Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

External Mic on CGO3

Reaction score
Looking for a 'mini' boom mike to isolate the sea-waves I fly over.

Hoping someone has information on the possibility of wiring an external mic onto the CGO3+.

Thanks!

Looking for a 'mini' boom mike to isolate the sea-waves I fly over.

Hoping someone has information on the possibility of wiring an external mic onto the CGO3+.

Thanks!
I think the problem you will have is that the H when it is running, drowns out audio with the motors. Your best bet is to record the audio track separately, then add it to your clip. Most video I do with land based video gear, I record audio with a stand alone and then sync them or add what I want later.

In the film industry, they add the background audio in after, it's called Foley.
Foley (filmmaking) - Wikipedia

Thank you Mr. Martz!

That is kind of what I figured. I was hoping to get the sound using a mini boom to remove the prop wash. I fly out a couple hundred yards to other rocks, cliffs, waves crashing that are not in sync with the local sounds. I believe you are recommending land based booms to follow the drone then. Hmm, not bad.

Will look up Foley.

If you do a sync pop that records a video motion along with a sound transient, you can hand sync your recorded audio with you video and once properly aligned, edit both. The GGO has no timecode capabilities so syncing up the recorded audio of the waves crashing with the video of the same is a bit tricky and may require some trial and error. A mic on a boom below the H could work if it was a good shotgun but there is no way to integrate that into the camera so you'd have to mount some kind of flash recorder like a Zoom to the Typhoon.

Thank you Mr. Martz!

That is kind of what I figured. I was hoping to get the sound using a mini boom to remove the prop wash. I fly out a couple hundred yards to other rocks, cliffs, waves crashing that are not in sync with the local sounds. I believe you are recommending land based booms to follow the drone then. Hmm, not bad.

Will look up Foley.
You could set a Zoom device near what you want to film and use the sound from there. To be able to sync, start recording video with audio on the H CG03+ turned on first. Have the H sitting near where you want to video and have the Zoom recording as well. Create a klack sound, a click, or what ever you want as your starting point that is crisp and sharp. This sound will be heard by both the Zoom and the CG03+ at the same time. You now have a start point for your sync. Then fire up the H's blades and lift off.
Zoom H4n Handy Recorder

How about making an extention several feet long and equip it on the end with a highly directional mic? With the mic below and pointing downwards it might just eliminate most or all of the rotor noise. Landing wouldn'be much of a problem as the mic lead should just coil up on the ground provided it is supple enough.

You could set a Zoom device near what you want to film and use the sound from there. To be able to sync, start recording video with audio on the H CG03+ turned on first. Have the H sitting near where you want to video and have the Zoom recording as well. Create a klack sound, a click, or what ever you want as your starting point that is crisp and sharp. This sound will be heard by both the Zoom and the CG03+ at the same time. You now have a start point for your sync. Then fire up the H's blades and lift off.
Zoom H4n Handy Recorder

Yes. That's what I did was getting at. The only hitch in that plan is how to record the real time waves (ocean not audio wav) sound that's what you saw. Ocean waves can be pretty cyclical so I'd record some additional audio to get some safety audio especially to capture the booms of the surf. You can always play with your video speed to better line up to the audio in post. What's your editing platform?

Yes. That's what I did was getting at. The only hitch in that plan is how to record the real time waves (ocean not audio wav) sound that's what you saw. Ocean waves can be pretty cyclical so I'd record some additional audio to get some safety audio especially to capture the booms of the surf. You can always play with your video speed to better line up to the audio in post. What's your editing platform?
His or mine?

Windluv originally. I ask because audio post is tricky without an expensive program from my experience. I could be wrong. It's for sure an issue because it limits your film work and you can't shoot during location dialogue. A music video doesn't matter as it's obvious why the drone noise has no bearing. It's one of the reasons I bought the Q5004k as it's a lot quieter. The self noise of the TH for sure makes filming with location mics impossible and getting Foley in the field is not happening till you shut it off. I just don't see how you can film anything with spoken word from your actors with drones currently. I'd be thrilled as an audio engineer if someone proved me wrong in the field. It's a definite limitation to airborne filming with these noisy beasts.

Windluv originally. I ask because audio post is tricky without an expensive program from my experience. I could be wrong. It's for sure an issue because it limits your film work and you can't shoot during location dialogue. A music video doesn't matter as it's obvious why the drone noise has no bearing. It's one of the reasons I bought the Q5004k as it's a lot quieter. The self noise of the TH for sure makes filming with location mics impossible and getting Foley in the field is not happening till you shut it off. I just don't see how you can film anything with spoken word from your actors with drones currently. I'd be thrilled as an audio engineer if someone proved me wrong in the field. It's a definite limitation to airborne filming with these noisy beasts.
It's done the same way it is with a studio production. If the sound is not as it should be, you have the actors dub over what is not heard clearly. Plus, the use of a drone as your main camera would never be done in a production with spoken lines. The drone is used as you would use a helicopter or an airplane, for B roll. If you want height, then you use a static crane or jib. The best thing to do if you want to do any production, is to first create a story board. I have a family member in the industry that is a DP ( director of photography ), and the things he has taught me, I would have had to pay huge bucks for in a school and tons on set as an A( assistant )DP until the DP feels you are ready. Sound is always an issue, but that is why each person is specialized in what they do. I have a person that edits footage, and one that records sound. As a person that does videography, I need to be 100% focused on the shot, and not side-tracked with sound. There are a pile of cheap video editing software companies that put out average editing programs, but most have pretty good audio software with it. CyberLink is a good example of a company that offers a lot for a little dollar investment.

Wow. 1) Thank you all! 2) Hmm, processing. 3) I thought the video was hard enough. 4) Thinking. 5) Will comment after a glass or two of wine ☺️

Oh, trying to stay with Davinci Resolve (using the beta 14, big learning curve)

What you are looking for is called a shotgun mic. They pick up sound in a very focused spot. There are very small ones that are USB powered and should be able to be modded on to your CGO3+. I have a weather resistant one for my GoPro Hero 3 that plugs in to the mini USB port on the camera. Shotgun Mic.

What you are looking for is called a shotgun mic. They pick up sound in a very focused spot. There are very small ones that are USB powered and should be able to be modded on to your CGO3+. I have a weather resistant one for my GoPro Hero 3 that plugs in to the mini USB port on the camera. Shotgun Mic.
And you have that connected to a Typhoon H?

No, I was suggesting it as an idea for modding because they are quite small and can be USB powered.
Still won't work. Can't eliminate the sound of the H even with a shotgun. I'm sorry, it just won't happen. Only way is to still add in your sound after, it's done all the time.

Still won't work. Can't eliminate the sound of the H even with a shotgun. I'm sorry, it just won't happen. Only way is to still add in your sound after, it's done all the time.
How about if the shotgun is dangling 8 or 10 feet below the H?

Be nice but unfortunately I agree with Murray. I make records for a living and have been recording audio for 35 years now. That's weird enough considering I was a plumber before that. Think about how far away you can hear a helicopter. The beating of the air by the blades is the noise you can't get rid of cause it's wind and you still get leakage on your mic. It's not a laser and shotguns get the closest to that kind of rejection but I think currently it's a frustrating pursuit and the tried and true post and Foley technique is the only way.

Last edited:
How about if the shotgun is dangling 8 or 10 feet below the H?

I am essentially trying to fly 1 foot off the deck, and working up skills and courage to get into the curl. So far able to get ontop of the wave for a couple seconds as it curls but not into the wave; probably need bigger waves as well but the courage factor goes up quite a bit. They move faster then I am able to roll and dive into so far. Yes, I know the risk. I have lost a SteadyDrone and another kit built already a year ago, but haven't even dinged a prop on H in nine months, though I do wipe down a lot sea spray.

That is why I am looking for a solution on the H rather then away as I would like to capture the sound directly of the wave and surf I am directly above. But all things being equal I doubt if could tell the difference of added surf effects over the actual 5 second run.

I am essentially trying to fly 1 foot off the deck, and working up skills and courage to get into the curl. So far able to get ontop of the wave for a couple seconds as it curls but not into the wave; probably need bigger waves as well but the courage factor goes up quite a bit. They move faster then I am able to roll and dive into so far. Yes, I know the risk. I have lost a SteadyDrone and another kit built already a year ago, but haven't even dinged a prop on H in nine months, though I do wipe down a lot sea spray.

That is why I am looking for a solution on the H rather then away as I would like to capture the sound directly of the wave and surf I am directly above. But all things being equal I doubt if could tell the difference of added surf effects over the actual 5 second run.
The best example of people not noticing is this. A ship in outer space can not bank as it is portrayed in a movie, and then there is the sound of a space ship. These two things are impossible. There is no air in space so you can not maneuver like it is flying through the air, and as there is no air, there is no sound. In movies we just accept that the ships can fly like a regular plane, and we expect to hear engine sound. Now there is another way to get your sound. Buy a waterproof mic and have someone that surf record the sound and add them in where you need. OR......just use an existing sound byte of waves. There are thousands of them out there for free.

Last thing.......in the movie The Shawshank Redemption, Morgan Freeman's character keeps getting denied parole. Each time it is done, the show a scene where the parole board uses their stamp to stamp his file....REJECTED. In a final scene of the movie, the Warden is about to be arrested, so he shoots himself. The sound used for the hand stamp, and the gun, are the same sound. No one noticed, but for them the sound fit.

Last edited:

Your last paragraph nails it. It's all smoke and mirrors in the broadcast biz. It's amazing how willing your brain is to accept false realities. I'd consider saving a lot of time and finding some Foley you can license as I'm sure there are hundreds of great samples of all kinds of surf crashing. I've made ocean sounds with white noise generators and LFO sweeps as it really is just a lot of low end booming with hissing sounds. That being said I'm taking my Zoom out tomorrow to grab some surf while I can before I return to the quiet desert. What are you looking for? Maybe I can send you a .wav file that will work.

Reactions: Murray Martz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital