Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

Newbie Crash

Discussion in 'Q500+ Discussion' started by ocdrone, Mar 24, 2016.

1. ocdrone

So I got a new Q500+ and, of course, crashed it on the 3rd time out. Bad crash into a tree (and then the ground). Busted all 4 rotors and 1 landing strut and cracked the main undercarriage. When you start up the bird now it plays a little tune and flashes red-red-red. Yuneec says it sounds like I toasted the motherboard.

Anyway, the camera still works fine. I have all batteries and ground controller. Just need to buy a new copter, but can't find that one item for sale by itself anywhere. If I have to go out and buy a whole new package for $699, it looks like I can sell off all the extra parts on eBay and get a new copter essentially for free, but that's kind of a pain.

Anyone know where I can buy JUST the quadcopter replacement and how much?

Thanks!

2. Big Anthony

I would suggest you hook it up to the GUI and test it to see exactly what is damaged. I had almost the same exact accident you described and although it looked grim, everything was fine just the frame and the camera housing and for about $100 I got it back brand new and there was even a battery in it when they returned it so I feel like I got it fixed for free. When I first looked at it there were several pieces broken off including the camera/gimbal. I thought I would be buying a new bird but no. Check out what the GUI says and go from there.

3. ocdrone

Thanks for the reply!

Didn't even know you could do that but that sounds really helpful. I think that one of those mystery cables that came with the package is what I need to do this. :)

4. h-elsner

If it beeps then the processor on the main board is still working. SW detects somthing is wrong and decide to play the error code. Maybe a cable connection to the ESCs is broken. I do not believe that mainboad is dead.
    GUI connection and check is a good idea. It is the white USB cable YUNA100. It shall replace the receiver cable on the right side from back near the battery.

br HE

5. Robb

I think you can get a replacement body from Amain Hobby 800 - 705-2215

6. ocdrone

So you sent it in to Yuneec for repairs?

7. X6_Gorm

Any luck with this? If not I'd be interested in buying one of your batteries.... :)

8. ocdrone

I checked Amain Hobby but they only sell a replacement airframe. At the moment I don't have the time or skill to rebuild the drone from scratch. So I bought another package on Amazon and sold off the batteries, steadygrip and controller on ebay and am now out only about $250 and I now have 2 cameras, 1 new copter and 1 copter that I can try to rebuild or send to Yuneec for repair. And now I will STAY AWAY FROM TREES AND BUILDINGS. LOL

9. X6_Gorm

Hahaha yeah trees generally mean death to low flying man-made objects. Did you look on Carolina Dronz? I get many Yunnec products from them. They do have a great customer service.

10. X6_Gorm

Hahaha yeah trees generally mean death to low flying man-made objects. Did you look on Carolina Dronz? I get many Yunnec products from them. They do have a great customer service.

11. ocdrone

Just looked at Carolina Dronz and they have a basic replacement copter with no battery and no gimbal for $400, so I guess it was worth the hassle to buy another package and sell off the extra parts.

If I can keep my current bird flying OK for the next 6 months I may sell it all off and get the Typhoon H (after a few people have had a chance to test it out and work out all the bugs) I'm already drooling over that one. Amazing that it comes in cheaper than the new DJI 4 !

12. Big Anthony

Yes I sent it to Yuneec. The trouble was they are only in Ca. and I am in NYC so shipping took a week and cost $60 but i was happy with how it worked out and it's like new with an extra used battery.

13. julyuse

Hey Big Anthony, how long did the repair take place on yours? I sent mine for repair after it crashed when one of the propeller snapped off. I got an email from Yuneec with a case number a week ago and I'm just curious on what is the typical turnaround and what others had experienced.

14. CHARLES FISHER

Call Carolina Drones. You'd be surprised that it may not cost you as much as you think. They do service work and from what I hear they are very good and affordable.