Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec Camera Controls / Features

Reaction score
I would like to say to start off that I absolutely love the gimbal controls and features of my Yuneec Typhoon H. All of the different features add up to a really great platform. That being said why in the world does Yuneec not allow aperture control of the camera. This would allow for better control of light entering the camera thus eliminating the need for ND filters (in some but not all cases)

Reactions: KellyR
No idea. I guess they thought ISO control and and shutter speed was enough ! Or maybe they were just trying to simplify things for the end user ? Or there was something about a fixed aperture lens assembly that gave them some advantage somewhere else ? Who can say ? It could even be down to the heritage of those sorts of camera units - they are, at the end of the day, slightly optimized / glorified security cameras, and you don't see a lot of them with variable aperture :)

Because that additional control would likely add $300+ cost to the camera... also they already had another platform that has that feature, among others... so if people wanted a superior camera, it was available... the CGO4 on the 920 series.

Because that additional control would likely add $300+ cost to the camera... also they already had another platform that has that feature, among others... so if people wanted a superior camera, it was available... the CGO4 on the 920 series.
You are so right Eagles Eye, its now and then worth to remind that you only get what you (want to) pay for!
?

I understand that but I’m not buying the extra $300 in cost. I could see a little extra (maybe $50-$75)
I do believe there are competitors who have this feature on their drone for around the same price point as the TH PLUS (P4P)
I looked at the 920 and did a ton of research, reading and talked to several owners of the 920. In the end the lack of support and product development turned me away (plus the exorbitant cost)
Yuneec dropped the development ball on the 920, it could have been a stellar platform if they would have stuck with it. As of now there in no support from Yuneec for the 920.

You are so right Eagles Eye, its now and then worth to remind that you only get what you (want to) pay for!
?
Sometimes you pay for an image/ brand, when something cheaper will do the same thing.

At this point in time, you have support for the Typhoon H in what way? New accessory development? New firmware development? New features? Perhaps that support is in customer service repairs and warranty coverage?

From my perspective, the 920, 920+, and the Typhoon H are pretty much equal in factory support at this point in time. Parts and repairs only.

At conception, the H was never designed to have an aperture control camera. The cost of developing one for the H post release, including the modifications needed for the ST-16 to control it, would have been prohibitive considering the low number of people that would have spent the extra money to buy it. Aperture control mods would not have been limited to the camera, they would require a redesign of the gimbal as well since an aperture adjustable lens is heavier than a fixed lens.

Insult to injury would be added as few that obtained one would learn how to make effective use of the feature. We can look at the number of people that still haven’t figured out how to effectively use the features provided for the CGO-3+ to validate that. Toss in the fact the Typhoon H does not have a flight duration that would allow the time needed for working with aperture control along with the camera’s existing features.

Truth is, the Typhoon H has seen exactly the same number of hardware improvements other model platforms have since its release, and that number is zero. The “other” platforms referred to with aperture control did not obtain them by adding hardware to a pre-existing model. They obtained that feature by obsoleting an existing model and releasing a new model people had to buy to obtain that feature. Having to perpetually buy new models every 6-9 months to obtain new features of marginal additional value is a game of diminishing returns, with those obtaining the most benefit being the manufacturer as they end up capturing far more of the customer’s money through repeated model releases.

The CGO-3+ will provide excellent imagery for those that learn how to make full use of its existing features, but most don’t. Aperture control would not make them better photographers as they would need to learn how to integrate aperture with every other camera feature to obtain the best imagery. Adding another feature like aperture control would just toss one more factor into image creativity the majority of people never use anyway. Just adjusting for WB and EV is more than they do with their hand held cameras.

Either way, Yuneec did the right thing... when they came out with the C23, they focused on the deficiencies of the imaging system and concentrated on putting in a better sensor. While the lack of an adjustable aperture can be overcome with ND filters, nothing can improve the image from a sub-par sensor. If you have to pick and choose your battles for image quality, like film before it, that choice will be the sensor.

Agreed. Not to beat the horse, but the sensor, combined with a zoom lens and ability to build a flight plan prior to take off, is why I bought a 920. It had everything I needed “as delivered”.

The original H has it’s place, and the 920 filled in all the blanks except one the H could not. The cost differential was not a factor, nor should it be when upgrading equipment. Changing directions a little, I think cost is where a lot of fledgling photographers shoot themselves in the foot. Everyone should be budget conscious but if they’ve put in the time needed to learn photography at some point they will need to upgrade and expand their equipment. Going the cheapest route ends up pretty limiting. Many limit themselves by believing lower budget products should provide all the features and quality the high dollar stuff does while others will buy the high dollar, higher quality equipment and never learn how to use them effectively. Somewhere in the middle are the few that take the time to learn how to use whatever they have and eventually produce great results regardless of the feature set and price level.

Somewhere in the middle are the few that take the time to learn how to use whatever they have and eventually produce great results regardless of the feature set and price level.
[/QUOTE]

Still working on it!??

At this point in time, you have support for the Typhoon H in what way? New accessory development? New firmware development? New features? Perhaps that support is in customer service repairs and warranty coverage?

From my perspective, the 920, 920+, and the Typhoon H are pretty much equal in factory support at this point in time. Parts and repairs only.

At conception, the H was never designed to have an aperture control camera. The cost of developing one for the H post release, including the modifications needed for the ST-16 to control it, would have been prohibitive considering the low number of people that would have spent the extra money to buy it. Aperture control mods would not have been limited to the camera, they would require a redesign of the gimbal as well since an aperture adjustable lens is heavier than a fixed lens.

Insult to injury would be added as few that obtained one would learn how to make effective use of the feature. We can look at the number of people that still haven’t figured out how to effectively use the features provided for the CGO-3+ to validate that. Toss in the fact the Typhoon H does not have a flight duration that would allow the time needed for working with aperture control along with the camera’s existing features.

Truth is, the Typhoon H has seen exactly the same number of hardware improvements other model platforms have since its release, and that number is zero. The “other” platforms referred to with aperture control did not obtain them by adding hardware to a pre-existing model. They obtained that feature by obsoleting an existing model and releasing a new model people had to buy to obtain that feature. Having to perpetually buy new models every 6-9 months to obtain new features of marginal additional value is a game of diminishing returns, with those obtaining the most benefit being the manufacturer as they end up capturing far more of the customer’s money through repeated model releases.

The CGO-3+ will provide excellent imagery for those that learn how to make full use of its existing features, but most don’t. Aperture control would not make them better photographers as they would need to learn how to integrate aperture with every other camera feature to obtain the best imagery. Adding another feature like aperture control would just toss one more factor into image creativity the majority of people never use anyway. Just adjusting for WB and EV is more than they do with their hand held cameras.
I don't know if you guys are aware, but the Plus has been out of stock for months in the UK, and parts very scarse, there not exactly faith in any of their range at the moment for a new buyer.

...... Somewhere in the middle are the few that take the time to learn how to use whatever they have and eventually produce great results regardless of the feature set and price level.......

Absolute truth.....and separates the Gear Hounds from the Photographers. A trained, experienced Photographer with a creative eye will produce a far better image on a D3300 than a Poser with an H6D-100C. Every. Single. Time.

It’s not the camera.

Absolute truth.....and separates the Gear Hounds from the Photographers. A trained, experienced Photographer with a creative eye will produce a far better image on a D3300 than a Poser with an H6D-100C. Every. Single. Time.

It’s not the camera.
You are the man, I have a Nikon D3300. Looking on getting another lens. Up to a 80mm Suggestions?

Reactions: Fred Garvin

It’s not the camera.

My photojournalist daughter can outshoot me with a point-n-shoot vs anything I might use. Practice, understanding light, and knowing strengths and weaknesses of your equipment.

Lots of poseurs with more $$ than time would probably take better pictures if they opted for more basic gear that's simpler to use.

With all the advanced post processing programs out now even an instant camera can end up providing nice images. Ends up if you can’t make it, fake it[emoji56]
Surely your too old to believe that, and still have some scruples not to fake it!

• Haha

Very true, I do like the CGO3+ and almost always shoot still photos in manual mode.

You are the man, I have a Nikon D3300. Looking on getting another lens. Up to a 80mm Suggestions?

Get a Nifty 50mm.....can be had for $250 or less.....use manual zoom (your feet)......avoid most all in one lenses, like an 18-300.....they’re heavy and not very good. A great lens for the 3300 (in addition to the Plastic Fantastic 50) is the 70-300 zoomer.....inexpensive and rounds out the kit.....you’ll have the kit lens (18-55) for general photography, the 50mm for a great Prime and inexpensive 1.8 aperture, and the 70-300 for wildlife and stuff.

With all the advanced post processing programs out now even an instant camera can end up providing nice images. Ends up if you can’t make it, fake it[emoji56]

Everything is heavily post processed these days.....those jaw dropping amazing artistic images? 90% Photoshop and 10% Photography. Those images can’t be made in camera......

Reactions: AH-1G and Adamg1180
Everything is heavily post processed these days.....those jaw dropping amazing artistic images? 90% Photoshop and 10% Photography. Those images can’t be made in camera......

Photographic art has always been heavily processed. Ansel Adams was a master at it. Just look at a photo history book.

Not that what you see online these days qualifies as art though. Most is likely aimed at grabbing eyeballs for "likes".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval