Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 compass calibration without e90

Reaction score
Hi all h520 users,

Know this was disscussed here and there and pieces of a workflow are scattered over different threads & posts.

Does anyone has a workflow on how to run a h520 compass calibration without camera? Having seen how hard calibration is for gimbal motors I am afraid of doing it again w camera on. E90 is vulnerable, my opinion, and I had to send it 2 or 3 times for IMU repair (don't know whether this has anything to do with calibration though) but am afraid of exposing the camera motors to extremes anyway.
On the other hand I recall someone saying that it is not recommended to take the camera off for calibration as it contains metal and magnets what can make compass to malfunction after putting it back on the drone?

Opinions and workflows pls.

On the similar HPlus, the camera is only necessary to initiate the calibration. You can initiate the compass calibration while the camera is mounted, then remove the camera before starting to rotate the drone. The calibration will run normally.
Thank you. Will give it a try.
Just a question - when is a right moment to put the camera back on? Will a blue progress bar turn green at the completion of the calibration process without the camera on? Or this is exactly when the camera needs to be installed back to prompt the color change to green?

when is a right moment to put the camera back on? Will a blue progress bar turn green at the completion of the calibration process without the camera on? Or this is exactly when the camera needs to be installed back to prompt the color change to green?
On the HPlus, there is no status indication on the controller while the camera is removed. The H520 is probably the same.
1.) Start the controller.
2.) Start the H520.
3.) Allow time for the controller, H520 and camera to fully boot up.
4.) Initiate the compass calibration.
5.) Remove the camera.
6.) Begin the normal rotation of the H520 around the arm positions as indicated by the arm LEDs.
7.) Continue the rotation as long as the drone is presenting new arm positions. It may perform some positions more than once.
8.) When the H520 decides calibration is complete, it will restart itself while still in your hands.
9.) When the H520 restarts, put it down and reinstall the camera.
10.) Allow time for the camera to display video on screen.
11.) When video is displayed in screen, turn off the drone.

I do not think the H520 On/Off button will work until the camera is installed and allowed to boot up. I suspect the On/Off button is intentionally disabled to prevent accidental shutdown during rotation, and the inhibit release comes through the camera.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold