Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

"Your Drone Can Give Cops a Surprising Amount of Your Data"

DCH

Dr. FrankenPhoon
Reaction score
This is the headline that caught my eye, so I read it.

Your Drone Can Give Cops a Surprising Amount of Your Data

Even though I'm NOT the "Nefarious sort" that the article is addressing, it was an Interesting read so I thought I'd pass it along.

Nefarious sort indeed! I don't how that rumor ever got started.
...Excuse me I need to go put something away

ScreenHunter_5900 Nov. 18 19.10.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AJan
They can outlaw my drone’s camera right after they outlaw the use of cell phone cameras. This privacy BS is getting deep enough to need to wear muck boots at all times.

Everyone that brings out their cell phone and starts recording anytime a police officer arrives on a scene should be arrested along with the original suspect.

Every time I see someone’s cell phone aimed at me I’d like to go stuff it right down their throat. If I want my picture taken I’ll wave my arms and shout “Hey, get me in the shot please”

Most drones are high enough and far away enough that faces are barely recognizable at best, but they seem to be thought of as some sort of super spy apparatus.

It should be noted that a majority of the scenario painted in the article, is predicated on the necessity in the DJI world of signing into an account, to begin your flight... yay for us that does not exist for the world of Yuneec... at least not yet.

they seem to be thought of as some sort of super spy apparatus.
At the very least! Seems like many people I meet have a preconceived idea that I am going to spy on them and see right into their house with my flying camera. They give themselves way too much credit that I would even be interested! There are a lot of negative feelings out there about Drones and their pilots. I don't even use the word "Drone", I prefer UAV or Flying camera, and I correct folks who call it a drone. I say there are no Hellfire missiles, it's NOT a drone".;)

the DJI world of signing into an account, to begin your flight... yay for us that does not exist for the world of Yuneec... at least not yet.

That's the very reason I have never owned a DJI. I don't have, or even want a smartphone (for many reasons) and I refused to buy one just to fly a DJI. So double yay for Yuneec (and the Blade Chroma) for eliminating the need for a smartphone.

George Orwell always warned us about Big Brother, bet he never saw Google coming! :eek:

Reactions: MarkC and h-elsner
At the very least! Seems like many people I meet have a preconceived idea that I am going to spy on them and see right into their house with my flying camera. They give themselves way too much credit that I would even be interested!

If I wanted to spy on someone, what makes you think I would pick someone as ugly as you ??? ;)

Or Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Yahoo, license plate readers, cell phone pinging, or how far the IRS goes in collecting credit card transaction tracking.

Just about everything anyone might need to know about us can be extracted from our cell phones, and few know just how widespread such activities are. If you drive through a big city with a cell phone it’s likely happened to you. Those of you that haven’t but attended a large event with law enforcement flying over head likely had it happen there.

Reactions: thoneter and DCH
If I wanted to spy on someone, what makes you think I would pick someone as ugly as you ??? ;)

Really! LOL
If I were to spy on someone, they would never know. And I sure wouldn't use anything as obvious and flying camera, or a UAV! That's what real Drones are for!

Reactions: Bronson006
We might not have to do sign-in's, but of course our controllers do log every flight we make, and all that info is available to law enforcement at any time by simply confiscating the controller, at which point they can see, to the nearest meter and millisecond, everywhere we have ever flown !

Reactions: DCH
We might not have to do sign-in's, but of course our controllers do log every flight we make, and all that info is available to law enforcement at any time by simply confiscating the controller, at which point they can see, to the nearest meter and millisecond, everywhere we have ever flown !

Yep, that's exactly right! And remember to clear out as much info as you can if you ever sell your controller. I bought two used controllers and what I found in the gallery was entertaining, shocking, and sometimes "Too much information!" o_O

I saw everything from destructive crashes, to images of the previous owner playing around with it while it was filming in his living room, by the way he was dressed -or not- obviously he never imagined anyone would ever see it! :eek:

Reactions: AeroJ
That's the very reason I have never owned a DJI. I don't have, or even want a smartphone (for many reasons) and I refused to buy one just to fly a DJI. So double yay for Yuneec (and the Blade Chroma) for eliminating the need for a smartphone.

George Orwell always warned us about Big Brother, bet he never saw Google coming! :eek:

Enter the Yuneec Breeze and Mantis Q that use a smartphone to run the controlling application, and the ST series controllers only lack a cellular connection from being a smartphone (SIM). If things keep progressing the way they have so far your sUAS will have what basically be called an IFF transponder built into it.

Reactions: DCH
We are part of the l (me and my selfie) world now so it’s assumed you are important so therefore the subject of my shot. It’s self arrogance on a level that’s equal to all of us being kings of our own domain. The cellphone is the magic wand into that world now and drones are being marketed as the extension of your all important must be shared with the everyone activity for social networks. Watch those Asian originated promo videos for every ridiculous knock off drone known to mankind and it’s all about how it captures the user and not the landscape. So of course that person on the ground who was watching with disdain is my subject not the sunset I’m trying to enjoy and capture because that individual is greater then the sky!

@CraigCam, You nailed it!
I’ll second that motion!!!

Photos make the art of unselfie much easier, as the clone tool in Photoshop makes eliminating distracting human life forms much easier than doing it in a video.

Photoshop makes eliminating distracting human life forms much easier than doing it in a video.

Yes, and Photo Shop's "Content Aware" feature replaces the unwanted humans and fills the space with what would normally be there. Too bad Content Aware can't actually fill an empty head with substance!

Reactions: JackMTaco
Yes, and Photo Shop's "Content Aware" feature replaces the unwanted humans and fills the space with what would normally be there. Too bad Content Aware can't actually fill an empty head with substance!

It does! More emptiness:oops:

Does it mean that the people are more foolish then?
Ja! Größere Narren!
...Und der andere Deppenzepter muss sehr klein sein! ;)

(Translation: And their other Fools Scepter must be very small!)

Last edited:
At the very least! Seems like many people I meet have a preconceived idea that I am going to spy on them and see right into their house with my flying camera. They give themselves way too much credit that I would even be interested! There are a lot of negative feelings out there about Drones and their pilots. I don't even use the word "Drone", I prefer UAV or Flying camera, and I correct folks who call it a drone. I say there are no Hellfire missiles, it's NOT a drone".;)

In my neighborhood there is no body worth looking at, just a bunch of old wrinkled prunes. I include my self in that description.

In German, a selfie stick is called "Deppenzepter" means fools scepter. Those selfie drones are put on the markes as longer selfie sticks. Does it mean that the people are more foolish then?

I'd say those that have backed themselves off of cliffs and died to get a better selfie shot certainly were.

Reactions: MarkC

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio