Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FINALLY! An in-depth comparison review of the Typhoon H vs Phantom 4

I have the Typhoon H .. This is not my Phantom 4. Settings are made correctly. There is a big debate on the profile dji-club.ru forum about this bug on the Phantom 4 after updating to the latest firmware - Phantoms become not stable in hovering points. But this is not our problem and DJI ..;)

No!, then what do you think they are for? !;) Amazing when you have erratic flying or hovers, you do a Compass and/or IMU ! And issue solved :)

Altitude hold is basically using a combination of things, like an inertial nav estimate, a barometric pressure, and gps estimate, and also the ground prox sensors if the phantom was close to ground. This wind condition as seen, the imu is working fine, the phantom "knows" where it needs to be and gets there, but is fighting the wind where it has to roll into to compensate for being pushed laterally. Doing that causes even more downward wind pressure.
The H is a hex, and it has props covering pretty much any angle of wind direction which results in better flight characteristics in wind and general stability.
Not to beat on the phantom....**** I was even thinking of getting an inspire, but hex's are more stable in wind.:)

I have the Typhoon H .. TThere is a big debate on the profile dji-club.ru forum about this bug on the Phantom 4 after updating to the latest firmware - Phantoms become not stable in hovering points. But this is not our problem and DJI ..;)
Doing a cold IMU calibration corrects any issues arising with the latest P4 update. I did the firmware update yesterday and cold IMU cali and my P4 is rock solid in a hover.

Doing a cold IMU calibration corrects any issues arising with the latest P4 update. I did the firmware update yesterday and cold IMU cali and my P4 is rock solid in a hover.
Was there a new firmware update for P4? I did not see any, just the Go

Was there a new firmware update for P4? I did not see any, just the Go
It was whatever the latest firmware was. I just bought and received the P4 on Thursday. Once I hooked the craft up I was prompted to do a firmware update.After the update I shut everything down for a couple of hours,then rebooted and did a cold IMU cali.

Reactions: DroneClone
It was whatever the latest firmware was. I just bought and received the P4 on Thursday. Once I hooked the craft up I was prompted to do a firmware update.After the update I shut everything down for a couple of hours,then rebooted and did a cold IMU cali.
Okay, Because I haven't seen one in a month!, Thanks! Enjoy It!

All I Can telll you guys is I Love My P4 My H And My Inspire 1 I Don't Mind What People Coment If H Is A Junk Compared With Dji

I own Typhoon H, MyTyphoon-H has been nothing but problematic since the day I received it.(15 flight since 8 June )but frankly speaking I felt that the DJI P4 is much more better than our TH, especially the video quality and the control APP. In the video the comparison result we cannot deny, for example our H hovering keep descend, when the camera face light the picture is dark and when slowly turn downward then become bright, the picture quality is no as sharp(clear) as DJI no RTH height setting , and the camera setting can not be changed during the flight, no real time location(google map) during the flight and not even shown as the % of the battery level etc. since I bought it I still love my H. I hope Yuneec can improve the problem what we mention here may be can come out a better camera for replacement with discount price for price existing TH owner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandon B
Interesting video, so basically it's junk. I didn't buy mine for video photography, just property surveillance so I'm happy with my H. The video certainly was well rehearsed as far as focusing on the fine points of the P4, interesting why no wizard was included.Either way you look at it, that video destroys the H.
DJI can do all what our H can do without wizard (POI, follow etc) to me I never use the wizard is not useless at all.

Last edited:
If DJI comes with a small hex, I will certainly check it out. That's all I fly. Phantom........don't care how good it may be.....wayyyy to ugly. Yes i'm superficial.
The H will get better I think.
Yes if DJI come out HEX I will get it.

Out of interest, I just checked the Phantom 4 forum, where they're discussing the same review. Even they comment that he's wildly biased :D

Reactions: Goh
I have never owned a DJI product. I am not a fanboy of any product. It's just that I can tell a biased review when the scoring either contrived or not is do far differing between two products from competing manufacturers.
I have better things to do with my time than to sit through a one hour plus review when within the first ten minutes i can tell the outcome.
I have not had any of the issues that I have read about on these forums, I guess I'm just lucky.

Reactions: Goh
I own Typhoon H, MyTyphoon-H has been nothing but problematic since the day I received it.(15 flight since 8 June )but frankly speaking I felt that the DJI P4 is much more better than our TH, especially the video quality and the control APP. In the video the comparison result we cannot deny, for example our H hovering keep descend, when the camera face light the picture is dark and when slowly turn downward then become bright, the picture quality is no as sharp(clear) as DJI no RTH height setting , and the camera setting can not be changed during the flight, no real time location(google map) during the flight and not even shown as the % of the battery level etc. since I bought it I still love my H. I hope Yuneec can improve the problem what we mention here may be can come out a better camera for replacement with discount price for price existing TH owner.
I have a dream machine, my H has been flawless and very predictable. I fly mostly Yuneecs except for custom built fpvs. I got mine the end of May and fly at least 2or 3 times a day doing property surveillance, and can say again it's great. Dji has been around a lot longer and has a big jump and a large loyal fan base. Yuneec is going to be a stronger force to reckon with,given time.

Reactions: David Wilson
I own the Typhoon 4k, the Typhoon H, and JUST last night (mostly due to this thread, and his video) picked up the Phantom 4. So today I'll be going out to find out for myself. Honestly for me these things are 90% for the camera, and from what I've seen (specs and actual photos/footage) the DJI camera is just better. Add in the focus issue with my YTH camera (and the fact that I'm over a month now since I sent it to Yuneec, and the new one hasn't arrived) and it looks like an easy decision. I love the YTH, I think its fantastic. But the camera....

Reactions: JohnL and Brandon B
I own the Typhoon 4k, the Typhoon H, and JUST last night (mostly due to this thread, and his video) picked up the Phantom 4. So today I'll be going out to find out for myself. Honestly for me these things are 90% for the camera, and from what I've seen (specs and actual photos/footage) the DJI camera is just better. Add in the focus issue with my YTH camera (and the fact that I'm over a month now since I sent it to Yuneec, and the new one hasn't arrived) and it looks like an easy decision. I love the YTH, I think its fantastic. But the camera....
The proof is in the pudding.

Reactions: BoostedPerspective
Fair or not that vision of the H flying into the tree will be seen by many. Truth is obstacle avoidance does not work in the Follow or Smart mode and that is clearly spelled out in the manual. He flew that H into the tree, it was operator error for not reading the manual.

True enough, from the Manual:

IMPORTANT NOTE: In Follow Me, the aircraft will maintain a constant altitude and cannot detect obstacles. Pilots who change their altitude during flight should be mindful of this.​

Which does raise the question how will all this work with the YTH-Pro or when a RealSense module is added to the stock YTH? The (in)famous Intel mountain bike demo was supposed to be representing a follow-me mode, i.e. autonomous flight with OA active. It would be nice to see this all explained somewhere. In one of the early interview videos a Yuneec engineer or product mgr (can't remember his position) discussed in detail the flight mode in which the craft would yaw the craft so that the RealSense OA detection always faces the direction of travel while simultaneously panning and tilting the gimbal so that the camera FOV keeps the subject (via transmitter/controller GPS) in the frame. So it is (supposedly) able to function as if it has 360 degree OA by cleverly keeping the OA sensors aligned with the flight vector independent of the camera pointing direction.

The question is, is that functionality really coming later this summer? With Yuneec's current dreadful documentation for the YTH, I wonder whether YTH-Pro and RS module upgraders will even have adequate documentation to know what functionality they can actually expect in the real world. Since GPS info is needed for both the craft and for the transmitter/controller, operation in the kind of environments that the Intel demo simulated might turn out to be a fantasy anyway.

And, it there any reliable information regarding the power consumption of the RS module? It's bound to decrease flight time, but by how much? Can't see plunking down $s for the RS module until it's real-world performance becomes clear. Yuneec has demonstrated that their hype can significantly exceed performance for some features, including critical performance features like still and video image quality.

One of the claims the YTH appears to fully live up to is the ability to fly with only 5 functioning rotors. Good job on that!

True enough, from the Manual:

IMPORTANT NOTE: In Follow Me, the aircraft will maintain a constant altitude and cannot detect obstacles. Pilots who change their altitude during flight should be mindful of this.​

Which does raise the question how will all this work with the YTH-Pro or when a RealSense module is added to the stock YTH? The (in)famous Intel mountain bike demo was supposed to be representing a follow-me mode, i.e. autonomous flight with OA active. It would be nice to see this all explained somewhere. In one of the early interview videos a Yuneec engineer or product mgr (can't remember his position) discussed in detail the flight mode in which the craft would yaw the craft so that the RealSense OA detection always faces the direction of travel while simultaneously panning and tilting the gimbal so that the camera FOV keeps the subject (via transmitter/controller GPS) in the frame. So it is (supposedly) able to function as if it has 360 degree OA by cleverly keeping the OA sensors aligned with the flight vector independent of the camera pointing direction.

The question is, is that functionality really coming later this summer? With Yuneec's current dreadful documentation for the YTH, I wonder whether YTH-Pro and RS module upgraders will even have adequate documentation to know what functionality they can actually expect in the real world. Since GPS info is needed for both the craft and for the transmitter/controller, operation in the kind of environments that the Intel demo simulated might turn out to be a fantasy anyway.

And, it there any reliable information regarding the power consumption of the RS module? It's bound to decrease flight time, but by how much? Can't see plunking down $s for the RS module until it's real-world performance becomes clear. Yuneec has demonstrated that their hype can significantly exceed performance for some features, including critical performance features like still and video image quality.

One of the claims the YTH appears to fully live up to is the ability to fly with only 5 functioning rotors. Good job on that!

Documentation is lacking, I am mucking through the functions and hope to get some videos up. In case your interested Tom made several other comparison errors; some may be legitimate due to the lack of stereo instructions but watching him fumble with that sd card makes me wonder:rolleyes:

Tom quoted the top speed of the H to be far less than the P, we all know with GPS off the H hauls.

In follow Tom states the P4 has altitude control and the H does not. In reality the H comes with a barometer equipped device for true dynamic altitude; the P comes with no such device and relies on VPS below 10 meters for altitude control, the H can fly at 200 feet and still have DA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss