Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I have flipped my H on landing 3 times now. ENOUGH!

For me, I've found stopping the descent a foot or two off the ground to bleed off downwards velocity and stabilize the aircraft always allows for a safe touchdown. It also provides an opportunity to observe if the aircraft is stable or not before touching down. If not stable it goes back up to try again.
Yes!! I think that is the possible answer. My recent successful landings were preceded by slowing the decent down when it was about 10 feet high and then letting the H do its thing the rest of the way and the landings were smooth and the motors shut down within a second or two. However, my two tip overs occurred when the H was already on the ground and the motors did not go into idle, causing it to rev up slightly resulting in the tip overs. If anything, that is what I was doing wrong.

I almost exclusively hand catch my Phantom 2 Vision Plus since if ground landing in anything more than a slight breeze, or a mildly uneven landing area it just loves to tip over. In my opinion, it's landing gear footprint is just too small. Until relatively recently, though, I used to almost exclusively ground land my TH, only hand catching when I judged it to be necessary. Over the recent months, though, I have taken to hand catch the TH more often...I'd say more than 50% of the time now.

I have to say, though, that in over a year of landing the TH it has only tipped over once and that was because it landed on an uneven clump of grass that I thought I'd miss...I didn't. Luckily no props broken.

So, although hand catching the Phantom is a matter of course for me, hand catching the TH is quickly catching up. Hand catching, for me, is not a problem, but I always take care when doing it.

If you bring your typhoon to about 1 to 3 feet off the ground, wait for it to settle, and then simply push the red button without touching the sticks, the drone will land on its own and shut off it's motors.

If you bring your typhoon to about 1 to 3 feet off the ground, wait for it to settle, and then simply push the red button without touching the sticks, the drone will land on its own and shut off it's motors.
Thomas, so you mean you tell us to kill the motors when the H is about 1 meter up?! Unbelivable in my view.

Thomas, so you mean you tell us to kill the motors when the H is about 1 meter up?! Unbelivable in my view.

No, Photo.

Thomas is stating what has been discussed in another thread - I believe it is titled: "Another use for the start/stop button". It is currently a sticky post by Steve.

There is a video showing a momentary press of the red button drops the H about a foot. Continue to do so until about a foot or two above a landing spot. From there, holding the button will initiate the final descent and shut off the motors. The motors do not shut off before touchdown as the H will descend the remaining foot or so automatically, before shutting off the motors.

As with any approach, be ready to abort. Might take a bit more 'thought' and practice on this one though.

Jeff

Last edited:
As for me, I land or hand catch, about 75/25. That way, I stay able to handle either. I concur with the "pause a couple feet up before landing", and the facing into the wind. I also use prop guards at all times. Between the guards and using tri-blade CF folding props, I've not (yet) broken a prop, even though I've tipped a couple times. Even if the prop hits something that gets past the guard, the blades just fold back and don't break. I tested this by deliberately obstructing a prop at idle. It went into 5-rotor mode, but no prop or motor damage. I wanted to try the quad-blade folding Graupner, but am not satisfied with the quality of the hub. I may get sufficiently bored someday to AutoCad and either 3d print or cnc mill appropriate hubs. If I do, I'll probably try 5 through 7-blade variants as well.

I digress, sorry. Back to landing: one thing that bit me was the IPS. RealSense-equipped H, just after installing the RS. Flying around my house (outside) to get a feel for how the RS behaves. Had OA turned on, and hit RTH with a tree in the way to watch it avoid the tree (it did). It came back, dropped the skids and started down. I decided to fly a little longer and cancelled the RTH. When I did bring it down later, it refused to land. Oops, turn off the OA. It still refused to land. The first time this happened, I just hand caught it. Later, I got curious and tried to recreate the event. This time, I remembered about the IPS not allowing it close to the ground if the gear is up. Since RTH had lowered the gear, the ST's switch was still up. Correct that, and then it would land. apparently the FC gets its gear position from the ST, not from where it should know it to be...

No, Photo.

Thomas is stated what has been discussed in another thread - I believe it is titled: "Another use for the start/stop button". It is currently a sticky post by Steve.

There is a video showing a momentary press of the red button drops the H about a foot. Continue to do so until about a foot or two above a landing spot. From there, holding the button will initiate the final descent and shut off the motors. The motors do not shut off before touchdown as the H will descend the remaining foot or so automatically, before shutting off the motors.

As with any approach, be ready to abort. Might take a bit more 'thought' and practice on this one though.

Jeff
Thanx Jeff!

I've landed with no problem in winds up to 27mph, most always land on some angle of slope and rough terrain, and really don't understand it when people mention having problems with the slightest breeze or uneven surfaces. I never wait for calm conditions to take off or land. My H's were obtained 8 months apart and perform exactly the same. I have not upgraded to the "latest and greatest" firmware alleged to provide for better landings. They have landed well with every firmware version they were loaded with. It's why I firmly believe the issue is not one with the H but with a user's experience level and effective use of the controls. There's a difference between between beginner, intermediate, and advanced operator, and all of it comes from experience, not time in possession. Skill tends to be obtained from repeated exposure to diverse operating conditions. Works the same way in full scale. A monkey can fly when all the conditions are perfect. OTOH, I've flown with operators that were totally incapable of controlling their aircraft manually in 10mph-15mph winds, who had to use the Auto T/O and Auto Land features in their system to get them off and on the ground. They flat out admitted they always crash when trying to T/O or land in the wind. In those cases I found the H could be landed more smoothly than the auto features in the other system could do.

Last edited:
When you catch by hand, do you use just one hand? Won't that wear out the dog at the top of the landing gear, or maybe even break it?

It happened to me two times when I first got mine about a month and a half. Calm winds, flat pavement. It was on the ground already and the kinda fluttered and sped up a little as if it didn't know it had already landed and tipped over. I have hand caught since. Here's how I do it: Bring it down at a level where you can firmly grasp the vertical part of one of the landing gear, but so the props are higher than your head. Hold the ST-16 by the handle in one hand so that you can reach the start/stop button with your thumb. Grab the landing gear with the other hand, but don't move the H. Then hold the red button until the motors turn off.
I have that problem a lot on my t500q but not my h but only on the h when there is wind I have not tried to catch it yet but my h lands hard so what im doing now is when I land and Im about 5 feet from the grown I put it on rabbit Im also thinking about buying some landing sleeves the thick ones for the landing legs four so it won't bonce so much

This topic is starting to get on my nerves, I honestly don't understand what could be happening, and excuse my exceptisism, but I'm still almost certain its mostly Pilot related (and I cannot stress enough how non-insulting I mean it; I know I, myself, am relatively a noob at this RC hobbie and I still have a looot of stuff to learn, and still, never had this particular issue)

I'm extremely curious about this, because there's no accurate tell on how "smooth" described landings are.. A smooth landing for some one not familiar with the H could be considered a rough landing to a more experienced user.

This "out of nowhere" flips really bug me, obviously something is wrong is happening, and if the aircraft isn't misbehaving during flight then I see no logical sense about why it should start acting just upon landing..

The H being my very first UAV, one of the first things I made sure to practice every time was the landing. Since day one I hated bouncing it on the ground, I was certain I would brake a gear strut or dislodge the camera if I kept doing it.

I have a few recorded landings, which were one of my firsts and I know I hated it because I could see the potential damage to my recently acquired UAV. Now I can see with more recent recordings how much smoother my landings have become.

Anyway I've decided to prepare yet again Another video trying to explain what I mean, hopefully I will be able to more clearly explain what I mean.

Greetings!

I like your way of thinking. I'm considering making a video showing repeated landings as well. They really are not all that hard to do. The problem for me is I don't know how to make a video that contains synced sub video windows in them. Showing the H during a landing is one thing. Showing the control inputs that correspond to the aircraft visuals is another.

Hmm, that got me to thinking. If I set up one H on a table to use the camera to film record another H being landed, connected an HDMI cable from the ground camera H to a large monitor, set up an a6000 with a 16mm or 20mm lens in a position that filmed both the ST-16 and the monitor, it just might work, Perhaps a little too much work.

The good props for my fixed wing planes (24"-26", 3 blade carbon) run ~$135.00 each. The 28", 2 blade wood "cheapies" run ~$60.00 each. You learn how to land or go bankrupt.

Last edited:
Reactions: JulesTEO
I'm another one that has experienced multiple tips and near tips. I even had someone watch my hands on the ST-16 as I was landing to make sure I wasn't letting go of the stick too soon or moving it. The H will land and two seconds later you hear an increased pitch from the right side of the propellers and it flips. Always on clear, level ground. I've stopped it from happening by hitting the start/stop button when the H is about 2 feet off the ground as I'm landing. That way, the motors are stopping a second or less after it touches down.

My next step is that I am going to strap on my go-pro to film the **** controller in my hand so that they nay-sayers can see it's not always user error. I have calibrated this thing about 5 times. Near my home, in a park and literally in the middle of nowhere in a field with no metal, no electrical wires, no houses....nothing but dirt and hay. The drifting on landing is getting ridiculous too. I have to fly back up sometimes 3 or more times and come down in a few different spots to stop the drifting.

And then today, during filming in a location that is a 6 hour round trip from my home....the video recording starts cutting out. I have a minute or so recorded around take off and then it quits and mid-flight, another video starts again! Then the last video is corrupted! Newly formatted card. First video I took in the day was fine. 2nd video - end was cut off. 3rd video middle of flight video cut off, end shows up on separate video with missing time. 4th video corrupted. Maybe bad card? I will check with a new card. I love the flight and camera capabilities of the H but after the first one I had and the ST-16 wouldn't turn on after 2 days and then now the new machine having problems as well, I'm a little sick of it. Bottom line is that I'm just getting kind of tired of this drone and am wishing I had purchased a Phantom instead. I get anxious every time I take it out, wondering what's going to happen next.

Have you read the manual?

You mean the manual that says to hover the drone while calibrating the accelerator? LOL At least that's what mine said to do. Luckily I first decided to watch videos on how to do it before trying that. The manual I have is full of typos and bad English.

[QUOTE="PatR, post: 98013, member: 1911"I have not upgraded to the "latest and greatest" firmware alleged to provide for better landings. .[/QUOTE]

And maybe here lies the problem. I HAVE upgraded the firmware because of all I heard about many problems prior to the new firmware update. Maybe others experiencing the tipping on landing upgraded as well.

It has become obvious to me that not all of the H's are created equal and are possibly manufactured in different place. I've come to that conclusion by comparing manuals. I bought mine less than a month ago and the manual is junk (as I've mentioned earlier). This is compared to a manual of another H bought around the same time that has perfect English and sometimes completely different instructions from mine.

And maybe here lies the problem. I HAVE upgraded the firmware because of all I heard about many problems prior to the new firmware update. Maybe others experiencing the tipping on landing upgraded as well.

I've owned my H for a year now. Every time there is a firmware update, I apply this to my H and my ST16. After 12 months of taking off, flying, and landing my H in all sorts of conditions. I have never had a flip-over. Still on the original set of props (although one is now showing signs of wear in the locking mechanism). Maybe I'm lucky. I think not.

With all this talk from members having issues landing, it would be great to see some actual video of the proposed incidents so we can try to further assist. I'm not discounting the incidents, but without really seeing the behaviour of the H (and pilot/operator) on approach, then it starts to get pretty darn hard to decipher things.

With all this talk from members having issues landing, it would be great to see some actual video of the proposed incidents so we can try to further assist. I'm not discounting the incidents, but without really seeing the behaviour of the H (and pilot/operator) on approach, then it starts to get pretty darn hard to decipher things.

I posted video of one of my tips from the H's camera. In that it's clear that the H is landing on a flat road, down for a couple of seconds, then flips. As I said earlier, my next plan is to record my hands on the controls and the H landing simultaneously.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulrs