Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Does/has anyone use(d) the ST-16...

Reaction score
to control other R/C aircraft? If so, how would you bind them?

The ST-16 seems such a capable piece of kit, it would be a shame not to utilize its full potential...

Just askin'...

I was going to post this same question yesterday...so great job! It offers the chance to select a model...so probably! How do you re-bind the H to the ST16 after using the wand? Is that the answer?...never done it!

True, it would require a Yuneec receiver and output system.
(Oops, inadvertently engaged caps lock...)

Okay, I guess my line of thinking is this: Modern digital controllers are basically (computerized) transceivers programmed to output a digital signal on a certain bandwidth of the electromagnetic spectrum...I would think that as long as one can get the transmitter to "talk" to the hardware in a language it understands, on a frequency it is "listening" to, the manufacture of the hardware should be irrelevant...or am I being hardheaded? I'm thinking that since the ST-16 is basically a tablet integrated with a controller, there should be any number of BNF aircraft the ST-16 should be able to operate, a la the Spektrum series of controllers...

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderChicken
Well yes and no. If you wanted to rewrite the firmware for the st16 to transmit different languages then it's possible however, that may also include Installation of other tx modules to communicate with said rx.
A example of this was done with the devo series walkera transmitter to work with spectrum rx and frsky rxs.
To me it's not worth the hassle when you can pick up a dx6 for $100

There is an algorithm in both the receiver and the transmitter that controls the spread spectrum technology.
It changes the channels to avoid losing control in noisy electromagnetic areas.
It would have to be YUNEEC to YUNEEC brand pairing. I have two "H's" and only one ST-16 and they both work on one ST-16. I have to pair the one I'm flying to the controller whenever I change aircraft.

So I'm understanding that TX/RX communication is all proprietary, based on the manufacturer of the hardware, and there isn't any "open source" programming software that would allow RC hardware to be controlled, (using a REALLY loose analogy here, lol) the way desktop PC's began running software programs originally designed for IBM machines, back in the early '90's?

There is an algorithm in both the receiver and the transmitter that controls the spread spectrum technology.
It changes the channels to avoid losing control in noisy electromagnetic areas.
It sounds a great deal like what the military began using in the early Eighties in their tactical radios, (think it was called SINCGARS, or some such) which were frequency-agile, having the benefit of being much more difficult to eavesdrop/intercept, and also less susceptible to enemy jamming.
(Sorry, getting O/T here...)

Reactions: ThunderChicken
So I'm understanding that TX/RX communication is all proprietary, based on the manufacturer of the hardware, and there isn't any "open source" programming software that would allow RC hardware to be controlled, (using a REALLY loose analogy here, lol) the way desktop PC's began running software programs originally designed for IBM machines, back in the early '90's?
Yep. That's right. That keeps you buying there products and not others.

It sounds a great deal like what the military began using in the early Eighties in their tactical radios, (think it was called SINCGARS, or some such) which were frequency-agile, having the benefit of being much more difficult to eavesdrop/intercept, and also less susceptible to enemy jamming.
(Sorry, getting O/T here...)
Definitely more difficult for the enemy to intercept and decode, and more likely to have successful communication with remote stations.

Reactions: Steve Carr
It means you have a secure connection to your H which can't be hijacked with any other controller, even another ST16.

to control other R/C aircraft? If so, how would you bind them?

The ST-16 seems such a capable piece of kit, it would be a shame not to utilize its full potential...

Just askin'...
You should be able to control other aircraft if you install a Yuneec receiver.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio