Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Microphone

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just trying to find out if anyone has attempted to connect a microphone to the ST16? I plan on filming at a drag strip and was trying to explore my options for audio.

I don't think there is a way to do that. I believe you need to use a separate device. The ST16 is designed primarily to control the aircraft.

You cannot record any working audio with the H. In your case, you might here car sounds mixed in with the motor/rotor noise. I typically turn on the mic as I like to check motor rev sounds post flight and the only outside audio I've heard was some fire trucks going by and even that was not really audible.

The ST16 already has a built-in microphone, and it works.
Fire up the audio recorder app, and you'll notice that there is a mic in there somewhere.
As such, if it's got the internal mic, it would be rather elementary to rig up a jack to take that to an external mic connector.
That being said, I never noticed whether or not one could start the audio recorder, then go to the flight control app and have the audio recorder continue to work in the background.

I did a shoot a few years back at a drag strip where a friend was making runs. I took my primary video camera and several action cameras (GoPro) and a separate audio recorder (Zoon). I had permission from the track to place my devices pretty much any where. I put one GoPro on the light tree and another at the top of the grandstand on a pole as High as I could get it away from any observers and the others were placed on the bikes making runs at various positions. I placed my Zoon down on a tripod next to me where I was shooting, just outside the wall right at the starting point. I figured the Zoon would be my primary audio track and I would use the other sound sources as fill or secondary. In the end the best sound was the GoPro furthest away on the top of the stands. It got a good mix all the sounds, the crowd, the cars and bikes in the pits and when the races were running, they came over all those other sounds and it made the video work the best.

Also, keep in mind that having the audio recording on board a camera makes it easy to align AV in post and you can have two cameras to cut back and forth to give your video extra depth.

Just verified... as soon as the flight controller app loads, recording stops with the built-in audio recorder.

Just verified... as soon as the flight controller app loads, recording stops with the built-in audio recorder.
Allowing the built-in audio recorder to function while flying would be a nice (and cheap) addition to the ST16. I'll send that idea to Yuneec.

Reactions: kd4pbs
I managed to get mine working while in flight. Turn on the H, turn off the transmitters wireless. Reconnect to the camera with a phone and the camera app, turn on the mic. Disconnect the phone from the camera and reconnect the transmitter. (at least that's what I think I did lol) Not sure if I just go lucky or what - haven't tried it again yet. Yes, nice to hear the motors for any anomalies.

Last edited:
Looks like all you did there was to turn on the mic in the camera for recording, not the mic in the ST16. It's easy to record audio on the camera; there's an "Audio Switch" setting in the camera settings to turn on to record audio from the camera. It isn't "sticky" - next time you power down the camera, it will default to off.

Reactions: Dr Delta

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers