Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New TH480 - firmware not quite up to date

rdonson

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I took advantage of a sale by B&H and got a new TH480 in 2 days. Needless to say, I've been busy with the holidays and today was the first chance to look at it since it arrived 8 days ago.

I've checked out the bird and performed calibrations on gimbal, compass and accelerometer and everything looks good. But.... before I lift off into the air I'd like to find out from the experienced pilots if I should update to the latest firmware first.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.....

Here's where I stand.

Latest firmware from Yuneec:

Drone Firmware

Typhoon H STD v3.04

Gimbal: v1.25,
Autopilot v 1.35
Camera: v.3.2.34 (A)

Controller Firmware

ST16 Controller STD v.3.01.b30

==============================================
==============================================

New machine came with (as read from the ST16):

Typhoon H Firmware

Gimbal: v1.25,
Autopilot v 1.3
Camera: v.3.2.26 (A)

Controller Firmware

ST16
System Version: st16_system_v03.01.b27
Transmitter Version: st16_tx_v.00.24
Radio Version: st16_rf_v01.10

For those interested, the differences between this machine and the one I got in February are:
- external antennas on the Typhoon H body
- newest landing gear legs
- sunshade has much improved pegs for staying in place on the ST16
- came with the newer 5.4 GB "patch" antenna in addition to the old one

Ron

Last edited:
My advice would be to fly before doing any updates; it was tested and flown just as it sits and will fly so again without any changes as long as its calibrated, and you've done those procedures. Just make sure all your pre flight checks are done before the first flight. I am not sure if your firmware is the latest (probably is) but; it is later than mine and I started flying back in March and have never updated, and don't intend to unless something in a subsequent firmware is a defiant improvement.

Reactions: rdonson
My advice would be to fly before doing any updates; it was tested and flown just as it sits and will fly so again without any changes as long as its calibrated, and you've done those procedures. Just make sure all your pre flight checks are done before the first flight. I am not sure if your firmware is the latest (probably is) but; it is later than mine and I started flying back in March and have never updated, and don't intend to unless something in a subsequent firmware is a defiant improvement.

Thanks, Pat. When I updated the firmware in my original TH480 it was a bear. It took me over a month and a new release before it worked properly. Nothing like having a brick instead of a drone.

Ron

Last edited:
I have had since March the st16_ system_v03.01.b30
which I have had no issues

Thanks. I'm a bit gun shy about Yuneec firmware updates. I had issues with firmware in my other TH480 that I got last February/March. It took me a month and a new release before it went from brick to drone. I haven't had any issues since with that other than pilot errors. :rolleyes:

Ron

The b27 firmware was stable and all the whistles and bells that's in b30. It did have a 400' altitude limit built into it that would not change until the release of the b30 firmware. b30 allowed increasing the altitude limit, "de-tuned" control response a small amount, and changed the launch speed.

The b27 firmware was stable but has a 400' altitude cap in it you can't increase until loading the b30 firmware. Aside from that b27 has all the function features of b30. Unless you want to fly higher than 400' there's not much reason to update to b30.

Thanks, Pat. I doubt I’ll ever go to 400’. I’ve done it and it’s rarely an advantage for me except in the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I do plan on changing the rate sliders for Aileron and Elevator per TyPilot’s recommendations. That has worked well for me in smoothing things out.

Ron

Last edited:
I'd certainly check the differences in Camera firmware.

Funny it seems you got an 'old' model in february, I bought mine (in Europe) in february that already had the ST-16 with improved shade, both antennae and the square 5,4 as well as the legs and stuff on the H.

Did all updates (that worked instantly) and never had any issue whatsoever. Did latest updates by OTA (wifi).

I got the mid Typhoon package from B&H 3 weeks ago and it came with the same version as yours. I did the update before the test flight. The update was done wirelessly and except for not knowing to hit the Back button to complete the update it went smooth. I am waiting for the RealSense package to be shipped from Yuneec. I wonder if it will have the newest Firmware.

I'd certainly check the differences in Camera firmware.

Funny it seems you got an 'old' model in february, I bought mine (in Europe) in february that already had the ST-16 with improved shade, both antennae and the square 5,4 as well as the legs and stuff on the H.

Did all updates (that worked instantly) and never had any issue whatsoever. Did latest updates by OTA (wifi).

Thanks, Dr Delta. I may fly today with the firmware it has. It’s only going to be 31F today so I may spend time updating the firmware instead of flying. I moved south almost 30 years ago to escape this kind of weather. ;)

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks, Pat. I doubt I’ll ever go to 400’. I’ve done it and it’s rarely an advantage for me except in the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I do plan on changing the rate sliders for Aileron and Elevator per TyPilot’s recommendations. That has worked well for me in smoothing things out.
My aircraft is still on the firmware that limits it to 400'. Apart from some minor changes, being able to change that 400' limit is one of the only main differences on the latest version. If, like me, you are happy with the 400; limit then stick with the firmware it has.

My aircraft is still on the firmware that limits it to 400'. Apart from some minor changes, being able to change that 400' limit is one of the only main differences on the latest version. If, like me, you are happy with the 400; limit then stick with the firmware it has.

Thanks, FV. As long as I can make the same broken curves adjustments that I did to my other H I'll be happy with this firmware. I do need to also check out the camera functions to insure those as well. They looked fine when I was doing the calibrations with the ability to go into manual settings for ISO, FPS, EV, etc.

Ron

I got a RS version on sale from Vertigo Dronz. It’s got the latest firmware and is more up to date then my other three. I have looked at firmware updates since last March. I figured I’d learn what if anything is improved first with the new one and then update the others if needed.

Thanks, Craig.

My other TH480 has RS and the latest firmware. It's been too cold to fly and yesterday I got bored and updated the firmware for the ST16 and drone to the latest then calibrated the accelerometer, gimbal and compass. Yes, I did the compass outside in a suitable location (cul-de-sac) in the street in front of my house. I would have waited the full 15 min for the GPS to get all the data it wanted but I'm not a fan of freezing so I bagged that at about 10 min.

I thought it would drive me crazy (not a long trip) if the two birds weren't set up the same. Today I'll be adjusting the broken curve settings for the aileron and elevator to match my other TH480.

Currently 14F here in sunny NC.

Ron

Weirdly I had one of my ST 16s loose my settings and need to do the same curve fixes. I lost my second switch position higher angle up gimbal setting. If you don’t know that one I’ll post the curves and some screen shots. 79 here today so winter is my prime time.

Craig, I’d appreciate it if you shared your curve settings. These are the things that accomplished, experienced pilots figure out and I’m happy to follow the footsteps.

I got my aileron and elevator settings from a video that TyPilot (Pat) shared. Smoothed things out for me nicely.

Got my H in December ( new ) and my Gimbal version is 1:27 The System Version is v03.01.b30
Camera is Version v3.2.34(A) C-GO3-PRO Flies great!

Got my H in December ( new ) and my Gimbal version is 1:27 The System Version is v03.01.b30
Camera is Version v3.2.34(A) C-GO3-PRO Flies great!

That's very interesting. Its newer than what Yuneec US has on their website for download.

Shopping

P.S. not sure why this site is calling links "Shopping".

Ron

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
costimarcos