Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery charger failure?

Reaction score
First post and it's an annoyance. Got my Typhoon H from Costco yesterday and started setting it up this evening. Got to the part about charging the batteries and set up the charger; when I put the battery on it the display went from blinking green to a succession of blinks and beeps I could not figure out, based on the scant info in the startup guide. It was something like BEEP, and then a succession of lights that included a few flashes of green, a red, a red/green, and a blue. It would then beep and start this all over. Alas, I did NOT notice the small print on the charger that provided a fuller explanation re what the flashes meant.
In any case, both batteries yielded the exact same sequence, and I found it hard to believe that a BEEP every ten seconds or so was normal. I then decided connected the controller to the charger with a battery also in the charger, as shown in the illustration in the setup guide. The ST16 came to life and was trying to connect to the camera, which wasn't set up yet, and I didn't get any useful info off the screen, so I **** it down.
About then was when I noticed the charger had gone dark. I also noted the slightly "skunky" smell one associates with overheated electronics; I'd noted it earlier in this ten-minute adventure, too. Now it was distinct if you sniffed at the cooling vents on the charger.
And now, other than getting somewhat warm, the charger does nothing - no lights, no beeps, no nothing, no matter what. The 110v wall plugs I've used are fine.
I tried the YUNEEC 844 number, hoping for ONCE in my life it would get answered in some Asian call center, but nope, the good ol' USA - where of course they'll be back Tuesday morning, and not busy at ALL.
Anybody else had charger issues? I'm thinking that's likely what this was.

Sounds like a bad charger all right. Id take it back to Costco and ask for an exchange. I personally use a Hitec X2 charger, but I rewired the Yuneec charging base to use with it so I can use the drop in function.
If Costco wont take care of you, Yuneec will. They may be a bit slow, but they will come through for you.

First post and it's an annoyance. Got my Typhoon H from Costco yesterday and started setting it up this evening. Got to the part about charging the batteries and set up the charger; when I put the battery on it the display went from blinking green to a succession of blinks and beeps I could not figure out, based on the scant info in the startup guide. It was something like BEEP, and then a succession of lights that included a few flashes of green, a red, a red/green, and a blue. It would then beep and start this all over. Alas, I did NOT notice the small print on the charger that provided a fuller explanation re what the flashes meant.
In any case, both batteries yielded the exact same sequence, and I found it hard to believe that a BEEP every ten seconds or so was normal. I then decided connected the controller to the charger with a battery also in the charger, as shown in the illustration in the setup guide. The ST16 came to life and was trying to connect to the camera, which wasn't set up yet, and I didn't get any useful info off the screen, so I **** it down.
About then was when I noticed the charger had gone dark. I also noted the slightly "skunky" smell one associates with overheated electronics; I'd noted it earlier in this ten-minute adventure, too. Now it was distinct if you sniffed at the cooling vents on the charger.
And now, other than getting somewhat warm, the charger does nothing - no lights, no beeps, no nothing, no matter what. The 110v wall plugs I've used are fine.
I tried the YUNEEC 844 number, hoping for ONCE in my life it would get answered in some Asian call center, but nope, the good ol' USA - where of course they'll be back Tuesday morning, and not busy at ALL.
Anybody else had charger issues? I'm thinking that's likely what this was.

I only charge my ST16 using the included charger. Recently, I was going to charge my ST16 battery and plugged in the charger and then connected to the ST16 with the USB cable. I suddenly noticed a bit of smoke coming from the charger so I cut the power immediately. I disconnected from the ST16. I think I plugged the USB cable it before I turned on power to my strip outlet!

Then I started all over again by plugging the charger into my power strip and turned it on. Then I connected to the ST16 after the initial blinking of lights. Then it worked just fine. I suspect you may have connected all the cables first, and then turned on or plugged in the charger. I recall the instructions say to plug it in first before connect the USB cable.

In your case, I would take it back to Costco since they have a better warranty setup than most other outlets.

In case you don't have the manual, here is the section on Charging:

CHARGING
Power the SC4000-4 charger from a 100-240V AC outlet using the AC
adapter/power supply, or from a 12V-16.8V DC accessory socket/cigarette
lighter receptacle in a vehicle using the included adapter.

Plug the aircraft battery into the charger port as illustrated.
A green blinking LED indicates the charger is powered on and ready to
charge, and a red blinking LED indicates the battery is charging. It will take
approximately 2.5 hours to charge a fully discharged (not over-discharged)
battery. A solid green LED indicates the battery is fully charged.

WARNING:
All instructions and warnings must be followed exactly
to prevent property damage and/or serious injury as the mishandling of
Li-ion/LiPo batteries can result in fire.

FOR THE ST16 GROUND STATION
You can charge the ST16 battery by using supplied USB cable and
inserting it into the USB port on the charger. It will take approximately 5
hours to charge a fully discharged (not over-discharged) battery.

WARNING:
Do not leave the battery in the charger after the battery is
fully charged.

Anyone willing to wait 5 hours to charge the ST-16 is nuts. If you don't already have one, pick up a tablet charger with a micro USB plug and get it done in an hour to hour and a half.

Reactions: GWA1225
Anyone willing to wait 5 hours to charge the ST-16 is nuts. If you don't already have one, pick up a tablet charger with a micro USB plug and get it done in an hour to hour and a half.

Thanks, folks. I did contact YUNEEC and they sent a new charger out which got to VA a week later. Charged up both batteries, though one initially showed n interesting assortment of bleeps initially, indicating it was balancing the cells.
This evening, after a successful first flight using one battery, the charger went from flashing green to the dreaded Blue Beep when I put it into the charger. I decided it was a bit warm and that was probably it. I tried again when it was completely cool and got the same warning. Then I tried the other, previously-charged and unused one, and got the same thing. SO, I inserted the battery first and THEN plugged in the charger. Bingo!
Per the other suggestions, I'm gonna charge the controller on one of my other USB chargers. I'm not too impressed with the YUNEEC. Another recommended one is outta stock at Amazon, unknown refill date.

I've noticed that the TH flight batteries insert very tightly into the chargers. If not completely inserted, results may be unexpected. I can't imagine why battery first or AC power first should make a difference.
I agree with Pat that regular USB chargers are much faster for the ST16.

I've noticed that the TH flight batteries insert very tightly into the chargers. If not completely inserted, results may be unexpected. I can't imagine why battery first or AC power first should make a difference.
I agree with Pat that regular USB chargers are much faster for the ST16.
I can't imagine why either. But twice, the unplug/replug took me from the Blue Light Special back to normal charging.

The stock Yuneec charger needs batteries to be pushed firmly into it for the small battery contacts to connect with the charger contact points. It may just be a matter of pushing the battery in a little further.

I put a battery on charge about a hour ago for an expected flight tomorrow and finished up having to go through the set-up procedure a second time before it started charging normally.

I've had to do this on a couple occasions previously and I see it as more of an annoyance than anything more serious going on. BTW, I never leave a charging Li-Po battery unattended.

I push my batts in VERY firmly, pushing down and then wiggling them a bit to make sure they're making contact. I've even sprayed the connxns lightly with WD-40 on one of them.
I know there's no logical reason why charger unplug/ replug, or battery in and then power up charger should matter. But trust me, in the case of my charger and batts, it often does.

May I suggest you step up and obtain a quality after market charger that provides for multiple battery chemistries and considerably more functionality? Consumer drone packages provide but the minimum necessary to get people going, and what is provided for accessories just isn't up to the highest possible standards.

May I suggest you step up and obtain a quality after market charger that provides for multiple battery chemistries and considerably more functionality? Consumer drone packages provide but the minimum necessary to get people going, and what is provided for accessories just isn't up to the highest possible standards.

I've seen the Venom charger suggested for the Typhoon H batts.. Do you have a suggestion on a charger / adapter combo for the ST-16 battery? Even if I have to unplug it from the base station I'd rather not wait for 5 hours for that dang thing to finish charging.. I can't believe it takes that long.. :p

I use a Hitec X2 DC charger with an external power supply. Does 2 batteries at a time. There are several great quality chargers to choose from of different manufacturers. Don't look for the cheapest, but one from a maker with a long history of quality products.

I've had my "H" for just over a year and when I first got it, I think the instructions said charging the battery in the ST-16 could take just over 4 hours on the first charge. And mine did take that long. BUT, it only takes about an hour each time since then.
Happy Landings!

I'm a new H owner, and I have the same Costco story as GWA1225. Sucks. I have to drive around town with the charger plugged into the cigarette lighter to charge my batteries. Love the drone, hate the charging quirks.

You always have the option of obtaining a better charging system. Most people flying RC obtain better chargers as needed. Most all professionals do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22