Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Orlando Wants to Limit Your Drone Rights

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The Orlando City Council and Mayor Buddy Dyer want to make it tough for drone enthusiasts to be able to fly their drones in the city. The policy – if passed – would require drone users to get special permits, extra insurance and limit where drones can fly. Even more outrageous: breaking the rule empowers Orlando police officers to issue fines up to $400, make arrests and seize your drone as contraband.

The Orlando city government doesn’t have the authority to regulate national airspace – that’s the FAA’s role. Furthermore, the FAA already prohibits drones from flying over schools, stadiums and other public spaces and has a process in place for dealing with violations.

Creating confusing, tech-specific laws penalize early adopters and make it difficult for drone users to follow the rules. Join us in urging the Orlando City Council and Mayor Dyer to stop this bad drone policy.

SOURCE: CTA - Drones Policy

In Canada, the rules are even more restrictive. You cannot fly over any built up areas. A Built up area can include anywhere there is a single house. Town, cities, parks,... all no fly zones. I have to drive a half hour from town to reach an area I can fly. Also, you cannot fly over someones field without permission. That is trespassing. No provincial, or national parks allowed. If someone has a grazing lease, you still have to contact them and arrange permission.

The Orlando City Council and Mayor Buddy Dyer want to make it tough for drone enthusiasts to be able to fly their drones in the city. The policy – if passed – would require drone users to get special permits, extra insurance and limit where drones can fly. Even more outrageous: breaking the rule empowers Orlando police officers to issue fines up to $400, make arrests and seize your drone as contraband.

The Orlando city government doesn’t have the authority to regulate national airspace – that’s the FAA’s role. Furthermore, the FAA already prohibits drones from flying over schools, stadiums and other public spaces and has a process in place for dealing with violations.

Creating confusing, tech-specific laws penalize early adopters and make it difficult for drone users to follow the rules. Join us in urging the Orlando City Council and Mayor Dyer to stop this bad drone policy.

SOURCE: CTA - Drones Policy
Im in Orlando, well Kissimmee. Have they made a final decision & do we have any input atvall?

It's a done deal... hobbyist lost. If you want to fly in certain areas you will pay

I'm outside of Orlando and have tried to find a reliable map of the city limits and can't find such a map. The maps I can find are all different and the demarcation lines on the south and west sides of Orlando vary considerably. Is there a city limits map that one can rely on for flights outside Orlando? I have a friend that is OPD, and he isn't even up to speed on the ruling in its entirety.

I'm outside of Orlando and have tried to find a reliable map of the city limits and can't find such a map. The maps I can find are all different and the demarcation lines on the south and west sides of Orlando vary considerably. Is there a city limits map that one can rely on for flights outside Orlando? I have a friend that is OPD, and he isn't even up to speed on the ruling in its entirety.
Just a thought. Do you know which ordinance map Orlando's authorities are using? If you use that map and they say you are flying within their city limits when 'their' map shows that you are not, then you would have a good argument against them.

Good point, I do not know which map they are using and can't seem to find one - will keep looking. It seems this ruling like so many others in regards to UAV's was thrown together hastily.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval