Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec should have fixed it the first time!

Reaction score
The ST-16 is definitely a weak link in the Typhoon H system as stated by another poster. I sent mine in to Yuneec soon after purchase for a problem with J2. When pushed to the right the pot was not returning to center. Yuneec sent it back with a sheet saying it checked out OK. However, when I checked J2 after getting it back, it still would not return to center.

I contacted Yuneec again and was told to calibrate it again. That worked for a while. Eventually, at times it would calibrate and work and sometimes it would need several attempts before working. So I nursed it along. I was told that as long as it “passed” in the calibration testing, it was fine.

Recently I started to notice severe drifting… J2 to the right. Now it is slow to return to center when pushed left and EXTREMELY slow to return “towards” center when pushed to the right. It never quite gets to center. It won’t calibrate (turn the J2 box green) but still passes the test on the next screen!

It took four days by email for CS to get back to me. They asked to confirm my address and phone number (although I included my address in my CS request) and they would hook me up with an RMA and shipping label. Took another day to receive my RMA. And another day to receive the shipping label after I reminded them that they didn’t send me one.

After a week and a half, who knows how long it will be in for repair and IF it will be repaired correctly this time.

Worst of all… They’re having me send it to UR Technologies!!!

Wish they would have just fixed the **** thing the first time!

Last edited:
It's a mechanical part with contacts and it can make poor contact that is easily fixed with moving the stick around. If I sent in everything in my studio I own that dirt got into I'd have no equipment. Buy another stick and swap it out yourself. All radios can suffer from this. Or just learn to work the stick clean pre flight and when you see odd behavior, work it around again. It will stop.

Reactions: The Boathouse
It's not sent in yet. Was waiting for replies here before I did.

It's still under warranty, though, so I don't feel I should be dishing out cash to replace stick module.

This has been happening since day 1 only on right yaw. I have been trying to "wipe" the pot clean all along by repeatedly moving the stick. Even thought of contact cleaner but don't want to void any warranty.

It's not sent in yet. Was waiting for replies here before I did.
It's still under warranty, though, so I don't feel I should be dishing out cash to replace stick module.
This has been happening since day 1 only on right yaw. I have been trying to "wipe" the pot clean all along by repeatedly moving the stick. Even thought of contact cleaner but don't want to void any warranty.
I understand it's still under warranty, but if you can fix it in 15 minutes why wait for a warranty fix.
The fastest way to fix it: go to an automotive parts store and get a spray can of electrical contact cleaner (the type that says safe for plastic). Spray around the base of the stick while moving it in all directions. Do it several times. It evaporates quickly. Then check it in Hardware Monitor to see that it is working smoothly and returns to center. You may need to do the ST16 calibration after it's clean and working.

The other method is to order a new stick. They are $15 and a fairly easy fix. About 45 minutes.
Yuneec ST10, ST10+, ST16 Replacement Joystick

The manner in which you wrote your initial post was not conducive to receiving any help at all. It's why I didn't reply earlier, and wondering why I'm bothering to now.

You don't need to "dish out cash", you can certainly continue with warranty returns and the blame game. You can also choose to avoid the time involved with that and handle it yourself. You could also call Yuneec and better explain the situation, calmly, politely, with a semblance of maturity, and likely obtain a new gimbal and/or permission to effect repair. How you approach the situation will determine the results you obtain.

Personally, I find easy repairs to be something I take care of myself. It saves considerable time that as a commercial operator I find valuable. Then again, I'm not too concerned about voiding a warranty, having new systems modified by a vendor and voiding any warranty before it's received, which is a position many don't share.

I understand it's still under warranty, but if you can fix it in 15 minutes why wait for a warranty fix.
The fastest way to fix it: go to an automotive parts store and get a spray can of electrical contact cleaner (the type that says safe for plastic). Spray around the base of the stick while moving it in all directions. Do it several times. It evaporates quickly. Then check it in Hardware Monitor to see that it is working smoothly and returns to center. You may need to do the ST16 calibration after it's clean and working.

The other method is to order a new stick. They are $15 and a fairly easy fix. About 45 minutes.

It probably would be best to remove the module and spray directly on the pot. But it's really the principal of the matter. They sent it back the first time without doing anything to it. It came back with the same problem I sent it in for. I expect my employees to get it right the first time. There's no reason I shouldn't expect that of others.

Do you still have snow on the ground, Steve? ;)

Last edited:
It probably would be best to remove the module and spray directly on the pot. But it's really the principal of the matter. They sent it back the first time without doing anything to it. It came back with the same problem I sent it in for. I expect my employees to get it right the first time. There's no reason I shouldn't expect that of others.
Do you still have snow on the ground, Steve? ;)
No snow now. This was a pic of a gal down at the Lake on June 3rd, 2014.

little_girls_point_ice.jpg little_girls_point_ice.jpg

In the event that you decide to order a new joy stick, you might want to read the reviews from two who did buy new joy sticks. Here is what their reviews said:

=======================================================================
star5.png

Poorly packed
Connection points came in all bend over not sure if they are damaged , but these need to be in separate boxes, not plastic bags, and checked before resale. other than than they seem fine :)

*VD* These were originally manufactured for the ST10 which uses a connection board 90 degrees offset from that of the ST16. In our tests, a single bend to align to the correct position did not adversely affect the function.
Did you find this helpful?
1 of 1 Found Helpful
Reviewed by: (Verified Buyer) Brian Mackey from Eagle. on 4/19/2017

star5.png

Only oem replacement available!
Searched for ST16 joystick replacement; this is the only vendor selling on the web. As previous reviewer noted, one connector is oriented vertically and requires moving 90 degrees to a horizontal position for use in the ST16. Otherwise it is a direct replacement and cured my poor rudder performance.
Did you find this helpful?
Reviewed by: (Verified Buyer) David Gustin from USA. on 6/4/2017
=======================================================================

Good luck

Hi,

I have the same issue and programmed J2 in a way that it is not causing any problems (+/- 10% idle zone). But reading this I can fix the root cause. Are there any YouTube instructions that shows how?

Thanks and cheers

Hi,
I have the same issue and programmed J2 in a way that it is not causing any problems (+/- 10% idle zone). But reading this I can fix the root cause. Are there any YouTube instructions that shows how?
Thanks and cheers
I haven't seen any. Maybe it's time to make one.

Hi,

Thanks and cheers

You can fake this by moving up a little from turtle. If I'm in the air and I see stubborn yaw response, I add a little more "juice" with more rabbit tilt. Works every time.

You can fake this by moving up a little from turtle. If I'm in the air and I see stubborn yaw response, I add a little more "juice" with more rabbit tilt. Works every time.

Looks like this isn't an isolated flaw in our "H" machines. I, too, have found the yaw to be quite sluggish unless I push the stick full left or right. But it still turns slowly. I have the right lever to full up in 'rabbit mode', too.

I did some checking in Hardware Monitor and mine shows less than 100 % movement when pushing left or right yaw. However, if I pull the left stick down and to the right or left corners, it shows 100%. But pushing straight left or right, it doesn't give 100%. Only about 60% at best.

Hang on sec.... DANG! I just fired up my ST16 and went to Hardware Monitor and now it's working just fine!! I pushed left and right on the left stick and it goes to 100% ....go figure!

Looks like this isn't an isolated flaw in our "H" machines. I, too, have found the yaw to be quite sluggish unless I push the stick full left or right. But it still turns slowly. I have the right lever to full up in 'rabbit mode', too.
This isn't just with Yuneec. Any control that uses potentiometers will eventually have the same issue. Pots get a tiny bit of dust or oxidation in them and become erratic. It's an easy procedure to clean them. If you notice something strange with the sticks just land and move the sticks in all directions several times. That usually fixes the problem. If it persists then you need to clean them as mentioned above.

Reactions: Rayray
This isn't just with Yuneec. Any control that uses potentiometers will eventually have the same issue. Pots get a tiny bit of dust or oxidation in them and become erratic. It's an easy procedure to clean them. If you notice something strange with the sticks just land and move the sticks in all directions several times. That usually fixes the problem. If it persists then you need to clean them as mentioned above.

That's it right there...work the dirt out. I'm amazed Yuneec even considers this a warranty issue.

It's not and certainly should not be viewed as one. Yuneec can't control how owners treat the equipment, or the conditions it might be operated in. To be fair, I've seen people operate UAV's in a desert sandstorm complain avout having a dirty air filter, then refuse to change it because it had yet to reach the normal service cycle period.

I suppose I should finish off this thread... Yuneec ended up replacing the ST16. I was able to speak with the service manager. She told me that there was more wrong with it than just cleaning the pots or even replacing the stick module. Wouldn't say what else it could have been but I was surprised that I got that much info.

I suppose I should finish off this thread... Yuneec ended up replacing the ST16. I was able to speak with the service manager. She told me that there was more wrong with it than just cleaning the pots or even replacing the stick module. Wouldn't say what else it could have been but I was surprised that I got that much info.
That is interesting as well as surprising. I have not seen any problems with the ST16 other than the sticks. Glad it's finally fixed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval