Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Indoor height restricted?

Reaction score
I'm trying to fly the Breeze indoors in a big hall. I even can get a gps fix. However there Breeze doesn't want to climb higher than 3m.

Is the breeze restricted for flying indoor? And how does it know that it's indoor even with GPS on?

So last Saturday I had to film in a gymnasium. I had already flewn indoors in a living room etc. Although the breeze tends to drift slightly, it worked kinda ok.

Now in the gymnasium, things were different. Our goal was to film from close to the ceiling, with the camera pointing down. So I set off and made the drone climb. This happened very slowly and at 3m it wouldn't even climb higher. I guess the 3m is the maximum altitude for the ground sensing sensors as the IRS to work.
Also the drone was very unstable. It drifted in almost any direction, even up and down and sometimes even not listening to the controls. Also it wouldn't fly faster than 1m/s. Really annoying.

I managed to kinda get it into the directions I wanted it to, but still far from good enough to shoot some decent film.

At the meantime there was a parrot drone, and it completely destroyed my breeze. It felt like the parrot was up in the air constantly, while I was trying to connect to my drone, rebooting it many times. The batteries of the parrot didn't last as long as the breeze's, but they recharged much faster. And the Parrot was so stable indoor, flying fast and very controllable, in any direction. The Parrot is also better protected against crashes and hard landings. It's made of softer material so it doesn't get a hard knock every time it lands, as the breeze does. And it can do a flip! Not very useful, but it gives a bigger wow factor.

I still think the breeze is the more mature drone, but for indoor flying, the parrot kicks it's ***. The only thing it lacks is a rotating camera for filming under an angle

So last Saturday I had to film in a gymnasium. I had already flewn indoors in a living room etc. Although the breeze tends to drift slightly, it worked kinda ok.

Now in the gymnasium, things were different. Our goal was to film from close to the ceiling, with the camera pointing down. So I set off and made the drone climb. This happened very slowly and at 3m it wouldn't even climb higher. I guess the 3m is the maximum altitude for the ground sensing sensors as the IRS to work.
Also the drone was very unstable. It drifted in almost any direction, even up and down and sometimes even not listening to the controls. Also it wouldn't fly faster than 1m/s. Really annoying.

I managed to kinda get it into the directions I wanted it to, but still far from good enough to shoot some decent film.

At the meantime there was a parrot drone, and it completely destroyed my breeze. It felt like the parrot was up in the air constantly, while I was trying to connect to my drone, rebooting it many times. The batteries of the parrot didn't last as long as the breeze's, but they recharged much faster. And the Parrot was so stable indoor, flying fast and very controllable, in any direction. The Parrot is also better protected against crashes and hard landings. It's made of softer material so it doesn't get a hard knock every time it lands, as the breeze does. And it can do a flip! Not very useful, but it gives a bigger wow factor.

I still think the breeze is the more mature drone, but for indoor flying, the parrot kicks it's ***. The only thing it lacks is a rotating camera for filming under an angle

One year later, some new and more knowledged people appear to have arrived at the forum. I was wondering, what do you guys think of the above story?

It has been a while since I've flown my breeze, because it annoys me more than that it gives me pleasure. It takes me between 5 to 10 minutes and several reboots before I can get it to the green light fase. And when I can finally get it up in the air, it disconnects after about 1 minute, leaving it hanging in the air, before starting a rth procedure. During this time my devices can't find the access point and there is no way to reconnect.

I'll try playing with some different fw's, but I suspect there might just be something wrong with the drone.

I will get back to you on height restriction for indoor flight. It may be a restriction on non-GPS flight. I need to test flying outdoors in non-GPS mode to see if there is a height restriction. I also need to see if I can be allowed to fly in a school gymnasium in my area where ceilings are higher than 2.5 meters.

Indoor flight must be non-GPS. Even though sufficient satellites may be obtained the signals are reflected, refracted, and attenuated to a point that reliable positioning is unattainable, hence the drift that you refer to in your OP. GPS must be off and height is measured by the IRS and movement detected by the Flow sensor. The Flow sensor needs adequate lighting and a surface that has discernible texture.

As to your connection troubles I will refer you to these threads Is my phone, tablet, or pad compatible with the Breeze? and Help for Breeze WiFi and Firmware Issues. There are a couple of links in the second thread that have valuable information in them. Be sure to reference that information.

I'm lookin forward to your findings. I tested it both indoor and outdoor with and without GPS. Even without GPS it went higher outdoors. No idea how it sensed that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwclarc1