Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Aircraft/drone collisions

In Canada, we have a height limit of 90 meters, around 300 ft. We also must be 5 km (3 miles) from the center of the airport. If you follow this,there should be no chance of a collusion, but, not everyone follows rules. As with cars, there will be incidents.

I am new to UAV flying, but it appears that almost ALL incidents of “near misses” are caused by people exceeding the 400 foot height limit when flying. ( And many times by far! ) Hard to understand when the sites you see are much better when lower to the ground. I’m already resigned to the fact that one knucklehead will ruin it for all of us by colliding with a manned aircraft “ necessitating” strict laws or bans on the hobby. Enjoy it while you can.

strict laws or bans on the hobby. Enjoy it while you can.
If banned or stricter laws, I think those of use who have our Pilots License will be able to continue flying drones. It would require use to stay current and pass the physical. I'm all for it.

I am new to UAV flying, but it appears that almost ALL incidents of “near misses” are caused by people exceeding the 400 foot height limit when flying. ( And many times by far! ) Hard to understand when the sites you see are much better when lower to the ground. I’m already resigned to the fact that one knucklehead will ruin it for all of us by colliding with a manned aircraft “ necessitating” strict laws or bans on the hobby. Enjoy it while you can.
All my better photographs and videos were shot at heights fairly low to the ground in most cases below 150". To get the best pictures in most cases, low is good.

Reactions: Rubik
I would venture a guess that if YouTube removed posts that involved illegal drone usage 90% of the illegal flights would not take place as there would not be an audience for the foolhardy stunts that are pulled to get hits on their YT Channel. Same thing goes for Facebook and other social media.

If the stupidity contest is removed there will be fewer contestants vying for the crown of I’m the biggest idiot in the world.

Reactions: J Freeman and AH-1G
If you've registered your drone to get an FAA number, the website also recommends the app "B4UFLY" which is by the FAA and will not only tell you how close to an airport you are but allows you to log 1) how high will you fly. 2) how far will you fly. 3) how long will you fly there.
I'm assuming it's to log where you are for any flight patterns associated with your area, the app also has a map of the area showing planes and helicopters in your area, a planner and more... if this could justify your flying in an airspace that is a flight path approved by a helicopter or small plane at the same time.... but then again it is FAA and might be used against you.... worth downloading and checking it out.
Ramrod

If you've registered your drone to get an FAA number, the website also recommends the app "B4UFLY" which is by the FAA and will not only tell you how close to an airport you are but allows you to log 1) how high will you fly. 2) how far will you fly. 3) how long will you fly there.
I'm assuming it's to log where you are for any flight patterns associated with your area, the app also has a map of the area showing planes and helicopters in your area, a planner and more... if this could justify your flying in an airspace that is a flight path approved by a helicopter or small plane at the same time.... but then again it is FAA and might be used against you.... worth downloading and checking it out.
Ramrod

It does NOT display air traffic! It does display every little grass strip from 1950 to present, real airports, heliports, and seaplane bases. It shows them whether they are still operational or not and the contact data is just as bad. Out of twenty five such areas around me in Florida only one contact was correct and that person had no problem with me flying at anytime as long as I was vigilant of traffic around his airstrip.

AirMap is essentially the same as B4UFly. Pretty much worthless. Regarding B4UFly, people should think carefully about the possible repercussions of using an app that links your phone, location, and flight info to a government server.

Personally I use KittyHawk and UAVForecast as far as apps go. I use SkyVector on my computer to review Sectional Charts. SkyVector is nice because it also displays current TFRs.

And bottom line is that in the US people are all going to have to learn to read sectional charts. I am nearly 100% certain that the coming FAA Recreational sUAS test will include a lot of questions about airspace. This is because airspace awareness is not built into where you can fly and how. No better time to get a jump on learning to read them. Plus, they are sort of fun in a sick kinda way to know how to decipher!!

Reactions: PatR
View attachment 14107 currently on a Thursday afternoon 20,000+ birds in the sky so the possibility is there, all it takes is one to cause an incident.. Just a matter of time before next...!

And look at how big they are... one of them could cover all of Jamaica, mon... big sky, little airplane... pfffffttt...:eek:

If the stupidity contest is removed there will be fewer contestants vying for the crown of I’m the biggest idiot in the world.

...errr that term would be, Global Village Idiot ;)

Personally I use KittyHawk and UAVForecast as far as apps go. I use SkyVector on my computer to review Sectional Charts. SkyVector is nice because it also displays current TFRs.

I also use Skyvector for similar reasons, plus they provide airport contact info. Other sites used are Weather Underground for area weather and Google Earth for terrain and obstacle proximity references.

I don’t pay a lot of attention to kP index as I’ve experienced no issues on days having high kP index and having functional GPS is not a mandatory navigation aid for me in most cases. If I was shooting things that required long straight flight paths GPS would bear more importance.

Reactions: AH-1G and Phaedrus
I don't agree with stricter laws or only allowing licensed pilots to fly drones. I think a better answer is to strictly enforce the laws we have and make it unprofitable, as well as risking a record for violating the rules. We have to pass a certificate to fly as of June 1st, either basic or advanced. To fly the advanced, you need to have a drone certified by Transport Canada's list, which, being Yuneec Pilots none of ours do. We just need to enforce the laws.

Last edited:
Yuneec will never have an approved drone on Transport Canada’s list unless and until someone independently submits one for certification. Whomever that individual or group is will have to generate the documentation package as well. I’ll suggest someone read the text of the law, obtain the requirements and try to work and comply with them as written. Don’t try to interpret them as doing so always causes immense problems.

It’s an unfortunate fact of life that Yuneec fails to develop and provide reasonable user and maintenance documentation with their products, things that are absolutely essential in the commercial market.

Reactions: AH-1G

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig