Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

Yikes! Landing Gear Failure - Twice

Discussion in 'Typhoon H Discussion' started by deMARCOman, Apr 15, 2018.

1. deMARCOman

The last two flights today out of 4 flights total my landing gear would not come down! I had to bring it down to a level I could hold onto the drone's feet as another person hit the power button on the ST16 controller.

Both times the moment I powered off/on the drone reset with the feet coming down to the landed position no problem. Any ideas?

While it was a preorder H before came out this drone has been barely used --Maybe 20 hours flying time tops.

2. Vegasrobbi

What firmware are you on?

With the latest firmware my gear on rare occasion won't go up or down; however, cycling the retract switch multiple times usually gets it.

3. deMARCOman

Hi Vegasrobbi. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I tried toggling it at least 10 times. This is what I am running as far as software:

TyphoonH_Ver3.04_A.bin
    TyphoonHGUISetup_v1.2.11.zip
    ST16_V3.1.30.yuneec

4. rdonson

Try this...

5. JulesTEO

This happens to one of my aircrafts which suffered a crash that did break one of the gear struts, so I attribute this to the servomotors getting some degree of damage from that.

Whenever this happens I just toggle it, usually 2-3 toggles gets it to work; I don't feel like replacing the motors yet since they work normally for the most part, and when they don't it just takes a couple of retries. (when this happens the gear actually moves just a bit and then stops, so the motors are apparently getting stuck)

Also hard and bouncy landings will definitely take a toll on the servomotors. If they have already stopped working all together a replacement might be the best bet. (remember all moving parts eventually wear out)

Greetings!

6. PatR

I’d like to suggest a periodic maintenance practice of removing the gear to clean and realign the electrical contacts. Hard landings can cause a slight displacement and long periods of time with contacts touching can generate just enough light corrosion to prevent actuation. Those experiencing periodic cycling failures are likely encountering one or both of those conditions.

7. rdonson

Good recommendation, Pat. Do you have any suggestions on videos that would take people through how to do this?

8. PatR

I do not but removing a couple of hex screws and rubbng the contacts with a pencil erasure should be pretty easy to figure out;) The entire gear assembly (per side) is slid out of the mounting by the removal of two screws. There is no need to disassemble the assembly further.

9. rdonson

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn’t sure if we needed to go further than that.

I’ve been lucky not to have encountered any issues with the landing gear.