Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

HOW TO AVOID BIRD ATTACKS!

Discussion in 'Q500 4K Discussion' started by m5zealot, Jul 31, 2016.

1. m5zealot

Hey guys. Well it seems living by the Pacific Ocean has it's hazards for my newfound hobby! Twice this week I was pestered by aggressive seagulls. I had to do a rapid climb in hare mode to avoid colliding with a huge male seagull. I was not flying anywhere near nesting grounds or known seagull hang outs. They just appeared out of nowhere!

I assumed a noisy machine with bright LEDS and other scary sounds would keep birds away from my quadcopter but I was wrong! You know the spiral marking on turbofan jet engines? They are suppose to scare birds away from being ingested into the engine! LOL Are there any gadgets or tips you can recommend aside from not flying by the water anymore?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KBflyer

Ya its called a shotgun and if you get out numbered you should invest in one of these for your own personal safety :)

51UmQYcHiPL._AC_UL200_SR160,200_.jpg

NRRTRAINS and m5zealot like this.
  3. m5zealot

Trust me I have thought of that. Even a pellet guy may help. Unfortunately discharging a firearm within city limits (I think in any major city) is illegal - straight to jail card! I wonder if seagulls are federally protected here? Darn flying cockroaches! :p

4. KBflyer

Here in Canada if you shoot one your off to jail. Dam **** hawks as we call them :)

Jay Bennett and m5zealot like this.
  5. NRRTRAINS

just about anywhere

6. DaNihsel

Funny story. I flew my 4K drone couple days ago at 175.5 ft, two birds notice the drone flying and thought it was coming close. They came out trying to grab it. Luckily I noticed and quickly brought it back to the ground. Those birds were angry, literally. :D

#6 DaNihsel, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  7. FilmIdol

Terrific shot of the seagull though! LOL I only worry about larger raptors. I saw a video of a hawk grabbing a UAV from the air and flying off. Now I have nightmares about it.

m5zealot likes this.
  8. mich

Here in Canada if you shoot one your off to jail. Dam **** hawks as we call them :)

But what if we arm the drone with a shotgun , darn i see the problem
    The drone must be on GPS else its displaying that newton law

Nah i just leave gps off and then ..... run no flyfly fast :confused:

9. m5zealot

I was flying two days ago by the coast again because it's been so hot here in San Diego lately. This area is just outside the no fly zone from my home in downtown. I was pestered by another seagull, came out of nowhere right before I took this shot. I just put it in hare mode and shot the quad straight up to about 400 ft. I think I startled the sucker because I'm sure he's never seen another bird do that before! 13912545_10206615427534287_1977984956338033392_n.jpg

10. Ari

Ari

11. Air One

Nice photo it looks to be in HDR what did you do to your photo in editing, thanks

12. m5zealot

LOL~ I want one now please! A fellow pilot I met the other day put eye/teeth decals on his Inspire 1. He swore it keeps all types of birds away.