Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec FPV goggles

Reaction score
Purchased Yuneec's FPV goggles, the HDMI cable that comes with it is only 3 feet long. With out me slicing the jacket, any idea how many wires inside? I want to make this about 10 feet. I know how to solder so this is not an issue. I plan using this for others to enjoy first view flying. Thanks.

Purchased Yuneec's FPV goggles, the HDMI cable that comes with it is only 3 feet long. With out me slicing the jacket, any idea how many wires inside? I want to make this about 10 feet. I know how to solder so this is not an issue. I plan using this for others to enjoy first view flying. Thanks.
I do know that the HDMI cables that are out there come in different lengths with different size ends. You should be able to go to a local computer store to get what you require. I have a 6 foot one I purchased for $3 I use in conjunction with a field monitor.

Ok, I'll see if Best Buy has one that fits, thanks Murry
Don't do Best Buy, find a small local shop. Best Buy will be way over priced. Look in a local Walmart if need be first. I paid $3 Canadian 2 years ago, so you should be able to get one for $3 US easily. Any price over $6 US for a 6 foot is over charging. Cables and parts under $50 have huge margins, I can attest to this as I was a buyer for a computer company for a long time.

Reactions: AH-1G
One end is HDMI the other is like the a cell phone plug but narrower. Well I'll shop around.

It's likely to be either HDMI to HDMI - Micro or Mini. Does the small connection look like either of the ones below?

HDMI to HDMI Micro

Micro.jpg

Or is it a little bigger in relation to the HDMI like this?

HDMI to HDMI Mini

Mini.jpg

I have both types and you can try them out Tuesday if we meet up

I guess I am late to the topic and see that a standard cable can be had, but since the number of wires was asked about, I wish to point out that great care must be taken when considering work with HDMI cables, as in soldering a free end to a board. Splicing two cables is generally not done.

For the purpose of the goggles and a 10 FT cable, even the oldest, lowest specification HDMI cable or any DVI cable with the right connectors will work.

I spent some time in the manufacturers' end of the professional video industry.
Some HDMI info that may be worth knowing:

An HDMI cable is composed of four shielded twisted pairs of wire, with an impedance of 100 Ohms, plus seven additional separate wire conductors. In the '+ ethernet' versions, which do not concern FPV users, the wiring has a slightly different arrangement.

A low voltage differential RF signal is used to transport the data.
Because the signal is RF, splicing is to be avoided and all connections must be completed so that each wire is virtually the same length to avoid degredation of data (skew, timing, phase, common-mode related errors). For this reason no one splices the cables except in an emergency. It does not always work right.

The performance of HDMI cables is limited by the quality and length. 13-15 meters is the generally accepted maximum length at which performance can be certified. A lower quality cable can sometimes work at higher signal rates if it is short.

Each increasing spec of the cable is backward compatible and contains all of the advantages of the lower types.

There are a few HDMI certifications or specs to look for on the packages:
HDMI 1.0:
165MHz clock - 4.95GB/s bandwidth. -same as DVI. - 1920x1080 - 1920x1200

HDMI 1.1:
as above plus supports DVD-audio as well.

HDMI 1.2:
as above plus supports 'One-Bit-Audio" as used on Super Audio CDs.
Supported 720P at 100 and 120Hz.
Certified as agnostic toward specific data formats but rather certified for bandwidth, noise/EMI.

HDMI 1.3:
Category 1 - 74.5MHz - 720p60 and 1080i60 "Standard" cable
Category 2 - 340 MHz - 1080p60 and 2160p30 "High Speed" cable

HDMI 1.4:
Standard HDMI Cable – up to 1080i and 720p
Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet
Standard Automotive HDMI Cable
High Speed HDMI Cable – 1080p, 4K 30 Hz, 3D and deep color
High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

HDMI 2.0:
600MHz - 18 Gigabits /second - 2160p60 - EMI tested to not interfere with wireless (your drone's 2.4 and 5.8GHz signals)
Premium High Speed HDMI Cable – 4K 60 Hz, Rec. 2020, and HDR
Premium High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

HDMI 2.1:
48 Gigabits - "48G" - 4K, 5K, 8K and 10K at 120 Hz.
Ultra High Speed 48G
Backwards compatible older HDMI devices.
HDMI type A, C and D connectors.
Includes HDMI Ethernet.

Great info, thanks!

There’s a wide selection of HDMI cables and “bend” adapters to be found on Amazon and your class descriptions will help a lot.

So I was out flying and let some one use my Yuneec Goggles attached to my ST16, he said it was so cool but it made him dizzy so he had to sit down and take them off.:D

I guess I am late to the topic and see that a standard cable can be had, but since the number of wires was asked about, I wish to point out that great care must be taken when considering work with HDMI cables, as in soldering a free end to a board. Splicing two cables is generally not done.

For the purpose of the goggles and a 10 FT cable, even the oldest, lowest specification HDMI cable or any DVI cable with the right connectors will work.

I spent some time in the manufacturers' end of the professional video industry.
Some HDMI info that may be worth knowing:

An HDMI cable is composed of four shielded twisted pairs of wire, with an impedance of 100 Ohms, plus seven additional separate wire conductors. In the '+ ethernet' versions, which do not concern FPV users, the wiring has a slightly different arrangement.

A low voltage differential RF signal is used to transport the data.
Because the signal is RF, splicing is to be avoided and all connections must be completed so that each wire is virtually the same length to avoid degredation of data (skew, timing, phase, common-mode related errors). For this reason no one splices the cables except in an emergency. It does not always work right.

The performance of HDMI cables is limited by the quality and length. 13-15 meters is the generally accepted maximum length at which performance can be certified. A lower quality cable can sometimes work at higher signal rates if it is short.

Each increasing spec of the cable is backward compatible and contains all of the advantages of the lower types.

There are a few HDMI certifications or specs to look for on the packages:
HDMI 1.0:
165MHz clock - 4.95GB/s bandwidth. -same as DVI. - 1920x1080 - 1920x1200

HDMI 1.1:
as above plus supports DVD-audio as well.

HDMI 1.2:
as above plus supports 'One-Bit-Audio" as used on Super Audio CDs.
Supported 720P at 100 and 120Hz.
Certified as agnostic toward specific data formats but rather certified for bandwidth, noise/EMI.

HDMI 1.3:
Category 1 - 74.5MHz - 720p60 and 1080i60 "Standard" cable
Category 2 - 340 MHz - 1080p60 and 2160p30 "High Speed" cable

HDMI 1.4:
Standard HDMI Cable – up to 1080i and 720p
Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet
Standard Automotive HDMI Cable
High Speed HDMI Cable – 1080p, 4K 30 Hz, 3D and deep color
High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

HDMI 2.0:
600MHz - 18 Gigabits /second - 2160p60 - EMI tested to not interfere with wireless (your drone's 2.4 and 5.8GHz signals)
Premium High Speed HDMI Cable – 4K 60 Hz, Rec. 2020, and HDR
Premium High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

HDMI 2.1:
48 Gigabits - "48G" - 4K, 5K, 8K and 10K at 120 Hz.
Ultra High Speed 48G
Backwards compatible older HDMI devices.
HDMI type A, C and D connectors.
Includes HDMI Ethernet.

Wow, that is great information. I knew HDMI cables vary greatly in quality and performance but now I know why and what to look for when making a purchase. Thanks for the detail Patrick

So I was out flying and let some one use my Yuneec Goggles attached to my ST16, he said it was so cool but it made him dizzy so he had to sit down and take them off.:D

My H package came with the goggles but I have not used them yet. When I got my Samsung Smartphone a few years ago, it came with a VR headset. Used it once and it was very disorienting so I never used it again. My question is this.... What is to be gained by using a VR headset instead of the ST16 display and actually watching the H in flight?

My H package came with the goggles but I have not used them yet. When I got my Samsung Smartphone a few years ago, it came with a VR headset. Used it once and it was very disorienting so I never used it again. My question is this.... What is to be gained by using a VR headset instead of the ST16 display and actually watching the H in flight?

There is glare looking at the ST16, when I come home to review what I had recorded I realize I missed nicer video shots.
With the goggles I don't have that issue. I see every thing better. Of course I need a spotter.
I bought a 22 foot (Premium High Speed HDMI cable) with a double female HDMI coupler to attach the short HDMI cable that came with the goggles. :)

Reactions: Camflyer15

Good advice. Just don't even waste time trying it. Nineteen tiny wires or so, many of which are neatly encased as individual pairs, with timing and other issues associated with cable construction, such that any attempt to manually open and manipulate the cable or its connectors will likely end in destruction of the cable. I've been soldering since I was a small boy in short pants, but the micro-surgery involved in repairing an HDMI cable is far beyond me, and I have yet to read about anyone else who tried it and succeeded.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Siyaco