Obviously the consequences can be much different when comparing manned aircraft to UAVs, but the principle is the same.
 
Joined
Jun 19, 2016
Messages
1,716
Likes
562
Age
63
Location
Shaw, Gtr Manchester, U.K.
Website
www.flushvision.co.uk
#18
Never make the decision to fly simply because someone else says they would. As PIC, it is all on you if things go south. There will always be another opportunity to fly if you cancel the flight. As a airplane pilot I have a personal minimums list, both for VFR and IFR flight, which is different in the 2 airplanes I fly. The differences are based on aircraft capabilities. I would expect my minimums to be different from any other general aviation pilot I might meet at the airport on any given day - because they are personall minimums. Obviously the consequences can be much different when comparing manned aircraft to UAVs, but the principle is the same.
I have two UAVs detailed in my commercial Operations Manual (here in the U.K. a commercial UAV pilot must have a CAA approved Operations Manual that details all the UAVs that are operated under a PfCO). One is a Phantom 2 Vision Plus, and the other is my TH. An Operations Manual must specifically state (along with lots of other details) the maximums and minimums for each aircraft. For wind, then, my maximum self imposed wind speed for the P2V+ is just 12MPH while for the TH it is a princely 16MPH.

Since it is a legal requirement for a commercial UAV pilot in the U.K. to operate his aircraft in accordance with his O.M., then technically I would be breaking the law if I flew my TH on a commercial operation in a wind speed of 20MPH, say.

BTW, the O.M. is not binding for hobby flights. It is just a legal document that is associated with commercial operations.
 
Joined
May 1, 2016
Messages
6,701
Likes
2,638
Location
N. California
#19
Flush,

You might consider raising the wind limit for the H as it has no problems at all dealing with a 20mph - 25mph wind. From my perspective you have arbitrarily significantly limited your available flying windows.
 
Joined
Jun 19, 2016
Messages
1,716
Likes
562
Age
63
Location
Shaw, Gtr Manchester, U.K.
Website
www.flushvision.co.uk
#20
Flush,

You might consider raising the wind limit for the H as it has no problems at all dealing with a 20mph - 25mph wind. From my perspective you have arbitrarily significantly limited your available flying windows.
I take your point PatR. Indeed I have been considering raising the limit to 20 MPH in my O.M. I can do that immediately and fly accordingly, but my O.M. with it's new wind limit will have to be approved by the CAA on my next renewal of my PfCO which is due in November.

Edit. This is just for the H. My P2V+ will need to stay at 12MPH. The P2V+ is no-where near as good as the H in strong winds.
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
12,437
Messages
141,329
Members
15,003
Latest member
qiandu