Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First attempt at a crane shot!

It is a decent shot. Very smooth and steady rise. I think you should experiment with the camera settings. Try changing it to Gorgeous mode and lock the white balance. That should produce richer colors.

Here is a good video that explains some of the settings:

A nice sequence. Here's some feedback:

Taking a shot looking in a certain direction can sometimes make it difficult to keep the shadow of your aircraft out of shot and sometimes can't be avoided. Capturing the shadow of the aircraft in your footage will detract from your video especially if it's a commercial job so it should be avoided wherever possible. In your video you could have avoided seeing your shadow in post production since it was there for only a few seconds at the beginning before the sun clouded over. Loosing a couple of seconds of footage at the beginning would not have detracted from the vid.

If you get bad colour and lighting in your footage, maybe due to having the wrong settings for the scene, then some good post production can often make bad footage look half decent. Your video, I think, would have been greatly improved with some colour grading.

I don't know which video editor you are using, however all but the very basic editors like Windows Movie Maker will give you at least some of the tools you need to liven the colour up and you don't have to go very far up the food chain to find an editor with respectable colour gradient tools. A good one that has a free version is Davinci Resolve 12.5 but you need a computer with a bit of grunt to use it. Another one that has a free licence version is Lightworks but the downside of that one is that it has limited scope for saving your videos: Currently it will only allow you to render at 720p using the free licence version. Shotcut is an open source jobby with reasonable colour tools and rendering settings but my experience is that it is unstable and prone to crashing.

I use Filmora for my run of the mill stuff which cost me about £70.00 inc VAT (including restore insurance) and I use Davinci when I need to do stuff a bit more technical

I hope that helps.

One more thing to add. When you first start editing, cut the footage that shows the initial 10 to 20 feet of rise. After that, start it with a fade transition in from black for a few seconds.
Thanks for the feedback...have got Resolve 12.5 but havent used it yet. The above clip was raw...but excellent advice re: shadows and colour correction...could defo do with more punch!

Worked on a portfolio shoot this morning so will share when ready.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Murray Martz
It is a decent shot. Very smooth and steady rise. I think you should experiment with the camera settings. Try changing it to Gorgeous mode and lock the white balance. That should produce richer colors.

Here is a good video that explains some of the settings:

Thanks for your advice...will have a play and check the results.

Th

Thanks, so if you're already at 100m, it'll only reach 20m, or is it relative to the ground height?
Height is always calculated from AGL (Above Ground Level). So, for example, if you are standing on a hill 400m high, then the aircraft will see itself at a height of around 0 ft if sitting on the ground and so will read at a height of around 120m if you fly it up to 120m high from that spot.
Note that the barometer isn't a very accurate device so what the system is telling you your height is can be out by several feet from the actual height.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss