Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Catching by hand, motors accelerate...

good morning everyone,

I don't know if this has been asked before, but lately, when I bring my H down to catch it by hand, as soon as I hold its legs the motors accelerate wildly and it takes a very long depress of the red button to stop the bird.
It's on the latest firmware.

Any ideas?

tks
Interesting you bring this up. Yesterday TyPilot and I were testing things out on the H, also catching by hand.
Here's what he said will happen and what to do to keep H from accelerating. When you need to catch it by hand bring it down low so as to crouch down a bit or you arm lower than you can stretch it up high, grab the landing gear leg next to the H body, slightly raise the H or keep it very still (this keeps the engines from accelerating). We did use the stick to decelerate and then red button to off. On a boat this may be more difficult. Maybe we'll do a video of this? We do not recommend this procedure for landing, it could come back and slice up you face or hands.:(

Pretty simple really. You commanded the system to hover at a certain height. When you grabbed the landing gear you placed a downward pull on the H. The H tried to counter the downward pull by increasing throttle to maintain the commanded hover position. Being on a boat that likely was not motionless makes this a near certainty.
Perfect answer Patr, I am a silent member who reads and learn from all the regular members who contribute to this forum. Keep it up.

Thank you.

Although I'm one that preaches not to hand catch the H, or any other multirotor, the reason is not that I believe it to be a dangerous practice. There are many instances where it may be the only acceptable means of recovery. For those that understand how a multirotor works, how the autopilot is programmed to respond to external inputs, those that have developed excellent hand, eye, control input response, there's nothing wrong with doing it at all. I do it often as well, and have for years.

However, as has been so well demonstrated in posts from many that experience issues with the practice, many flying multirotors have yet to develop the knowledge and skills necessary that permit hand catching to be a safe means of recovery for them. A few more try to perform hand catches because they lack the motor skills necessary to perform a functional ground landing. Hand catching should not be used to compensate for lack of ability to control the aircraft In fact, hand catching is something that should only be employed by those that have excellent flight control skills, and that understand how their aircraft works. Having that understanding eliminates questions as to why something happens the way it does, while that knowledge also permits the operator to avoid creating the conditions that cause the aircraft to become unstable during the hand catching process. Where I have serious problems with hand catching is with people telling everyone it's a perfectly acceptable means of recovering the aircraft all the time. For newbies, its not, and a mistake can leave them with a face full of propellers. Learn to fly, learn to land, become proficient with the controls and your reaction times, and then move on to hand catching. Learn to walk before trying to run.

Last edited:
Reactions: AH-1G
Not sure I am of help but we hand catch with 2 people, one on e controls other on Typhoon.

There are some sensors on the underside that if you pull in closer tricks it to believing near ground and shut down now issue.

Not recommending it as is not safe but works for us.

On level open ground, I hover 1-4 inches AGL & hit the red button.
If and hazards appear, I hand catch.
BTW:
Close-in precision maneuvering and landing is easier if the Expo’s are set to 15-20.

good morning everyone,

I don't know if this has been asked before, but lately, when I bring my H down to catch it by hand, as soon as I hold its legs the motors accelerate wildly and it takes a very long depress of the red button to stop the bird.
It's on the latest firmware.

Any ideas?

tks
Bernard, no pobs to hand Catch it, but keep the H a bit above your head and dont pull it down, just hold it an use the red button. Have done i many, many, many times w/o problem.

Never move the H during a hand catch and especially don’t pull down. Do not move in for the grab without having your finger already on the kill switch. Start pressing immediately upon gently securing the chosen landing leg in your grip. I recommend holding the vertical part of the leg up high by the body. When the H goes limp at shut off, you have a good hold on the sudden weight increase. Always catch above your head and approach for the catch with confidence and no distractions. I’ve caught toilet bowling craft by standing in the path of the turning and let the H come to me. I’ve not had a tip over ever that was unexpected and I’m still on original props and have too many extras. I must have at least 12 sets by now so I’m good when they stop making them soon as this model is over two years old and production will cease. I still see the 480 as the best camera design and too many shots coming out of the Plus with props in shot so I’ve got enough invested in 480s to fly for years.

Reactions: rdonson

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ok9studio