Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FPV on Q500+ Idea

Reaction score
I've read in several places where adding FPV to a Q500+/ST10+ will cause very slow update times and can cause crashes. Don't need any more of those too badly. I still like the idea of using FPV, tho', and I get the impression the delay is caused by overloading the capacity of the electronics.

OK, would it be possible to disconnect the screen in the controller and use "only" an FPV ?? The screen is small and my eyes are old - not a good combination when trying to figure out just what's going on out there.

If you add FPV to your quad it will be a completely independent setup from the quads original camera.
Any lag or delay will be for some other reason and not the quad.
I think your referring to wifi of the original signal to a cell phone or goggles and there you will have a lag in signal.
Some others have indeed added FPV to their quad and you can see You tube videos on how they did it.
Good luck and happy flying,
Jafo

If you add FPV to your quad it will be a completely independent setup from the quads original camera.
Any lag or delay will be for some other reason and not the quad.
I think your referring to wifi of the original signal to a cell phone or goggles and there you will have a lag in signal.
Some others have indeed added FPV to their quad and you can see You tube videos on how they did it.
Good luck and happy flying,
Jafo

Thanks. I may be crossing functions in my mind. I downloaded the app to my 8" tablet, then turned on the quad and controller. The view from the camera showed on the controller screen; tablet screen showed connected and had camera controls on screen, but was black - no picture. Turned off controller and picture now came to my tablet screen.

This is not my forté, but if it can only send to one screen, why not disconnect controller screen so you could have the 8" picture and still be able to control the quad ??

Thinking about it, isn't that what you're basically doing when using the handheld mount for the camera ?? Camera view is sent directly to the tablet or phone mounted on top.

My original thought was, "if you can send the picture to tablet, why not to FPV ??"

Yuneec warns against using 2 screens (controller and FPV) because it'll introduce a delay in the signal (??) and can cause crashes. OK, disconnect one screen.....?? Am I wanting to have my cake and eat it, too ??

I noticed a thread on Q500 Discussion where "Billfpvguy" is advertising a thing that mounts to the body and gives FPV but no one has responded to it and no details are given.

Yes.... your referring to WIFI....
That's not the same as an independent FPV system.
I've not tried a WIFI connection with anything other than the controller as I was aware the lag can cause issues.
I too have some "misunderstandings" in the WIFI connection and why another screen would cause a lag in signal between any two devices.I don't get that either ?? The bird puts out a signal.Why would it matter if you had a dozen screens viewing the image? We're simply viewing a broadcast image. We're not trying to communicate with the quad so again, I don't get what the problem is.
I have ITLITE fpv setups on other quads and have no issue with as many viewers that want to tune into my broadcast that want to. Out on the field, there might be ten of us viewing the same flyers broadcast with no problems.All at 5.8Ghz.
In short, my experience with the Quad Wifi connection is limited to just the hand held camera mount. I've not tried a wifi connection with the bird and another device.
I wonder if you get telemetry on your Ipad with the Wifi connection?? I often get out about a mile and telemetry is a must have for flying. At that distance, the image can at times drop out and telemetry is the only way to know where your at. It's times like that that I'm glad I'm on the box and not in the googles.
Keep us updated on anything new you learn.

Yes.... your referring to WIFI....
That's not the same as an independent FPV system.
I've not tried a WIFI connection with anything other than the controller as I was aware the lag can cause issues.
I too have some "misunderstandings" in the WIFI connection and why another screen would cause a lag in signal between any two devices.I don't get that either ?? The bird puts out a signal.Why would it matter if you had a dozen screens viewing the image? We're simply viewing a broadcast image. We're not trying to communicate with the quad so again, I don't get what the problem is.
I have ITLITE fpv setups on other quads and have no issue with as many viewers that want to tune into my broadcast that want to. Out on the field, there might be ten of us viewing the same flyers broadcast with no problems.All at 5.8Ghz.
In short, my experience with the Quad Wifi connection is limited to just the hand held camera mount. I've not tried a wifi connection with the bird and another device.
I wonder if you get telemetry on your Ipad with the Wifi connection?? I often get out about a mile and telemetry is a must have for flying. At that distance, the image can at times drop out and telemetry is the only way to know where your at. It's times like that that I'm glad I'm on the box and not in the googles.
Keep us updated on anything new you learn.

Hah.....I'd forgotten about this one. I think I tried to say too much on 2 subjects and got the issue confused.

What I was thinking originally was, basically, if you can see what the camera sees on the screen and you can also connect a smartphone to see what the camera sees - but that somehow overloads the system - then why not disconnect the screen so the picture's only being seen on the smart phone ??

This isn't quite true with Wifi. 802.11 protocols are based on TCP/IP, and IP is a connection based protocol. Everything that communicates on it needs 2-way comms to work. So most likely the way the CGO cameras work is that they're actually sending two separate video streams if two devices are connected. I'm not too familiar with how the CGO's specifically work, but I am pretty sure of the limitations of Wifi. It's technically possible to do just a dumb broadcast with Wifi, but both ends of the connection need special drivers, etc. And doing so probably breaks some FCC rules.

What I learned in basic terms is...
The Cgo cameras work as a Wifi hot spot. Everyone viewing the image has their own connection.
Each connection takes bandwidth from the camera and causes the lag and slow downs that we see in our viewers.

Hah.....I'd forgotten about this one. I think I tried to say too much on 2 subjects and got the issue confused.

What I was thinking originally was, basically, if you can see what the camera sees on the screen and you can also connect a smartphone to see what the camera sees - but that somehow overloads the system - then why not disconnect the screen so the picture's only being seen on the smart phone ??
Disconnecting the screen would not solve the problem the WiFi would still communicate with ST10. You would have to disconnect the WiFi communication with the ST10.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal