Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Auto update?

Reaction score
I'm a bit nervous, I just received my typhoon h pro yesterday and it came with the st16 firmware version 3.01 and I tried to install the new version 3.04 from website download via SD card, however it downloaded from website via Internet wireless. I have been flying drones for years and have had issues in the past and near crashes with my DJI phantom 4 pro only after wireless update and have only used SD card for my q500 without issues. Has anyone done this Internet firmware update with issues? I still need to calibrate accelerometer and compass this afternoon, and then sit for 15 minutes as recommended to reset GPS calibration. I'm a very cautious flyer and have had crashes when I was flying an Upair one version 2 due to buggy GPS/compass, and bad elctronics. I had short loss of control after an update on my phantom 4 pro, that made me crap my pants a little, as I was over the water at the time. I wanted to update firmware before flying, but I haven't even flown once with it yet so just a little apprehensive.

I'm a bit nervous, I just received my typhoon h pro yesterday and it came with the st16 firmware version 3.01 and I tried to install the new version 3.04 from website download via SD card, however it downloaded from website via Internet wireless. I have been flying drones for years and have had issues in the past and near crashes with my DJI phantom 4 pro only after wireless update and have only used SD card for my q500 without issues. Has anyone done this Internet firmware update with issues? I still need to calibrate accelerometer and compass this afternoon, and then sit for 15 minutes as recommended to reset GPS calibration. I'm a very cautious flyer and have had crashes when I was flying an Upair one version 2 due to buggy GPS/compass, and bad elctronics. I had short loss of control after an update on my phantom 4 pro, that made me crap my pants a little, as I was over the water at the time. I wanted to update firmware before flying, but I haven't even flown once with it yet so just a little apprehensive.
I have done the wireless update one time and it worked well. I prefer to download directly to the pc as you indicate, but if it looked like it finished then it should be good.
The firmware should look like this after the update:
Latest_2017-06-30-22-11-26.png

Welcome to the world of the Typhoon H:) You'll find it quite different from the product line you were flying previously. You will need to be a lot more actively involved in the flying of the H than the others, but that's part of what is so nice about the H. You actually get to pilot the aircraft instead of just being along for the ride.

I have not done an OTA update as yet but I have not heard of anyone having issues with the actual upload doing it. Where a few have run into problems is with not understanding what may be required for the new firmware to become visible on the Settings page. If such happens for you, stop what you are doing, don't try a bunch of other things you might be guessing at to make it show up which can cause unnecessary problems. Come back here and advise of a problem and we'll help you complete the process and not mess up the system. That's not said to cause you any worry, but to make it easier for us to walk you through a minor additional step or two to finish out the process should you need assistance:) Yuneec does not issue "mandatory" updates;)

For general information geared towards new owners of an H, the following. The Typhoon H does not require having the latest firmware installed to fly correctly. If a new aircraft is only one or two versions back it will still fly just fine, more than well enough for the new owner to get used to the aircraft and put some time into learning the system. If they happen to have obtained an H that still had the original firmware from April/May of last year it would still fly just fine, lacking only the new features that were provided with later firmware updates. Taking the time for learning helps the new owners avoid introducing/experiencing errors in the update process that have caused some a lot of angst. Unlike DJI, Yuneec does not require a new owner to "log in" and sign a long and complex EULA disclaimer before they can fly their aircraft. With the exception of a small number of no fly zones your H system is "unlocked" the moment you first power it up. We'll save any more about the limited number of NFZ's for a later date.

OTA versus SD card firmware updates and data security:
For those that may have concerns about maintaining security of their flight data. Yuneec does not collect your telemetry data and can only obtain it if you provide it to them. One possible way for a telemetry data exchange to occur would be an OTA update. Although I do not believe Yuneec requests or receives any telemetry during an OTA update, it could be possible, so if you want to maintain secure separation from the manufacturer do not use an OTA update. The card transfer process works just fine.

Two other ways are present for the manufacturer to obtain telemetry data, both of which are under the control of the aircraft owner. One is by providing telemetry to Yuneec after a crash for warranty review. The other is when an owner returns an ST-16 to Yuneec for repairs without first clearing the telemetry files. Since telemetry of an incident flight is required to qualify a warranty repair some discussion with Yuneec about just how much telemetry is required before sending things back could be useful for some. The point of the above is that unlike DJI systems, the owner controls their data, the owner owns their aircraft without manufacturer interference, and that only an OTA update has any possibility of revealing data a user may want to keep secure. Users should think about how they want or need to do things before choosing to use the OTA update method.

Don't forget to calibrate everything after an update. Enjoy your new H!

OTA is cool.
Mind to re-calibrate the whole of the H after updating, like Pat says.

Never encountered any problems with the automatic update.

I'll add to what PatR said in that to be sure that once you do any calibrations after the update be sure to do a power cycle.

I completely agree with what PatR said. Wise words indeed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterfantastic