Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

a couple of shortcomings noticed already

After browsing the manual a couple of important things stand out. Apparently the RTH altitude is not adjustable. from the default 33 ft(90 Ft would be more comfortable). I can already see crashes on the horizon unless you fly in completely unobstructed places. The so called waypoint mode(Cable Cam) is not settable on the ground as from what it says you have to fly it first. Seems a little backwards technically speaking. I'm sure there are other things that were neglected. I guess we'll see.
The earlier videos on the H said you had to fly it first,that info was known.

realsense is just an option at this point and I'm not aware that it could move up like the P4 can. In fact we know very little about it. Being able to change the RTH altitude is just common sense. 33 ft is way too low. anything over 90 would be better.
It will be able to and at a higher speed from the info I garnered over the past two months,in fact I heard that rtf performance will be amazing.

The manual was pulled for a reason.... Perhaps the one you saw was for the Typhoon H that was "shipped" back in MID APRIL :\

I wouldn't put too much stake in what you are reading quite yet. :)

And thank GOD for firmware updates.....
Excellent comment .my thoughts exactly Ibelive that manual is not up to par.

I do understand though , that if you are flying at 100' and above trees and have a issue, I believe it will remain at a 100' and RTH, so theoretically I would be over trees flying and therefore it would RTH over trees, thus no worry. I just don't see any confirmation of that anywhere to my knowledge and I am curious george about it !
Watch those trees! I still have a Cheapo drone up in the trees from two years ago and I swear you can hear it fire up now and then because the chipmunks are reverse engineering that puppy into a nut cracker.

I wouldn't care to much for it, I like to feel control from my fingers to the sticks, although I never used it, so should judge it
No taps here either,I'm not even gonna use the wizard unless for a beacon to film in follow me,I'm gonna get the st12 later.sticks only.

I wouldn't care to much for it, I like to feel control from my fingers to the sticks, although I never used it, so should judge it
I plan many typical uses form the H but also plan to use it as a tool on my farm. For instance, when I irrigate alfalfa, I've had to do a lot of walking. 28 miles in rubber boots in one day according to my fitness tracker. That's more than I ever want to do again. Sometimes it's just a matter of walking from one end of the field to the other to check water progress. Sometimes it's walking down 1,400' of sprinkler pipe checking for plugged sprinklers and then coming back the other direction on the next line, back and forth 11 or 12 times. About 12 hours later each of those lines gets moved over 40-45' for the next set. I could see just tapping the other end of the field and letting the camera tell me if I even needed to fix anything (often not). With breezes, etc. I would think that the H could fly in a straighter line than I could. I can use it to check water level in my ditch (pumping water for sprinkler lines out of the ditch) which is a straight shot from my house or a long drive around a couple of fields and work my way there. When I've got plenty of work to do, easier is more important to me than fun.

Reactions: Chris McMillan
Watch those trees! I still have a Cheapo drone up in the trees from two years ago and I swear you can hear it fire up now and then because the chipmunks are reverse engineering that puppy into a nut cracker.
Theodore is quite smart, and I am sure he could engineer that !

No taps here either,I'm not even gonna use the wizard unless for a beacon to film in follow me,I'm gonna get the st12 later.sticks only.
Yeah I haven't decided yet what to think of the wizard, may have to play with it a bit to gain my trust, I am a stick man my self, never like roll on !

I plan many typical uses form the H but also plan to use it as a tool on my farm. For instance, when I irrigate alfalfa, I've had to do a lot of walking. 28 miles in rubber boots in one day according to my fitness tracker. That's more than I ever want to do again. Sometimes it's just a matter of walking from one end of the field to the other to check water progress. Sometimes it's walking down 1,400' of sprinkler pipe checking for plugged sprinklers and then coming back the other direction on the next line, back and forth 11 or 12 times. About 12 hours later each of those lines gets moved over 40-45' for the next set. I could see just tapping the other end of the field and letting the camera tell me if I even needed to fix anything (often not). With breezes, etc. I would think that the H could fly in a straighter line than I could. I can use it to check water level in my ditch (pumping water for sprinkler lines out of the ditch) which is a straight shot from my house or a long drive around a couple of fields and work my way there. When I've got plenty of work to do, easier is more important to me than fun.
And when the Flir camera is available, you can attach it as a Plug n Play and install a field mapping software(they have them out now) and then it will self fly filming in infra red showing you all the hot/cold spots where your sprinklers are missing and creating dry spots in your crops. Did this (without the Flir) just visual from 350' up for a hay farmer here in Texas and boy you could really see the dry spots all over !

Reactions: HarveyC

Another POSITIVE story about using drones ---- A newspaper or a farming magazine should do a story on this. The public really needs all these positive stories and less of the "near miss" stories. I'm sure one will be hard pressed to find a FAA UAV number on any of those drones that end up being in the wrong place at the wrong time.... I'll always believe those folks are the ones that get the drone out of the box and climb, climb, climb on day one!!!

Another POSITIVE story about using drones ---- A newspaper or a farming magazine should do a story on this. The public really needs all these positive stories and less of the "near miss" stories. I'm sure one will be hard pressed to find a FAA UAV number on any of those drones that end up being in the wrong place at the wrong time.... I'll always believe those folks are the ones that get the drone out of the box and climb, climb, climb on day one!!!
We definitely could use more positive videos and PR about all the good that UAV's do !

Reactions: HarveyC
I read a little bit about them in some farm publications, but not in mainstream media. IR cameras are useful in monitoring crop health as well.

Demunseed's Youtube channel had a discussion about how he was turning over leadership of SWARM. This is something he started after being contacted by a family several years ago to assist in locating a missing family member (he helped narrow down search area and individual was located deceased, car left roadway). This seems like it has the potential for some great media coverage. SAR Drones | UAV Search And Rescue Drones

There are a lot of good they do, they way more out weigh the whinning some uneducated people bark about constantly !

Speaking of 'positive' drone news stories.... On Sunday I posted a short video to Youtube of the progress of my cities new modern 5 year transit development. To my surprise it showed on the 6 o'clock news! I went from 10 views to 5000 in a few hours (almost at 10,000) views today.

At first the news reported that the city made and posted the video but then corrected it to indicate a 'drone enthusiasts' posted it.

So... almost 10,000 views tells me drones do good for local citizens. Here is the news link:

Watch this drone footage for bird's eye view of LRT construction progress

Speaking of 'positive' drone news stories.... On Sunday I posted a short video to Youtube of the progress of my cities new modern 5 year transit development. To my surprise it showed on the 6 o'clock news! I went from 10 views to 5000 in a few hours (almost at 10,000) views today.

At first the news reported that the city made and posted the video but then corrected it to indicate a 'drone enthusiasts' posted it.

So... almost 10,000 views tells me drones do good for local citizens. Here is the news link:

Good job Captain !

Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
If you've been flying the Q500, then you probably know it's better to gain altitude before hitting Home. I fly in forested areas a lot, so I rarely can see the bird. If I use RTH then I always go high first. It's never been a problem. Just part of knowing how to fly your bird and what the limitations are.

Great job Captain. I'm sure that provided more information to the public in a few short minutes than they could have gotten any other way. Impressive flying and editing.

Great job Captain. I'm sure that provided more information to the public in a few short minutes than they could have gotten any other way. Impressive flying and editing.
Thanks! I'm hoping it gives me some street cred to be allowed to film events/locations that would require permission.

Unless you're flying in a valley, controlling from a hilltop.

If you launched from the hilltop it would climb back up to 30' above the launch altitude. Whether it did that in a direct vertical climb or on a tangent to the home point is a question I don't have an answer for. They don't fly using MSL altitudes as a zero reference point, but AGL, relative to the altitude they were launched at. I fly a Chroma, which is a Yuneec product, and they most certainly do remain at a higher altitude if that's where they were being flown at when RTH is triggered.

In any case, this is just the first round for the H. I'm sure there's room for new stuff later.

Reactions: DroneClone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy