Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I wonder if anyone had the same experience as I did flying in snow.

I like this video. Lessons that were learned, post flight inspection with prop icing still visible, cold temperature effects on batteries, great musical score, sense of serenity throughout. Bravo!

Reactions: vergecraft
An important thing to take away from this is the effects of visible moisture (fog) during temperatures near the freezing level. Ice gets collected at the propeller blades that will accumulate, placing an increasingly higher load on the motors and electrical system, with prop ice eventually (often shortly) becoming thick and causing loss of lift and thrust. When that happens the aircraft will plummet.

The condition most often occurs at temperatures very near to the freezing level. When the temperatures are well below freezing the air cannot retain much moisture, and be dry enough to fly even during snow fall. Then again, if freezing rain occurs everything goes downhill extremely fast.

An important thing to take away from this is the effects of visible moisture (fog) during freezing temperatures. Icing is induced at the propeller blades that will accumulate, placing a higher load on the motors and electrical system, with prop ice eventually (often shortly) becoming thick and causing loss of lift and thrust. When that happens the aircraft will plummet.
Funny you are mentioning what was showed. Monday morning we had a fog that was just getting ready to lift. I was thinking when it gets hit by the sun, it's going to make for some nice dramatic shots with the shadows. I only decided to not go up because of a fear of the moist conditions, not the icing. New item to add to mental checklist.

Reactions: flyingkar7
I like this video. Lessons that were learned, post flight inspection with prop icing still visible, cold temperature effects on batteries, great musical score, sense of serenity throughout. Bravo!
Thanks. I appreciate your comments..

Some pilots spray the props with silicone to reduce the icing. Keeping the battery inside of your coat is an absolute must, or an insulated bag with hand warmers inside.

I flew my H yesterday in 7c temperature (no wind). Indeed, the first time it's flown since 18th November because of poor weather. Yes, I ensured the batteries were nice and warm before putting them into the aircraft but I was still seeing the flight time reduced by around 3 or 4 minutes from what I would have expected in warmer weather.

For my part, I found 2 to 3 minutes less flights, but it was to 0 ° c.
When it is cold, the air is denser, but when you get higher, it is less dense. And then I'm flying cool :)

Hi,
Thanks for this sharing....of experiences.
Project of heater LiPo batteries bag for drones:
Project of heater LiPo batteries bag for drones
ResulTestBis.jpg

Took my H for a flight after a snow storm. I saw some videos of pilot succeeding in flying in cold weather. so I wanted to try myself. It didn't work out as expected.

Hello yes I had the same problem too.. it was about 39 degrees and a little windy. I had 4 full charged batteries.i was about to do some Ariel footage for a contractor that was remodeling a school.. just as I lifted off I got low battery warning on 1st 2nd and 3rd battery.. in less than 2 minuets apiece.. by time I put the 4th battery in I received a new warning message saying the ground controller doesn’t have enough heat to operate.. I would like to know what is needed to do? I seen some people on YouTube fly the H in snowy weather with no problem.. but I had many problems in snowy weather

The trick is to keep the aircraft in the batteries warm before the flight, I flown my H down to -25 degrees Fahrenheit with 18 minutes of flight time per battery, transmitter actually gives you more problems at those temperatures then the aircraft, LCD screen starts to skip and the controls become slow and hard to move around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig