Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Yuneec Typhoon H lights - by DLA WORKS

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I want to introduce you our new lights schem for the Yuneec Typhoon H. This is not a commercial product (maybe could be) as the modification of the RPA (drone) is not as simple as a "plug & play" device. It requires expert skills about electronics and the official warranty will be avoided, but... Due to the requirements of official bureaus for civil aviation (FAA, AESA, CASA,...) we needed to increase the visibility of the aircraft for satisfy the law, so after a complete study of the hardware, here we have the result (please comment):

Regards from Spain,
Dario.

DLA WORKS - Take Yuneec to the next level.

Yeh, cool.... But I wonder what that will do to your video... especially in low light.
Shut it off, I presume.

Cheers

Hello everyone,

I want to introduce you our new lights schem for the Yuneec Typhoon H. This is not a commercial product (maybe could be) as the modification of the RPA (drone) is not as simple as a "plug & play" device. It requires expert skills about electronics and the official warranty will be avoided, but... Due to the requirements of official bureaus for civil aviation (FAA, AESA, CASA,...) we needed to increase the visibility of the aircraft for satisfy the law, so after a complete study of the hardware, here we have the result (please comment):

Regards from Spain,
Dario.

Is this LED or a xenon strobe? I would be interested in buying a system or maybe the schematics and the parts listing. I might even be able to produce these for you in the U.S. market. I have over 50 years experience in electronics.

Reactions: lsn618
Anyone that plans on buying a position light should assure it will be clearly visible at a distance of 3 miles in darkness before purchasing.

My guess is the location of the strobe depicted in this thread would have minimal impact on the camera unless the camera was being aimed in the direction of the light mounting. For those so inclined, mounting a fixture that placed a strobe directly aft and above the fuselage might completely eliminate light interference with the imagery. It would not be difficult to accomplish.

Reactions: lsn618
Anyone that plans on buying a position light should assure it will be clearly visible at a distance of 3 miles in darkness before purchasing.

My guess is the location of the strobe depicted in this thread would have minimal impact on the camera unless the camera was being aimed in the direction of the light mounting. For those so inclined, mounting a fixture that placed a strobe directly aft and above the fuselage might completely eliminate light interference with the imagery. It would not be difficult to accomplish.
I was thinking if it was installed on back of the battery it would not interfere with the camera.

But it would not be visible at distance from in front of the aircraft. A position light should be a 360* device. They are not intended to help the operator, although they do in this type of operation, but for other aircraft to see and locate.

I have a red and green one on my H on the bottom of the front motor pods right behind the motors and a white one on the top right ahead of the GPS dome and I can see them in the daylight when the drone is ready to be out of line of sight. they work great and are really bright at night.

But it would not be visible at distance from in front of the aircraft. A position light should be a 360* device. They are not intended to help the operator, although they do in this type of operation, but for other aircraft to see and locate.
The one in the video would not be visible for 360*. It would be easily obscured by the body of the "H" and from above by the motor pod. So I guess we would have to mount one on top and another on the bottom below plane of the camera?

It would be very hard to spy on someone with a strobe attached. If the FAA required a strobe on all UAVs, they could increase airspace safety and mitigate privacy concerns. Any thoughts?

It would be very hard to spy on someone with a strobe attached. If the FAA required a strobe on all UAVs, they could increase airspace safety and mitigate privacy concerns. Any thoughts?
Given the standard lens on the H (and most other consumer drones for that matter), it would be hard to spy on someone anyway. However, with the evolution of better lenses, zoom capabilities with better gimbals, etc, it could be that privacy concerns may, at some point in the future, be more justified. Anything, then, that may mitigate those future concerns is worth considering.

I agree about the improbability of spying with the CGO3+ camera. I am more concerned about the public perception that our aerial cameras can spy on them. For example, I was shooting video over a beautiful small town in the Cascades when a B&B owner came out to tell me he didn't want his guests to think their privacy was in jeopardy. When I showed him the ST16 display, his concerns seemed to evaporate. To the uninitiated public, our drones represent a threat to privacy. The strobe lights might help to alleviate concerns without adding more restrictive regulations.

If a strobe light were placed on the outside edge of the right and left side motor pods, I think they may not interfere with video yet be visible from all directions. 360 gimbal pans might be effected but they tend to be a bit boring anyway.

The strobe lights might also increase the range of VLOS!

Reactions: FlushVision
I say "Lightem up boyz" last thing I want is a collision with a tree or medical helicopters frequent my area. I even use reflective tape as a backup. I will likely stay in my own yard at night....good flying to all! Rob

i would rather have a strobe slightly above the body of the air craft . i am looking at putting two lights up front on the landing gear so I can tell a little better when the H is pointed at me.

Reactions: streetdoctor
Hello everyone,

Regards from Spain,
Dario.

Dario, why do it that complicated? You drain the H battery and ruin the warranty....I use two very strong USB charged, LED's , lits 40min, for 3$ea, mounted with velcro.
Works perfect and you can put them in any direction(s) you want. BTW the Swedish Aviation law, when you fly a drone (private or business under 7kg) in darkness, only says you have to have "light" on you drone. :D

_2BE6782_72.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NorWiscPilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal