Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New drone user. Come help me out?

I did a shoot for a farmer in December last year of his Belted Galloway cows on a bleak moor in North Yorkshire, U.K

Funny you would pick those cows to video, here is a picture taken yesterday of some Belted Galloway cows (not pure breds any more) in my pasture in the rolling bluffs of the Mississippi River Valley in the US... I am on the Minnesota (west) side of the river... the very upper left of this picture (about 3 miles away) is Wisconsin with the river being right alongside the Wisconsin bluffs...

Attachments

• YUN00102.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 42
Reactions: NorWiscPilot
, and every 5 or 6 flights I'd lower it a bit.. now I can fly over them at 100, and they just kinda acknowledge it, it doesn't get them on the move.. ..l

I will start higher to get them a bit more used to the H.... thanks for the tip. BTW, mine do not get bread/snacks just lots of pasture grass or corn if they break through a fence :)

Did you not see the video? I'm pretty comfortable flying.
You asked for advice and you are getting it from some of the most experienced H pilots out there, so yes practicing your flying skills is important...especially when all of the assist technology on the bird acts up or fails. Practicing helps develop your reflexes and you will be better able to handle emergencies...now fly safely young Padoan !

Funny you would pick those cows to video, here is a picture taken yesterday of some Belted Galloway cows (not pure breds any more) in my pasture in the rolling bluffs of the Mississippi River Valley in the US... I am on the Minnesota (west) side of the river... the very upper left of this picture (about 3 miles away) is Wisconsin with the river being right alongside the Wisconsin bluffs...
Nice Picture that. Thanks for sharing.
The farmer that I did the shoot for was very proud of his herd and was prepared to pay for a sUAS flight over them...probably to show off the images to his mates.
Unfortunately, on the day, it was particularly bleak on the moors and since it was at a place some distance away from where I live I only had the one opportunity to do the job...it just so happened that the chosen day was murky.

The farmer was desperate to have the shoot done anyway even though I explained that any footage or pictures I took were unlikely to be very good given the poor visibility. As it turned out, though, I felt I was upsetting his cows so I knocked it off after only a few minutes and waved my charges even though he was prepared to pay. The day wasn't lost, though, since I had another job on a few miles away doing a shoot around a guest house (bed & Breakfast place).

I'm not well up on cow breads but, as I understand it - I could be wrong, I believe that this farmers cows are pure.

I did a shoot for a farmer in December last year of his Belted Galloway cows on a bleak moor in North Yorkshire, U.K.
I was a bit apprehensive about it because he wanted some low-level shots. I finally agreed to do the shoot but in the end I curtailed the shoot because I felt I was distressing the cows. If asked to do a similar shoot again I think I may decline it.
Here is a vid from the shoot. You can see how bleak the moor is. Video is a bit 'stuttery' but shows what I mean.
I used to fly my RC heli on some common ground where some cows were grazing. I tried to stay away from them, but invariably I'd turn round and they were right behind me - they're inquisitive animals but very nervous.

I live in rural Texas. I have flown my drone over horses at the owners suggestion, (Not an H, Just the 500 4K) The horses accepted it just fine, didn't seem to bother them at all even when I lowered to about 25 feet. Thought I was recording, but in my excitement, when I hit the record button, I turned the recorder off! I was clear LOS so I wasn't looking at the screen so much, just to check that the animals were in the frame, never even noticed the record indicator was not on. (DUH!)

So my suggestion is work on your multitasking, nothing like thinking your getting footage when you are not, and sometimes opportunities are rare and the "perfect shot" is a fleeting moment in time which can rarely be captured again... (unless you are working on a movie set and get another "take.")

Documenting real life/situations you usually only get one opportunity. Your practice in getting good skills and habits will go a long way to making you a great aerial videographer. Ever notice how the pros make it look so "easy." Its because the practice, practice, practice. So, fly every chance you get. Critique your work as if you were looking at someone else's and determine how you can improve the footage. Compete with yourself, and find your own style. Sure, look at other's videos for inspiration, you may find a mentor, but when the day is done, you are you, and your own style will develop. The key is to get so good, they can't ignore you. Different is OK Uniqueness will set you apart so long as there is a demand or following. You can't please all of the people so take critiques in stride, (don't argue or justify your reasoning or rationale because that person doesn't "get it" because you won't change their mind. But recognize that there are different points of view or limitations which prevented you from getting the exact footage you wanted. Consider the critique, and how you can convey your story, your way, and address the critic's point. Some critics can never be made happy, so don't let them hurt your feelings or slow you down. Keep after it...
You will come to understand that if you are being commissioned for some work, you will want to give the client/customer what they want. But if you are shooting for you, you can do whatever you want. It doesn't matter if you are a doctor, lawyer, singer, songwriter, author, plumber, or even a football player, if you are good/great at what you do, you will always be in demand. Your challenge is to seek CONSTANT improvement and never be CONTENT with where you are, ALWAYS seek to get better, and follow YOUR goals.

Sad to say it appears that the thread starter may have gotten more help than he needed since he is no longer responding. He's obviously a sharp guy so I hate to see him bug out.

The cow videos would look great copied over into the Photo/Video section. Our cows and horses pay little attention to the TH unless it comes closer than 15 or 20 feet, and they don't panic even then.

Reactions: Bartcephus
Some of my best shots were only seen by me at the time on the screen. "Always hit record Kyle" sticks in my head from now on.
Yes sir... I now hit record at the start of the flight and don't touch the button again unless I need a "photo." I can always edit out, but can't add footage I never shot. It was so very embarrassing to admit I didn't have the footage...

Reactions: Bullhorn1976
The H camera is not the best drone camera but you can make the videos quite exceptional if you'll learn how to use some good video editing software.

Don't video into the sun unless you really do want an explosion in the sky. Even good video editing sofware is not going to help mute the explosion.

If I had to guess, I'd say you did your video with the landing gear down. Put them up and the H will be more stable, resulting in no propellers in the video.

If you did have the landing gear up, then go closer to the turtle mode so that the motion isn't so sudden and thus does not force the propellers into view.

Lowering your focus to 2/3 ground and 1/3 sky will also help keep the propellers out of view.

Something interesting that I have noticed is dogs! If I am flying and a dog walker comes by, dog usually has a good look for what is buzzing, followed by a short barking session followed by a bee line to me to sit and watch!

So, HOW THE **** does the dog know I am flying it???????

The Typhoon H is my first drone. My dad helped me pay for it so I can use it to look how is crops are doing in his fields. I also want to get into some cinematography like filming weddings and doing promotional videos for companies. Is there anything I can do to make my experience better? Mine came with an ST16 and the "Wizard Magic Wand". I just got it last week.

Also this was the first video I made with it:
Any tips or advice I can use to improve?
I put together this playlist of youtube videos for creating better vids with drones: Photography, Videography, and Film Making - YouTube

Something interesting that I have noticed is dogs! If I am flying and a dog walker comes by, dog usually has a good look for what is buzzing, followed by a short barking session followed by a bee line to me to sit and watch!

So, HOW THE **** does the dog know I am flying it???????
Dogs can sense things that we stupid humans can only dream of sensing. Maybe your heart rate is elevated and you have a bit of heightened Adrenalin while flying and the dog is picking up on that? I dunno, just a guess.

I am also a new user. Don’t do any gaming/simulators. I bought the Typhoon H the $1899 version with the intel realsense (or formerly $1899). I have the wand for the following and other features along with the venom 4 battery charger and 4 extra venom batteries. So I think I am set equipment wise.
Problem is putting all that money in the air freaks me out after “Youtubbing” tutorials. Recommending upgrading software, fly always, the controller is the size of the larger iPad.
Is there a YouTube channel to follow that someone has found to be good for beginners? Dependable and easy to understand for a beginner with very limited knowledge.

I am also a new user. Don’t do any gaming/simulators. I bought the Typhoon H the $1899 version with the intel realsense (or formerly $1899). I have the wand for the following and other features along with the venom 4 battery charger and 4 extra venom batteries. So I think I am set equipment wise.
Problem is putting all that money in the air freaks me out after “Youtubbing” tutorials. Recommending upgrading software, fly always, the controller is the size of the larger iPad.
Is there a YouTube channel to follow that someone has found to be good for beginners? Dependable and easy to understand for a beginner with very limited knowledge.

You may want to watch the YouTube video's from Captain Drone on the subject.

Welcome, fly safe!

Martinron,
You might look for some RC Flying Clubs in your area. Many of those fine folks are great tutors/teachers of flying expensive investments. If you can't do that, then I certainly recommend that you go to a large clear area to practice, practice, practice, practice. Start slow and be consistent. You will eventually get to a point where your moves are reflexive rather than consciously thought out and then applied. Your confidence will improve with your flying skills. In the beginning always stay clear of obstacles and when you make your moves, turns, etc. make them smooth and deliberate. Imagine there is a tree or some other obstacle and how you would react to it. Practice take-offs and landings. Go out on days with a light breeze as you get better and again, practice, practice, practice. Take-offs and landings are a little more difficult with breezes. Eventually move toward rabbit from turtle in bits as you improve. Try the different controllers, the wizard and ST16. Do some follow me mode stuff where you walk in the middle of your open pasture. Enable the RealSense and see how that changes the flying characteristics. Does it fly slower even in rabbit speed? How does it change flying closer to the ground? There is an old saying from remote control operators. "There are two kinds of remote control aircraft: Those that have crashed and those that are going to crash." The only way you are going to learn or improve is to take that step and do it.

Good Luck

The Typhoon H is my first drone. My dad helped me pay for it so I can use it to look how is crops are doing in his fields. I also want to get into some cinematography like filming weddings and doing promotional videos for companies. Is there anything I can do to make my experience better? Mine came with an ST16 and the "Wizard Magic Wand". I just got it last week.

Tyfighter jeff sebilius on you tube does some very good videos for begginers,check it out it helped me

Great! Looks like you are doing fine [emoji41]Ken

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my