Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass warning / magnetic interference warnings

Reaction score
I have been flying a Typhoon H with another person for a few weeks now. What we usually do is one of us will take off, run down one battery to the first low voltage warning, land, put in a new battery and the other person takes off.

So I personally have had virtually no issues. No warnings, etc. Maybe one and I brushed it off as I can assure you I am not doing another compass calibration (did one 2 weeks ago and I'm satisfied with it.)

When the other person takes off, they have experienced magnetic interference warnings and Compass calibration warnings, "Land Immediately in Angle Mode!" type thing. The drone will blink purple, then orange a bit and back to purple. This comes and goes. The person experiencing this has also been experiencing drifting of the drone while hovering. The ST 16 seems to be in calibration and not abnormal in the mechanical system screen (checking the buttons, etc. in this screen shows they're all where they should be.)

As a note, we are flying in the same location. I wouldn't be surprised if we BOTH got the same message, as we are flying over concrete, but the messages seem to come when the other person takes over. I personally think that any drift that I may get is due to wind, for example for me to go in a perfectly straight line, I sometimes have to go at a crab angle into the wind, otherwise I get pushed off course. I think that would be normal though from basic flight ground school I've done and basic aerodynamics of flight.

So I have come to the conclusion that possibly there is something in / on this person that is affecting the drone? Has anyone experienced anything that could be on a person that could cause such a phenomena? For example UHF radios? Certain watches possibly? (sounds far-fetched...)

I am otherwise going to start inquiring if they are wolverine in disguise, but this situation is not that dire yet.

Are you launching from the same exact position on the ground? Sometimes just a few inches can make a difference.

Is the other person the one starting up the aircraft when they are taking their turn flying? Let the same person start the aircraft each time to see if there is a change.

Are all of the batteries the same brand and capacity? Keep track of the batteries used when you get the warnings.

Smart watches, Fitness bracelets that use Bluetooth, magnetic bracelets can interfere with the compass calibration when performing the calibration. They should have no effect when using the ST16.

When you start from concrete, reinforcement plays a big role. A few cm back or forth can make a big difference, depending on where the iron is in the concrete.
Low power radio waves should not make a difference. Only magnetic fields or magnetic materials play a role.

br HE
This can also apply in apparently open fields in areas where utilities are routed underground. There is an open field that I fly at in Florida that gives me odd compass warnings. Moving just a few feet can make a difference.

Do an IMU calibration after the drone is powered on and is on the ground for at least 20 minutes. The answer to the question "For what?" is so long and complex.
I was also going to suggest doing the Accelerometer Calibration (IMU), but had not considered the 20 minute ground wait. I understand why you suggested it. It lets the IMU come up to a stable operating temperature before doing the calibration. Make sure it is performed on a very level surface. The bubble level app on most smart phones is great for checking the surface for levelness.

Reactions: revedit1
I have been flying a Typhoon H with another person for a few weeks now. What we usually do is one of us will take off, run down one battery to the first low voltage warning, land, put in a new battery and the other person takes off.

So I personally have had virtually no issues. No warnings, etc. Maybe one and I brushed it off as I can assure you I am not doing another compass calibration (did one 2 weeks ago and I'm satisfied with it.)

When the other person takes off, they have experienced magnetic interference warnings and Compass calibration warnings, "Land Immediately in Angle Mode!" type thing. The drone will blink purple, then orange a bit and back to purple. This comes and goes. The person experiencing this has also been experiencing drifting of the drone while hovering. The ST 16 seems to be in calibration and not abnormal in the mechanical system screen (checking the buttons, etc. in this screen shows they're all where they should be.)

As a note, we are flying in the same location. I wouldn't be surprised if we BOTH got the same message, as we are flying over concrete, but the messages seem to come when the other person takes over. I personally think that any drift that I may get is due to wind, for example for me to go in a perfectly straight line, I sometimes have to go at a crab angle into the wind, otherwise I get pushed off course. I think that would be normal though from basic flight ground school I've done and basic aerodynamics of flight.

So I have come to the conclusion that possibly there is something in / on this person that is affecting the drone? Has anyone experienced anything that could be on a person that could cause such a phenomena? For example UHF radios? Certain watches possibly? (sounds far-fetched...)

I am otherwise going to start inquiring if they are wolverine in disguise, but this situation is not that dire yet.
Crazy question....... Wheres your smart phone when you fly......and wheres the other persons, when they fly? Just a word of advice. If you cant figure it out, youre on a countdown for a fly away. Practice flying without gps...... alot! Especially after take off. Thank me later.

Reactions: Pier2162
Do an IMU calibration after the drone is powered on and is on the ground for at least 20 minutes. The answer to the question "For what?" is so long and complex.
Thanks, this didn't really seem to do anything.

As a note, after this (and possibly before) the altimeter would randomly go from 0.0 to -0.5 to -1.0 to -1.5 to -2.0 and then back to around -0.5 or so.

In the air it seems to maintain altitude.

Crazy question....... Wheres your smart phone when you fly......and wheres the other persons, when they fly?
You won't even believe it but we don't fly with smartphones.

If you cant figure it out, youre on a countdown for a fly away. Practice flying without gps...... alot! Especially after take off. Thank me later.

Well I'm already on a countdown to my death bed. But besides you being Mr. doom and gloom about a flyaway, what makes you think that?

And, what is flying without GPS going to do? If I have a flyaway I feel like it is going to fly away uncontrollably. Flying without GPS is not anymore difficult for me than flying with GPS, you just have to have more attention on the drone and not expect it to stop if you let go of the controls. I believe this is covered in the laws of drone physics.... "A drone in motion will remain in motion when the controls are let go unless GPS is on."

Edit: Oh sorry, latent realization of what you mean--you're saying if you have a flyaway, then disable GPS in the calibration settings and fly it back home, right?

Last edited:
When you start from concrete, reinforcement plays a big role. A few cm back or forth can make a big difference, depending on where the iron is in the concrete.
Low power radio waves should not make a difference. Only magnetic fields or magnetic materials play a role.

br HE
I am thinking it may just be the reinforcements that it's picking up.

I managed to locate a spot where it consistently gave the warning, but then when I flew back over that same spot later it gave me nothing.

Semi-stumped.

The compass warnings are triggered by a discrepancy between the 3D compass heading and the GPS heading. If you takeoff from an area with ferrous material that affects the magnetic field on and near the ground it quickly diminishes as you gain altitude (inverse square rule).

The toilet bowl effect is caused by the F/C trying to correct the discrepancy between the GPS heading and the compass heading. Since GPS can be turned off and the compass cannot turning GPS off allows the pilot to regain control of the aircraft.

The latest firmware from early 2017 made the toilet bowl more of a rarity, but it can still happen where large shifts in the magnetic field are present.

Just a thught. My vape mod gave me some trouble even when it was in my pocket. I now leave it far away and turned off. KC What a typo EH! That was a thought

I am otherwise going to start inquiring if they are wolverine in disguise, but this situation is not that dire Inte Mobile phones

Interference, Mobile Phones, hearing Aids, Car Key rings, eliminate everything, away at lease 20 feet.

You won't even believe it but we don't fly with smartphones.

Well I'm already on a countdown to my death bed. But besides you being Mr. doom and gloom about a flyaway, what makes you think that?

And, what is flying without GPS going to do? If I have a flyaway I feel like it is going to fly away uncontrollably. Flying without GPS is not anymore difficult for me than flying with GPS, you just have to have more attention on the drone and not expect it to stop if you let go of the controls. I believe this is covered in the laws of drone physics.... "A drone in motion will remain in motion when the controls are let go unless GPS is on."

Edit: Oh sorry, latent realization of what you mean--you're saying if you have a flyaway, then disable GPS in the calibration settings and fly it back home, right?
Hi Sorry for the late response. Yes. Thats excatly what I meant. Loss of GPS need not be the end of your drone. Ive done the antenna mount, bought fresh batteries calibrated out of the wazoo.... periodically, flying from the same places I dont get any warnings. I get all the things you described. Ive taken to leaving my fitbit my headset and my phone in my car......doesn't matter. It'll fly perfectly 3 or 4 times, 16+ sats and full charges on each flight. The 4th or 5th time, it has a mind and flight path of its own. maybe my FC, but at this stage I only fly it a couple of times a year at a park. I love this airframe but it and yuneec as a company have been a disappointment. Ive contemplated buying another one....maybe a 520 as a comparison. BTW
You won't even believe it but.....
I dont take insults personally 🙃

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold