Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying with only 6 to 7 satelites on my ST16, 9 on H

Beautiful pictures @AH-1G as I've come to expect from you. But flying with only 6 or 7 satellites on ST 16 and 9 on the H especially with all those trees and water. A risk that I, personally, would not have taken. Do you think that the trees were masking the GPS?

That said, no risk = no gain.

I once had to do a commercial flight to take pictures for a client who was embroiled in a land boundary dispute and the aircraft I was using for the job was a Phantom 2 Vision+. I needed to take off in a very confined place next to a house that he was the landlord of and I couldn't get the aircraft to see more than 3 satellites because of the mask so a manual ATTI flight was called for. I didn't even have a home location fixed in the event of a RTH. Risky to say the least but I have loads of experience with manual flying so that mitigated in my favor with regard to my risk assessment. Even so, I confined myself to pretty much a straight up and down flight to just take the pictures I needed and was in the air for just a couple of minutes. I would never have done that if it was a recreational flight without pay.

By the way, my client won his dispute and from that flight he is a fairly regular client...no risk, no gain. Indeed, I last flew for him a little under a fortnight ago with the exact same aircraft.

ARE YOU NUTS! For flying, with low connectivity?? You might give an impression that it is actually possible.. LOL... Nice Job, sir.... I am so in love, with your locations.

• Haha
Reactions: AH-1G
So I have never flown one of the more professional drones yet but my smaller drone does not have GPS and I rarely use video signal when flying. How much different is it flying say the H Plus vs a little bit of a smaller drone without GPS? Learning everything I can from these forums before I purchase the H plus. Hopefully next weekend?

So I have never flown one of the more professional drones yet but my smaller drone does not have GPS and I rarely use video signal when flying. How much different is it flying say the H Plus vs a little bit of a smaller drone without GPS? Learning everything I can from these forums before I purchase the H plus. Hopefully next weekend[emoji4]

It’s fun, flying a manual drone, there are $40.00 drones on sale in Amazon. They are a blast.

It’s fun, flying a manual drone, there are $40.00 drones on sale in Amazon. They are a blast.

I agree....my Syma is all manual....it’s a real challenge to fly.....like a carbureted helicopter....once you get the trims dialed in it’s not so bad, but it can go south very fast!

Mine is the DBPOWER U818X. I do not use any of the modes such as headless mode etc. I have gotten pretty good maneuvering around trees and obstacles in my back yard but I have to say that I have crashed it a few times. Nothing has broken as of yet though!!:D

To be clear, the number of satellites you are showing has zero to do with "connectivity". All satellites do are provide a GPS signal to the drone. That is used for position stabilization. They have zero to do with the control and video links.

On the ST16(S) satellites locate the controller. Used for follow me, etc.
On the H/H+ satellites control positioning augmentation. You can fly with GPS off.

The reason for control lag in the environment where the pictures were taken was no doubt due to foliage interfering with the 2.4&5.8 GHz control and video signal along with some path distortion due to the water.

BTW - freaking awesome shots!!!

Ohhh awesome [emoji122]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bancadoithuongads