Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery Discharger

Reaction score
Anyone know of a cheap battery discharger similar to what's available for the DJI Phantom series (basically a 12v halogen bulb with auto-shutdown at 55%)? I am already aware of charging units that do this as well - but just want to take my batteries down to 50% when needed. Thanks!

Anyone know of a cheap battery discharger similar to what's available for the DJI Phantom series (basically a 12v halogen bulb with auto-shutdown at 55%)? I am already aware of charging units that do this as well - but just want to take my batteries down to 50% when needed. Thanks!

Yes, I use the Phantom Angel with XT60 connector.

I see a bunch on Ebay around $8.50 or so. Can't make one for that.
If there's no dynamic voltage indicator, beware of taking your battery too low.

I decided to go into this deeper since my Hi-Tec unit will discharge a max of .6 amps. You can set it to 5 amps, but no use.
Takes 2 hours to drop 1 volt. So it seems. I do personally believe it's not good to leave a 16.8 battery more than a couple days without use (My opinion).

The main problem with the "Angel discharger"" is that the 12 v. Halogen bulb idea is for the P3, an S3 system. Use it on our 4S system and the bulb ain't gonna last long at 15-16 volts.

There are some universal dischargers designed for use up to 6S. They usually use Power Resisters and a monitoring controller.
You can make your own, but take care to not ruin your batteries.

I may be coming out of left field with this but I figure if your going to spend $1000.00+ on an aerial camera rig the smart move is to also obtain battery charging/discharging/monitoring equipment that provides an effective means of dealing with the air vehicles primary power supply. To me that means obtaining a good charger, one that accepts different battery chemistries and charge/discharge rates while providing state of battery information that's used to assist in assuring the air vehicle is safe for flight.

If that option is too expensive for some it's quite possible they are involved in something that costs more than they can comfortably afford. Short changing maintenance or using inappropriate maintenance practices is an effective way of introducing issues that soon show up in flight and cause crashes.

I may be coming out of left field with this but I figure if your going to spend $1000.00+ on an aerial camera rig the smart move is to also obtain battery charging/discharging/monitoring equipment that provides an effective means of dealing with the air vehicles primary power supply. To me that means obtaining a good charger, one that accepts different battery chemistries and charge/discharge rates while providing state of battery information that's used to assist in assuring the air vehicle is safe for flight.

If that option is too expensive for some it's quite possible they are involved in something that costs more than they can comfortably afford. Short changing maintenance or using inappropriate maintenance practices is an effective way of introducing issues that soon show up in flight and cause crashes.

Yes -- this makes complete sense. Point taken. Which one is best for all 5 of my drones (DJI and Yuneec) without being an electrical engineer is the question. Right now -- just want to avoid having to run the Yuneecs down before storing. Later to get the right battery management system with appropriate research and investigation. Again, your response makes so much sense. thank you.

Here you go. $23. will discharge any 1 to 6 cell pack to 3.8 V per cell. Check this one out.

Intelligent Battery Quick Discharger for RC Model Aircraft 1S-6S Battery | eBay

Tom
I found it again for a better price, $13. It uses two large resisters, the big white things in the picture to burn off the voltage so it doesn't need any bulbs like some other units. see pictures at new link below.

Smart Battery Quick Discharge Module Discharger Fr DJI Phantom 3 2 Inspire 1 HOT

Tom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Li