Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Proper gimbal handling question

Reaction score
I saw a discussion a while back about breaking your gimbal by picking up the H and turning it over without the camera cover in place.

What care should be taken to keep the gimbal in good shape on my H when installing filters and dealing with the SD card? I've been doing it with the drone turned off, leaning on its side for easy access to the gimbal, and then rotating the cam by hand for easy access. I try to be as gentle as possible. Is this correct or am I adding wear and tear?

I saw a discussion a while back about breaking your gimbal by picking up the H and turning it over without the camera cover in place.

What care should be taken to keep the gimbal in good shape on my H when installing filters and dealing with the SD card? I've been doing it with the drone turned off, leaning on its side for easy access to the gimbal, and then rotating the cam by hand for easy access. I try to be as gentle as possible. Is this correct or am I adding wear and tear?
When the H is not powered up and not prepped for flight the gimbal cover should be in place and only removed as part of you pre-flight procedures and certainly before you switch on the H...when an intended flight is imminent. Some members will advise not to turn the aircraft over while the cover is off and the H switched on, for example while doing a compass calibration, because of the stresses that can be put onto the gimbal motors. They will advise to remove the camera/gimbal while you do the calibration. I will not dispute this.

My advice is to put filters on only when the H is not powered up. To put filters on you must have the camera cover off. Inserting or removing the SD card can be done while the camera cover is in place and this is what I do.

As long as you are mounting the filters with the H powered down and inserting/removing the SD card with the camera guard on (and, of course, the H powered down), then what you are doing is good.

Regarding doing a compass calibration while the camera/gimbal is still attached is down to a personal choice and what effect the camera/gimbal being present you will believe will have on the compass. Does the camera being present or not have any influence on the quality of the calibration? Some would argue that a better calibration is more likely with the camera being attached since the camera/gimbal is going to be present during the flight. I don't feel qualified to give advice either way.

That all sounds solid. I've been doing it correctly, eh, pretty much. Now I know how to preserve the life of the gimbal, or at least err on the side of caution with the compass cal. advice.

Flushvision, thanks for being so concise in your posts and advice. I know it is hard to write the same thing over and over but to different noobs every time. I'm an expert at something too and I get it a LOT. You are a blessing to this forum and this forum is a blessing to H owners. I can smell what you ate last night but I won't let pride stop me from being grateful.

I have an issue with my camera cover. I had sent my H off for repairs a few months ago in which my GPS had issues right out of the box. I had the cover on it when it left but it came back without one. I tried emailing the company but still have not heard back from them so I ordered one online off amazon but it does not fit. it seems too short. it says it for a CGO3 on the unit. soI am presently without one that fits.
Oddly even though I had sent my drone out for a GPS issue when it was brand new I saw a repair ticket for a new CGO3 mount. I'm wondering if someone crashed my unit while it was out.

...<snip>... I can smell what you ate last night but I won't let pride stop me from being grateful.
I'm not surprised. We had a meal out last night in an Indian restaurant for my birthday (which was actually last Friday). I spent half the night last night sat on the toilet feeling very sorry for myself:(

I turn the H upside down to do anything on the camera with the power off of course.
I have an issue with my camera cover. I had sent my H off for repairs a few months ago in which my GPS had issues right out of the box. I had the cover on it when it left but it came back without one. I tried emailing the company but still have not heard back from them so I ordered one online off amazon but it does not fit. it seems too short. it says it for a CGO3 on the unit. soI am presently without one that fits.
Oddly even though I had sent my drone out for a GPS issue when it was brand new I saw a repair ticket for a new CGO3 mount. I'm wondering if someone crashed my unit while it was out.
You need the cover for the CGO3+. It has to have the + sign. Try this one: Yuneec CGO3+ Cover Lock

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axel66