Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is my battery dead?

Reaction score
My most recent H battery (genuine Yuneec) worked fine yesterday, but when I put it in the charger in the evening all sorts of strange readings are produced, quickly followed by the error message (pics attached).
I store batteries at 50% and in room temperature conditions, and nothing untoward happened yesterday.
I'm assuming the battery is a dud and needs to be thrown, but I just thought I'd ask first.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200120_090843.jpg
    20200120_090843.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • 20200120_090846.jpg
    20200120_090846.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
Try both ports on the charger and give it a wiggle, also inspect your battery and charger terminals for any oxidation or wear,. Clean if anything looks dirty, I have two of that charger and one port has gone pot, always gives that warning, put in the other port all OK, the voltages displayed are up the creek, if it doesn't work, they can be a pain, charger with leads is a better option for the future.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Try both ports on the charger and give it a wiggle, also inspect your battery and charger terminals for any oxidation or wear,. Clean if anything looks dirty, I have two of that charger and one port has gone pot, always gives that warning, put in the other port all OK, the voltages displayed are up the creek, if it doesn't work, they can be a pain, charger with leads is a better option for the future.
Thanks. Yes, I've wiggled and swapped - both ports do the same, but are fine with the other batteries. It's a pretty new battery so the terminals all look good. I wonder what a quick burst on the Yuneec charger might do?....Always worried about fire risk with these lipos.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
I second @Mrgs1 on the charger being the likely issue. If you have a multimeter you can check the voltages yourself. This post will show you how to measure the voltages. H plus charger only balance

Reactions: brianpk
Thanks. Yes, I've wiggled and swapped - both ports do the same, but are fine with the other batteries. It's a pretty new battery so the terminals all look good. I wonder what a quick burst on the Yuneec charger might do?....Always worried about fire risk with these lipos.
Just read your reply. If you have a multimeter read the voltages for each cell and report them here.

The battery seems fine. Try seating it in the charger a little more firmly since you say the other batteries are fine in the charger. You can always use the OEM charger to do a full charge. The battery is at storage level right now with the voltages you measured.

Reactions: Steve Carr
The battery seems fine. Try seating it in the charger a little more firmly since you say the other batteries are fine in the charger. You can always use the OEM charger to do a full charge. The battery is at storage level right now with the voltages you measured.
Thanks so much for that. You've just saved me the best part of £100. This forum really is a great resource of knowledge.

So glad it helped. We value our members across the pond and elsewhere. Together we all make this community a great one!

Just an FYI, it is not possible for one of the cells to have a voltage level of 6+ volts. If you see that you have a clear indication of a charger fault.

This looks like a contact problem with the balancer wires/contacts.
I have had the same problem with an adapter cable, showing exorbitant voltage. One of the balancer pins did not have proper contact to the contact plate at the battery.

br HE

There was a DY3 a few weeks ago giving strange readings, maybe a reflection on their quality.

This looks like a contact problem with the balancer wires/contacts.
I have had the same problem with an adapter cable, showing exorbitant voltage. One of the balancer pins did not have proper contact to the contact plate at the battery.

br HE
Genuine Yuneec one or one of the other 3rd party makes? Some of them can be a bit dodgy.

My DY3 did this over the summer when my batteries were sitting for several months at storage voltage. I have the Typhoon battery cable so I was able to use another Smart Charger to bring up the two cells causing an issue. It seems the DY3 is really sensitive if the voltage in one or more cells falls below some minimum threshold, it then throws the error you're seeing and refuses to charge. If you don't have the cable or another Smart Charger, try giving the batteries some charge for 5-10 minutes on the Yuneec charger, then retry the DY3.

I’ve been following the various battery and charger threads for a couple years and the DY3 charger is the one most often mentioned as causing problems.

My DY3 did this over the summer when my batteries were sitting for several months at storage voltage. I have the Typhoon battery cable so I was able to use another Smart Charger to bring up the two cells causing an issue. It seems the DY3 is really sensitive if the voltage in one or more cells falls below some minimum threshold, it then throws the error you're seeing and refuses to charge. If you don't have the cable or another Smart Charger, try giving the batteries some charge for 5-10 minutes on the Yuneec charger, then retry the DY3.
Thanks I'll try that.

The battery is a Yuneec, and only a few months old.
I was referring to the charging leads. The DY3 is notorious for giving some people grief, I've got two, and one port just gives a warning Now.

I've used my DY3 for a couple of years. When it gives strange readings, I just wiggle the battery or completely reseat it and everything is fine again.

Reactions: Rickster

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dharminder