Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CES 2018; Yuneec 3 announces: Typhoon H Plus, Firebird FPV airplane and HD racer drones

Application is everything... for photos, I think the Peau does OK. But when you throw on the ND filters to bring the shutter speed down to reduce artifacts like prop flicker, vibrational issues (which by the very nature of a magnified image, are more apparent) degrade what I see in video.

Carolina Dronz re-balanced the gimbal at the time they did the Peau install for me. I have not found any gimbal mods that have been particularly effective in significantly improving video with the Peau... have only tried different dampeners (CGO3, CGO3+, a set of Tarot ones that made the vibration worse) with little improvement.

This is why I am currently waiting on the PixAero 6mm to be returned, hoping the vibrational issues will be less apparent with a shorter focal length... as well as the higher sharpness and resolution that I know the PixAero will provide over the Peau. I will be trying different dampeners with the new PixAero, including if I can get a set of dampeners for the E90 to fit.

Application is everything... for photos, I think the Peau does OK. But when you throw on the ND filters to bring the shutter speed down to reduce artifacts like prop flicker, vibrational issues (which by the very nature of a magnified image, are more apparent) degrade what I see in video.

Carolina Dronz re-balanced the gimbal at the time they did the Peau install for me. I have not found any gimbal mods that have been particularly effective in significantly improving video with the Peau... have only tried different dampeners (CGO3, CGO3+, a set of Tarot ones that made the vibration worse) with little improvement.

This is why I am currently waiting on the PixAero 6mm to be returned, hoping the vibrational issues will be less apparent with a shorter focal length... as well as the higher sharpness and resolution that I know the PixAero will provide over the Peau. I will be trying different dampeners with the new PixAero, including if I can get a set of dampeners for the E90 to fit.
Thanks.
I have a 6mm Pixaero on order. We should compare notes when installed and tested. This is probably the wrong thread for this, though.

But on the other hand.......... I think the REAL money in drones, is selling them.
Don't count on this either mate.
Don't get me wrong I can pay the bills buy only if I sell them.
To use a phrase from the Apple world..
Yuneec just Sherlocked themselves and thus us. :(

sherlocked
to have developed a product and just started shipping it, only to have Apple come along and provide exactly the same functionality in a system update. It happened to Karelia Software twice. Once with Sherlock and again with iWeb.
I'll bet the Pro HDR folks groaned and got drunk after the Apple event yesterday where they showed the HDR functionality built in to the OS. They got Sherlocked!
:p:D

I would be in a quandary if you photographers/videographers told me that the CGO3+ delivers better focus than the E90. Are there any side-by-side comparison files I could download?

I have seen no direct tests between the 2 lenses... that would take some work since the platforms have a different resolution sensor that they focus light on. A direct apples to apples comparison would require mounting an E90 lens on a CGO3+, so both lenses are transmitting that focused image onto the same 2/3 sensor.

To not take that extra step, would be equivalent to doing the test on two different film cameras, but using different ISO speed film in each.

I'm quite sure with the design characteristics of the E90, that the lens sharpness is equal or superior to the CGO3+ stock lens. However if my future does hold a E90 or C23, I will certainly be confirming that... and have the techs at Carolina Dronz tweeking the focus adjustment if needed.

Last edited:
A direct apples to apples comparison would require mounting an E90 lens on a CGO3+, so both lenses are transmitting that focused image onto the same 2/3 sensor.
That would be something to see: but I would settle for an apples to pears comparison from an H520/E90 and H480/CGO3+ of the same subject at the same time.

I've been waiting for six to seven months for a true comparison of the E90 to the CG03+ but have seen no proper side by side tests. A lot of filming the H from a 520 and visa versa, and a lot of video on screen of one camera's view and then video from the other camera, but a side by side has not happened.

Thanks rdonson, I had forgotten about that one because the 94˚ FOV lens isn't available in the UK; but it probably makes a better comparator than the 115˚ COG3+.

I can only see Uwe's video in 720p so I can't see as much as I would like. And of course, I wasn't there so can't tell which is a truer depiction of the colours on the day. There is obviously a lot more data and detail in the E90 images but their cyan cast is too strong for me (distractingly so at 4m39s).

And while the E90 DNG images appear significantly sharper than the COG3+, I think the compressed images from the CGO3+ are sharper than those from the E90. I wonder if the default JPG sharpness settings are the same in both cameras because that would explain the reduced sharpening on the much bigger images from the E90. In any event, the sharpness setting can presumably be manually adjusted to taste.

I certainly prefer the E90 images but would want to work on them. But if I had to use footage straight out of the camera using the default settings, I would probably choose the CGO3+ JPG images.

I'm looking at these comparisons on a 4k monitor. The stills definitely favor the E90 in the amount of details, mainly due to the larger file size. In the video, however, both cameras are shooting 3480x2160 so they should have the same level of detail. The CGO3+ clearly has much more sharpening applied in the camera making it look like is has more detail. But, I expect that adding a bunch of sharpening in post processing to the E90 video would yield the same results; too much sharpening. What is really clear to me is the quality of the colors from the E90, like the sky and water and the shading of colors from light to dark. The real piece de resistance is the low light comparison. Notice how the CGO3+ blows out the bright areas of the sky while the E90 shows all the shades of color. Perhaps the CGO3+ image would have looked a bit better with the auto exposure set to -0.5 or so.
This comparison clearly shows the superiority of the E90 (and C23?) camera BUT the CGO3+ is no slouch.
I recommend reducing the CGO3+ in-camera sharpening to 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: YuKay
In any event, the sharpness setting can presumably be manually adjusted to taste.

Fire up your H... connect to the CGO3+ with your computer's WiFi... open a browser and type in the following address:

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=GET_SHARPNESS

This will tell you the current sharpness setting on the CGO3+.

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=SET_SHARPNESS&value=5
You can set the value after the equals sign anywhere between 0 and 10... the higher the number, the greater the degree of in-camera sharpening.

Fire up your H... connect to the CGO3+ with your computer's WiFi... open a browser and type in the following address:

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=GET_SHARPNESS

This will tell you the current sharpness setting on the CGO3+.

You can set the value after the equals sign anywhere between 0 and 10... the higher the number, the greater the degree of in-camera sharpening.
Thank's
Is it the same with the E90 ?

Does the PX4 have redundant IMU's barometer's etc. and does the version or the controller used by Yuneec have these features as these features added to the six motors would make it one of the safest in the sky

Will the new setting stick? It would be tedious to have to do that every time.

Yes, it will use the "SET SHARPNESS" command until you use the same command to modify that sharpness setting value.

Reactions: YuKay

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig