Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec Drones and RID

Ty Pilot

One Hexy Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Website
copperdawg.com
Was on another forum (dark side)🤫, and saw an article posted that discusses how RID will be implemented into that brand's lineup. Full Article HERE.

Of interest were the points made about how even older drones and even home-made drones will be able to be compliant with add on modules; below is a quote that discusses this:

"Since the FAA will allow drone pilots to satisfy Remote ID requirements with a separate add-on module, we anticipate every DJI drone – even the oldest ones, long out of production – will have a pathway to compliance for anyone still operating them."

If that is the case, then I cannot imagine there will not be a way for us to make our Yuneec drones work with RID too.

DoomMeister

Moderator/Tech Junkie
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Thankfully this is one of the concessions that came out of the comment period of the original NPRM. The add on module will also be able to be transferred from one aircraft to another for recreational pilots. It may be the same for 107 pilots also. All aircraft to be flown using the module will have to be listed on your DroneZone account from what I have read so far.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Reaction score
The short answer - no.
The long story - yes, this is possible for H480 with an added device. Probably for more Yuneec drones, this is possible too, but I'm focused on the H and I'm pretending, this machine is not really worse than new models for a lot of money.

As I understood from the forum the RID should propagate at least the ID itself, the position of the drone, the position of the operator (!), and some more things. Until you (especially I don't say us*) have the standard of what is expected to be presented, no one can say anything about the readiness.

* I'm far from the US and FAA located person.

Reaction score
I still believe it should only be a matter of a software upgrade, after all the aircraft is already broadcasting its position, and, if you've ever tested you return to home function, the ground station must be also. How else does the aircraft know where home is. I realize that there would have to be some incentive for the manufacturer to do so, and would be willing to pay a reasonable price for the upgrade. I don't mean paying what it would cost for an add on module, which I believe is going to be expensive. More than we paid for our system.

DoomMeister

Moderator/Tech Junkie
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I don't mean paying what it would cost for an add on module, which I believe is going to be expensive. More than we paid for our system.
I doubt that add on modules will be very expensive. If they cost too much they won’t sell except to commercial users. I suspect $150 or less.

Fred Garvin

Holding Short
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Website
orbisdroneservices.com
I doubt that add on modules will be very expensive. If they cost too much they won’t sell except to commercial users. I suspect $150 or less.
I predict that the "Add-On Module" market will be a race to the bottom.

Reaction score
The same for what I'm talking.. Without the clear requirements any money given for something are wasted.

BT is a low distance protocol...

Reactions: Pier2162
Reaction score
It would be nice, if someone in the drone world, was god at writing code. There is a good chance they could make some serious money.

Fred Garvin

Holding Short
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Website
orbisdroneservices.com
It would be nice, if someone in the drone world, was god at writing code. There is a good chance they could make some serious money.
Unless you have a working prototype, with manufacturing and distribution lined up, just waiting for final specs and a Golden Master.........you've already missed the boat.

Reactions: Pier2162
Reaction score
Unless you have a working prototype, with manufacturing and distribution lined up, just waiting for final specs and a Golden Master.........you've already missed the boat.
Actually, what I was getting at, is updating existing aircraft programing.

Reaction score
Due to some protocol limitations and lack of hardware, this is not possible. In any case, there should be some kind of added device. Doesn't matter will this from the manufacturer of the drone or from some third party supporter, should be bought and installed. A funny moment is with the operator's position, which should be known for this device if you want to know it too. RTH function, discussed earlier in the thread, is not a good example of the expected functionality. RTH is activated when the lack of communication is present too, so the information of the operator is unknown at this moment.

As another person here mentioned, the majority of the task is to organize necessary information from trusted sources, for example from the drone and from the remote. The next step is to organize all wanted flags. The last one is to broadcast this somewhere, which is a carefree job. ;)

Reaction score
All the time, when I'm saying something somewhere here, please hold in mind, this is related to the H480 only. I'm not interested to touch on other Yuneec products, because this one, with exception of the RAW data from the GPS module, can do everything.

Fred Garvin

Holding Short
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Website
orbisdroneservices.com
The big manufacturers are. Their aircraft and systems are already capable of broadcasting the information required, at least as far as we can know what that is. As others have said, until we get the final specs there's still an unknown in all this. DJI, for example, is forecasting that a great majority of the current fleet will just need a simple firmware update, which they are prepared to provide. New models are being designed and released with RID in mind, and in 2.5 years from now, they'll be well prepared and compliant. As far as other manufacturers, well it's up to them. Haven't really heard much from them, but it is 2.5 years away and that's a long time. Manufacturers need to worry about it, but it's way too early for the consumer to worry about it.

For those that will not meet the requirement, older drones, and such, there is going to be a market for simple, cheap add-on modules. There will be money to be made here, but it's going to be a niche market (by then there won't be that many that need it) and a market with a very short lifespan, meaning there will be an initial surge in sales, but it will quickly drop off to unsupportable levels once the surge has passed and people that need one, have one. When this market opens, the one with the cheapest little device is going to get the majority of the sales revenue. This is the race to the bottom we're going to see in the 6 months leading up to the required date and the 6 months after. Once this 1-year window passes, the market is done. Everyone who needs one will have one and all new drones will come with RID built-in.

Reactions: DoomMeister

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kosho