Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Holding an angry bird by the tail

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my humble opinion...
If one knows the risk factors involved and goes in with their eyes open (so to speak), catching a drone is no more dangerous than using a power tool (I understand that many people here may have no experience with power tools), and yes, I still have all my fingers.

As far as problems getting the thing to shut down (hasn't happened to me in 10-15 catches): just to practice a worst-case scenario, I caught my H and pulled the battery out. That was 100% effective.

DB1: You definitely want the gear down when catching it (that's what you catch), and it shouldn't be very close to the ground/deck. I don't have RealSense (many would say I have no sense at all), but it seems you should be able to disable it, and you'll likely be grabbing the bird from behind anyway.

Pardon me while I climb down from this soap-box.

Reactions: PatR
Reactions: DB1
Regarding hand catching Captain Drone is a pro:

As to RealSense interfering with a hand catch OBS/RealSense should not be active (disabled via switch) and the bottom facing sensors for IPS (indoor positioning sensor) will only be active when there is no GPS lock. Here is a link to version 1.2 of the manual which covers RealSense:

http://download.yuneec.com/manuals/manual/Typhoon+H/Typhoon+H+Manuals+(EN,+ES,+FR,+IT).zip
Thanks! I really appreciate the info.

BTW how did you come up with the link to the newer manual? I just checked the Yuneec support download page earlier today and they don't show it. Version 1.1 is still offered.

I found that link here on this forum. Yuneec seems to be pretty slow on the draw as far as updating their website...I was surprised to find the updated manual available from them yet they still reference version 1.1 as a download for the H.

One more reason to avoid hand catching as much as possible. With several hundred flights on an H, and many hundreds more on other multirotors, I've yet to initiate a flight where a safe recovery was ever in question. The problem was not one with the H, but one related to your lack of critical thinking capabilities. That you see the problem as one with the flight system amplifies the situation.

The H was designed to be taken off and landed from a flat surface. That people elect to operate it in a manner that is outside of the design parameters makes problems with hand catching one of their own creation, not a design deficiency. Take a moment to think this through because it's applicable to a great many things, not just a flying meat cleaver. Use a chain saw improperly and you can end up with a face full of very unforgiving blade teeth and deadly impact. Would that be the fault of the chain saw?

It didn't look at all like he blamed the flight system or accused it of being the problem, but simply asked what would cause that to happen. The insults, and lack of patience with the less experienced people not understanding makes it hard for anyone new to want to ask a question for fear of being embarrassed. At no point did he blame the H or doing any bashing of anything or anyone, besides himself, so I don't se why the need to make him feel stupid. He said he was flying at the beach. Not a place known for a perfectly flat surface to land on, unless he can land it perfectly on the 3 sq. ft. foam lid, and just about everything a new pilot will read says to hand catch instead of landing on an uneven surface.
How bad would he be insulted for coming on here and saying that he tried to land on the beach, but the H took off sideways because it landed uneven and tried to compensate?
As with most forums, Rubik, they are not for learning, and you can't win. If you have a question, it's probably a dumb one to the more experienced pilots that never made mistakes, so it's best to hurt your H or yourself by trial and error, or face the forum and wait for the insults.
Sorry, but it really sucks that an honest mistake and question is received with insults, or talking down to.

Reactions: prathbun
It didn't look at all like he blamed the flight system or accused it of being the problem, but simply asked what would cause that to happen. The insults, and lack of patience with the less experienced people not understanding makes it hard for anyone new to want to ask a question for fear of being embarrassed. At no point did he blame the H or doing any bashing of anything or anyone, besides himself, so I don't se why the need to make him feel stupid. He said he was flying at the beach. Not a place known for a perfectly flat surface to land on, unless he can land it perfectly on the 3 sq. ft. foam lid, and just about everything a new pilot will read says to hand catch instead of landing on an uneven surface.
How bad would he be insulted for coming on here and saying that he tried to land on the beach, but the H took off sideways because it landed uneven and tried to compensate?
As with most forums, Rubik, they are not for learning, and you can't win. If you have a question, it's probably a dumb one to the more experienced pilots that never made mistakes, so it's best to hurt your H or yourself by trial and error, or face the forum and wait for the insults.
Sorry, but it really sucks that an honest mistake and question is received with insults, or talking down to.

I couldn't agree more. There are as many ways to do this stuff as there are people doing it; and with the proliferation of relatively inexpensive, highly technical, poorly documented pieces of gear like these and other UAVs, a Typhoon H or such is the first experience many people have with any kind of RC gear whatsoever, much less one that has the potential to really ruin your day if you make the wrong mistake.

I'm as guilty as anyone of being set in my ways, and tending to think that because my way is the way I've been doing it that it's the best/only reasonable way to do it. I've had a lot of "Ah-ha" moments on forums like this, reading advice from folks who've been doing it longer than me (and a good number of folks who just think differently than I do, regardless of their stick-time).

That said, when a poster whips out the ALL-CAPS and multiple exclamation points(!!!) and implies that I'm crazy or stupid for doing something (like hand-catching my drone) that to me is a normal, if seldom-used, part of the activity it tempts me to walk away from the whole forum. In many cases it also tempts me to suggest that the poster think a bit more about their spelling and grammar before they spew their opinions at the rest of us.

If someone posts a question on a subject in which you have no personal experience other than pichers on the internets, maybe it's better to just keep quiet and follow along.

You might learn something.

Bring on the S#!t-storm.

Jester,

Just how many "honest mistakes" made by "inexperienced" people need to be coddled before they start getting called out? Why are inexperienced people even flying with an expensive camera rig? Why would an "inexperienced" person elect to fly in a difficult location? Might just a tiny bit of common sense suggest starting out with a relatively cheap toy MR make a lot more sense?

There are a lot of thinking people out there that understand they need to crawl before they walk, and walk before they run. Seems with multirotors that is not the case. OTOH, that same person would not buy an RC airplane and try to hand catch it. Why does having the propeller on the front instead of on top provide the airplane more safety consideration?

You seem to think I'm cruel and heartless. That's not true at all and I'll teach anyone that wants to learn, but each has to start at the beginning. What IS cruel and heartless is seeing someone end up with over 90 stitches and staples in their face after getting hit with a multitrotor. Perhaps just one of these "inexperienced" people would prefer being able to stick their tounge out the side of their face through their cheek instead of being leaned on with a comment that was not meant to be ignored or forgotten.

I've been in the RC hobby for a very long time and have seen fingers lost, femoral arteries cut, planes hit people in the face, arms laid open, multirotors get loose and hit people, and know of some that have died, all because of a propeller or rotor blade. Most all of the accidents happened because those involved failed to consider the possible ramifications of their individual actions. Safety should not be considered after an "accident". Safety starts long before an activity commences. Anyone that does not "understand", is "inexperienced", or lacks comprehension of their equipment or how to use it and elects to charge full speed ahead despite their personal deficiencies has a problem they need to correct before they pick up a transmitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how the TH knows the difference between hovering near the ground and sitting on the ground. Surely, the atmospheric pressure altitude sensor and GPS systems are not accurate enough. The accelerometers can only sense change in velocity. You certainly wouldn't want the motors to go to idle speed if the bird were not on the ground.

Perhaps there is a weight on skids switch? ALthough that would be a little too much to hope for!

I wonder how the TH knows the difference between hovering near the ground and sitting on the ground.

It does not. What it knows is any movement once the props have powered down, and it tries to compensate. If you must hand-catch, do not let the drone move until after the props completely stop.

Jester,

Just how many "honest mistakes" made by "inexperienced" people need to be coddled before they start getting called out? Why are inexperienced people even flying with an expensive camera rig? Why would an "inexperienced" person elect to fly in a difficult location? Might just a tiny bit of common sense suggest starting out with a relatively cheap toy MR make a lot more sense?

There are a lot of thinking people out there that understand they need to crawl before they walk, and walk before they run. Seems with multirotors that is not the case. OTOH, that same person would not buy an RC airplane and try to hand catch it. Why does having the propeller on the front instead of on top provide the airplane more safety consideration?

You seem to think I'm cruel and heartless. That's not true at all and I'll teach anyone that wants to learn, but each has to start at the beginning. What IS cruel and heartless is seeing someone end up with over 90 stitches and staples in their face after getting hit with a multitrotor. Perhaps just one of these "inexperienced" people would prefer being able to stick their tounge out the side of their face through their cheek instead of being leaned on with a comment that was not meant to be ignored or forgotten.

I've been in the RC hobby for a very long time and have seen fingers lost, femoral arteries cut, planes hit people in the face, arms laid open, multirotors get loose and hit people, and know of some that have died, all because of a propeller or rotor blade. Most all of the accidents happened because those involved failed to consider the possible ramifications of their individual actions. Safety should not be considered after an "accident". Safety starts long before an activity commences. Anyone that does not "understand", is "inexperienced", or lacks comprehension of their equipment or how to use it and elects to charge full speed ahead despite their personal deficiencies has a problem they need to correct before they pick up a transmitter.

I don't know about cruel and heartless. I can say that you seem to be very insure and feel the need to talk down to, or insult those that know less than you to try to prove to everyone that you are smarter than they. As I go through the forum, I see many of your posts where you do exactly that. Look at your comment..."
You also make a lot of negative assumptions just so you can insult people. Look at this response you posted, for example. You are so **** smart and above the rest of us that you are able to know, without asking in an non-insulting manner, that all of us newer people bought the TH as our first rig, and that we haven't started out with a cheaper MR. Then you assume they don't have common sense because they bought the TH as their first rig. Does your common sense tell you that it is a very safe rig to start out with because it is so advanced and practically flies itself? I understand you are so amazing that you ripped the TH out of the box, fired it up, and ran perfect Cable Cam routes without issue. Could it be that the TH is much more complicated than my other three MR's, and that it's so complex that it has a huge learning curve? I know not for you, but the rest of us flawed idiots that, "Lack Comprehension," may have a learning curve, or be totally confused by a poorly written owners manual, and thousands of videos of differing advice. Is it possible that he felt he was experienced enough to fly at the beach?
We are aware that he is not the flying genius you are, but maybe he took the time to see if it was windy at the beach first, that there were no people where he was flying, and that he has flown enough in the padded room, (you believe we should all stay in until we reach your level of perfection), to safely go to the beach with his too expensive TH, and maybe even had the brains to not try to land it on an uneven surface. I know it's a stretch for you to believe that he may have given a single thought to what he was doing before he did it, but why do you feel the need to insult anyone with a question that you may have known the answer to, long before he was even into RC's?
And who are you to decide what we can afford, or what constitutes an expensive rig? I don't consider this an expensive rig at all, especially considering what it's capabilities are. The only reason it wasn't my first, in your eyes is no common sense or thought to safety, but the truth is, without your negative assumptions that make you assume the worst in everyone before knowing their story, is that I was waiting for it to come out, see the reviews, and then waiting for availability in a store where I could put my hands on it before buying. You know, so I didn't make a poorly educated decision and need to come on here asking you to, "Coddle" me.
Go back through your posts and try to see if you show "common sense" or forethought in all the instances where you assumed the worst in people, and that they are inexperienced and stupid, or that this rig is too expensive to be their first. Please point me to the post where all these lesser people than yourself have asked you to "Coddle" them. In fact, I don't see a lot of cases where they specifically asked you to help them with your condescending advice. I know this may be a blow to your inflated ego, or lack thereof, making you feel the need to show everyone that they are not as good as you, but you really could think about how you talk to people that haven't reached your level of flying. Again, many of us spent several months studying everything we could read, and every video and review we could find before even buying one, but with the high tech nature of these, and the ever changing advice, and even updates, us lower level of humans can get confused.
I would have loved to be at the funeral of the person you say died, and watched you go up and speak.
"Ya, we'll all miss Joe, but he was an F'n idiot that had no business operating an RC toy before mastering a balsa wood plane, and I feel sorry for his wife and children sitting here, probably crying because they know their dad was a piece of crap that didn't have the common sense or nerve to ask for my insulting advice before flying."
We've all seen your type before, and see right through your need to show us how much better you are than the rest of us. We usually saw that behavior in those people as children though, and most never grew out of it. I'm sure you can relate.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
I don't want to get into this too deep, but a lack of experience is what causes people to think an aircraft that flies itself is a safe way to start out. That they are unaware that our self flying aircraft are still toy grade in all things, from individual electrical components all the way through what is for all intents and purposes beta level programming code, makes the danger of relying in them to save us from our own mistakes, and those generated by uncertified manufacturing processes and the associated technology employed in them. The way many of them are flown can make a bad situation worse because some think they are safe to fly at long distances. The put far too much trust in very imperfect products, at time placing themselves, or worse, others, at significant risk.

Is my attitude arrogant? Perhaps. Calloused? Absolutely. After seeing many hundreds of posts from people that have done dumb, unthinking things that share the same theme, I no longer have any desire to coddle anyone. I call 'em as I see 'em.

People that start out with expensive camera rigs simply drank the advertising Kool Aid that suggests anyone, with or without experience, can do it without significant concern, and both the product and activity are inherently safe. That's not reality. Does that mean they will not be able to learn or enjoy their new found passion? Not at all, but it does suggest they should consider taking small steps, research all they can about how self stabilizing auto pilots work, how the GPS and compass interact, and which has priority in what. Learn one facet of the aircraft at a time. Understand the fundamentals and practice them until proficient in places conducive to a safe learning environment. Don't push to the extremes until the basics are well understood. The person that tries to hand catch one of these and wonders why it acts like a squirming snake while they are holding on to it, moving it from the position it had stabilized itself in doesn't have a clue. The short version has the aircraft trying to do what it was told to do.

Last edited:
In my humble opinion...
If one knows the risk factors involved and goes in with their eyes open (so to speak), catching a drone is no more dangerous than using a power tool (I understand that many people here may have no experience with power tools), and yes, I still have all my fingers.

I totally agree.

Both of you gentlemen have made some good points and I know you're trying not to violate forum rules. Such as to be nice, no personal attacks.

You two are coming from different perspectives, different points of view, and I think that's a good thing. This forum can accommodate everyone, from new members with their first drone on the way to members who have built their own machines for years. Perspective forms opinions.

Here's the thing: it will reflect positively on all of us if we do not disparage those with less experience or knowledge. It is better not to reply at all if we think a post is dumb, ignorant, or otherwise beneath our dignity.

If we spent our thousand or thousands of bucks on a drone, it is ours.
When I joined this forum back in June last year, I had no craft. Thanks to the members here who helped me along, answered countless of my dumb questions, I feel I have come a long way but I still learn something new almost every day.

Both of you gentlemen have made some good points and I know you're trying not to violate forum rules. Such as to be nice, no personal attacks.

You two are coming from different perspectives, different points of view, and I think that's a good thing. This forum can accommodate everyone, from new members with their first drone on the way to members who have built their own machines for years. Perspective forms opinions.

Here's the thing: it will reflect positively on all of us if we do not disparage those with less experience or knowledge. It is better not to reply at all if we think a post is dumb, ignorant, or otherwise beneath our dignity.

When I joined this forum back in June last year, I had no craft. Thanks to the members here who helped me along, answered countless of my dumb questions, I feel I have come a long way but I still learn something new almost every day.

Thank you, Ray. Well said.

If I've talked down to or disparaged anybody here, I offer sincere apologies.

Ignorance and stupidity are NOT the same thing. I've met very few stupid people in my life; and being the kind of person who is constantly trying new things I find myself riding the ignorance bus quite a bit. It's a good thing I like the learning process — and consider failure to be an integral part of it.

This is a terrific hobby (Business? Sport? Pass-time? Yes — all of the above!), and for the new person can be incredibly bewildering. Unfortunately coming into a forum like this and asking questions often-times opens a floodgate of answers from all points of the compass, many of which are contradictory — and many of which seem to carry a lot of baggage for the answerer.

I'll do my best to speak from my own experience and keep judgement out of it.

If I may throw in a suggestion about hand catching the H.
Only do it if absolutely necessary.
Why put yourself that close to spinning props that I know will cut you very nicely. Seen it from experience. Those that hand catch often, are putting themselves at higher risk . Only makes sense. If you catch often, you will get cut eventually. Get good at landing on the ground where the H is meant to land.
IMHO

Good points, all of them.
I'd like to apologize to you, PatR, and anyone else that may have been offended by my not so friendly comments.
I get a little over sensitive due to the many forums where it's hard to be the new guy asking a question due to personality differences, or strong opinions toward ones lack of understanding something. I have taught myself, without any formal education past high school, how to build our second house, rebuilt many engines on cars, how to weld and fabricate just about anything, powder coat, paint, do upholstery, and am now (after the $130,000 bids for my dirt work). Ouch... I went out and bought a backhoe to start making our little jet ski lake into a bigger boating lake. Actually the backhoe was just so I could start asking everyone that sees it, "Do you think my tractor's sexy?" But also to do some dirt work and land maintenance. ;)
I can even hold intelligent conversations on most things nuclear weapon, locomotives, and even blackholes. I even became a down hole gyro survey engineer in the oilfield, without a day of college, and all by not being afraid to try, But, not without first taking to the amazing forums full of much more experienced people, (like PatR and others) that helped me not screw up too terribly during my trials and errors. My point is, I'm not dumb, or don't feel I am, and don't feel most people are if they are asking questions to avaoid the big mistakes. I'm also not afraid of doing just about anything...Except asking a question in a forum where I may be belittled for my lack of knowledge in what another person sees as so basic a question that I should have already known.
Now, for a guy that considers himself as not dumb, I lashed out over feeling like someone was disrespectful, and did it in a disrespectful way.
Now I do feel pretty dumb. For that, and for derailing what the OP's original topic was I apologize to all of you fine people, and will do my best to stick to just being a smart ***, and keep the *** part out of here.
I would like to add, as a person that lost a pinky and most of the use of my ring finger to a prop, (wish it was my middle finger now that it's back on and stuck straight ;)) due to a programming error on the plane manufacturer's end, (that they have corrected so I will not name) that catching my TH is something I will avoid, even if it means buying another one, but I'd love my words on it to be read by anyone reading this, just so they give it a more thorough thinking about getting a very good grip and be as careful as they can right before they do it, and not just a quick grab because it seemed like it wasn't much threat. 4 surgeries and counting, with 2 fingers not useable, but it was my daughters face or my chopped up hand. Now that she's of dating age, I may think differently, and I wish I had the pictures they took, to really drive the safety point home, but they're on a dead laptop that I haven't pulled them from. Ok, long winded enough, but trying to say I agree with PatR's concerns on hand catching. The delivery was my issue, and my response was terrible, and again, I apologize to all.
Mark

This forum is a place of learning and exchanging ideas. Accurate information is far more important than opinions. No one should hesitate to ask a question for fear of being ridiculed. Anyone who has a concern regarding safe operation can so state with reasonable arguments. The objective should be informational, not confrontational.

Reactions: Jester and prathbun
This forum is a place of learning and exchanging ideas. Accurate information is far more important than opinions. No one should hesitate to ask a question for fear of being ridiculed. Anyone who has a concern regarding safe operation can so state with reasonable arguments. The objective should be informational, not confrontational.

Agreed, and I apologize, and sent him an apology, as well.

Reactions: Steve Carr
With two daughters I can definitely appreciate your feelings about dating age. I often thought having two daughters was God's way in a little pay back.

Reactions: DB1 and Jester
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hodgepodge