Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Does using a third party app void warranty

Reaction score
Just wondering if using a third party app (like UAV Toolbox) would void the manufacturers warranty in case of a crash, if the crash was technical and not pilot/route planning error. Not knocking the apps at all and I have not crashed (knock on wood). Just discussion.

I do not think so. Of course any manufacturer reserves the right to be the ultimate arbitrator for warranty coverage.

It's a deliberate policy that I do not provide any 'live flight tools' in UAV Toolbox. Whilst it would be possible to replicate the Yuneec Flight Mode app, I cannot test as thoroughly as Yuneec in all possible conditions and their tools are fine for the job of flight control. So UAV Toolbox is designed to get out of the way of Yuneec software at the critical time.

Now, if the SDK that Yuneec plan to release includes a tested flight stack that can be incorporated into third party apps, I'd be happy to use it - as I assume that they would cover any problems you might encounter during flight.

However, in general there's no reason why they should warranty against unreasonable modifications or poor maintenance of your equipment. If you fill the ST-16 full of Candy Crush Saga and Facebook Messenger, or paint your rotors with garage paint, they'd have every right to refuse to fix the problems that would ensue. If you install a third party app, you should take a moment to consider what it might do that would cause problems, and what the developer has done to test the app.

Reactions: FlushVision
I did read a statement on the Yuneec facebook page for europe (germany) that using a non yuneec batery will viod the warenty if it crashes.

I did read a statement on the Yuneec facebook page for europe (germany) that using a non yuneec batery will viod the warenty if it crashes.
Just an observation, but as far as I'm aware, Yuneec ain't gonna know you've been using a third party battery if you don't tell them.

Just an observation, but as far as I'm aware, Yuneec ain't gonna know you've been using a third party battery if you don't tell them.
My thoughts as well, unless the battery explodes in the H and they want to see it. But in that case it would most likely be a lost cause anyway as I don't think that would be covered.

My thoughts as well, unless the battery explodes in the H and they want to see it. But in that case it would most likely be a lost cause anyway as I don't think that would be covered.
Such an event would be rare (but not impossible). Batteries are more likely to become catastrophic during the charging cycle than at any other time...unless the aircraft has been in a bad crash and the battery has taken severe hit.

Remember your telemetry records battery voltages continuously. If you have a battery that has a different discharge curve than the Yuneec model, it may be fairly obvious in the logs. Of course, if the warranty issue is nothing to do with the battery, they're not going to care.

Here is the offical response to an inquirey from a French owner about the different ratings of batteries availible as written by the Yuneec service center in Germany on Face Book on the 3rd of March ...

"We recommend to only use original batteries. In case of a crash with a "foreign" battery, we assume no liability for damages."

Judging by this I would say it is safe to assume that they reserve the right to void the guarentee regardless of the cause of the crash should they discover the batteries used where not manufactured by Yuneec. Whether of not they could legally make this stick should the issue come before arbitration or a Europian court is another matter. In any case it would be safe to say they could make your life **** in the mean time.

Remember your telemetry records battery voltages continuously. If you have a battery that has a different discharge curve than the Yuneec model, it may be fairly obvious in the logs. ...<snip>...
Good point, Tuna. I never thought of that.

That's one of the reasons I stick with Yuneec or Tattu batteries. Although the Tattu's are labeled higher capacity they are the same as the Yuneec batteries in capacity and output. There's no differences in fully charged pack voltages for charge times or mA in for similar flight times and profiles. Flight times are essentially the same between them as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BengalFlight