Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Pulsing video

Reaction score
I have the Typhoon H and my video playback on my computer pulses. It has done this since the first video. I am recording at 1080 since that is the best resolution of my computer screen. I am using the stock Yuneec batteries unlike the post about using a gifi battery with a Q. Anyone else have the problem? I just retuned the H to COSTCO because I can't enjoy anything about the pulsing video. Is this a single unit problem or has anyone else experienced this? I would like to know before I buy another one or should I change to another brand?

I noticed this also but actually only disturbingly when recording in 4K. The reason for this lies IMO in the exaggerated sharpness settings (camera signal post processing) resulting in excessive picture detail which causes the mp4 codec to pulsate in the GOP sequence of approx. 30 frames.
I started a thread about this some time ago. At the end of the thread there is a command line which can be put into the ST16 browser to read and set the sharpness setting of the camera. I now use "3" for 4K (it was set to "6" by default):
Firmware 3.03: CGO3+ 4k exaggerated sharpness?

I have the Typhoon H and my video playback on my computer pulses. It has done this since the first video. I am recording at 1080 since that is the best resolution of my computer screen. I am using the stock Yuneec batteries unlike the post about using a gifi battery with a Q. Anyone else have the problem? I just retuned the H to COSTCO because I can't enjoy anything about the pulsing video. Is this a single unit problem or has anyone else experienced this? I would like to know before I buy another one or should I change to another brand?
There was nothing wrong with your H or the camera. That is simply the lack of enough computer power to play higher resolution videos. You need lots of ram and a video card made for gaming to play the video.

So many fail to understand their play back equipment needs to provide play back resolution equal to the video resolution being recorded, and graphics cards that can handle the amount of data. Unfortunately they often blame the camera. If they don't have a 4k resolution on their computer screen you can pretty much bet other hardware in their system is lacking for effectively handling 4k as well.

The CGO-3 and 3+ do not pulse 4k recording.

Last edited:
I noticed this also but actually only disturbingly when recording in 4K. The reason for this lies IMO in the exaggerated sharpness settings (camera signal post processing) resulting in excessive picture detail which causes the mp4 codec to pulsate in the GOP sequence of approx. 30 frames.
I started a thread about this some time ago. At the end of the thread there is a command line which can be put into the ST16 browser to read and set the sharpness setting of the camera. I now use "3" for 4K (it was set to "6" by default):
Firmware 3.03: CGO3+ 4k exaggerated sharpness?

I'm just wondering is there some sharpness added to raw setting also? I'm getting that 1 sec pulse effect using raw too. It can be seen on high detailed areas like field/grass/leaves.

More in this thread.
"Pulsing" video

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the camera. I noticed you saying that you record at 1080p because that's the highest resolution that your screen can handle...or is supposed to handle. But what of the architecture in your computer? Can it fully support that 1080p resolution? Can it handle the bit-rate from the CG03+ or the bit-rate that you've set in your editor's render?
Your answer, my friend, does not lie in your camera, but in the machine you are playing the video on.

I'm just wondering is there some sharpness added to raw setting also? I'm getting that 1 sec pulse effect using raw too. It can be seen on high detailed areas like field/grass/leaves.More in this thread.
"Pulsing" video
Looks like we may be talking about two different things here.
By far the most common problem with video is the equipment on which it's viewed. Your video appears to be a different issue and I'm no expert on photography or video so I'll leave it to those folks to analyze.
There is a sharpness setting in the camera software which can be adjusted. Have you tried changing it to see if it affects the recording?

I'm just wondering is there some sharpness added to raw setting also? I'm getting that 1 sec pulse effect using raw too. It can be seen on high detailed areas like field/grass/leaves.

More in this thread.
"Pulsing" video

In the video in your post in the linked thread, the problem is not with the camera, but with the user's lack of understanding of photography, light, and camera settings. The pulsing depicted is the direct result of using "auto" white balance while the camera is moved though changing light conditions. As the scene lighting changes the "auto" mode is making the camera alter the image to compensate for changes in light intensity. It does this progressively. It will not matter what camera you use, what shutter speed, ISO, or video frame rate. As the photographer the problem is one you induced by failure to understand how a camera works, and how to use camera settings for the best possible image results.

Spend some time learning about photography in general, how your camera works, the camera setting options available to you, and put in some time using different modes and settings to gain effective comprehension of your system. Don't blame a camera because you don't know what you're doing. You can buy progressively expensive high end cameras and never improve your product if you don't know how to use a camera.

So many fail to understand their play back equipment needs to provide play back resolution equal to the video resolution being recorded, and graphics cards that can handle the amount of data. Unfortunately they often blame the camera. If they don't have a 4k resolution on their computer screen you can pretty much bet other hardware in their system is lacking for effectively handling 4k as well.

The CGO-3 and 3+ do not pulse 4k recording.
I agree, I had a video card that was lacking 4k support and the computer tried its best to play the videos but always would choke. I upgrade to a GTX1060 and have not had any issues since.

Month ago I bought my Yuneec Q500 4K. At start I don't even notice "video pulsing". But one day i took my drone above trees and recorded amazing material. When i came at home, i was dissapointed about video pulsing. I asumed this is sd card issue, but it wasn't. I read about DJI etc. that have same problem with compression. So, today I finally took Q500 for a ride. I've changed every option with camera, and this is my observations:

1. The worst video pulsing appers more at 4096x2160/3840x2160 and less at 2560x1440/1920x1080.
2. Image style: Gorgeous makes it even worse.
3. Manual EV setting fits best for reduce "video pulsing" also manual wb.
4. Locations with many details (trees, grass, leafs etc.) makes it more visible.
5. Use RAW or NATURAL image style settings for reduce video pulsing.

I shoot 2560x1440 25p video with manual WB (Cloudy) and manual EV (ISO100 and 1/100s) and RAW image style. Video pulsing almost eliminated - and Im happy with resoults. Of course they are different locations where it more or less visible. But it always is. Hope it helps someone.

Try playing all of those on a better computer and see what happens. Pretty hard to make use of UHD video on antiquated computers.

I'm not up in tech talk but I know that as we upgrade in cameras and video capability we have to consider the equipment we had been using to work with less advanced photo and video resolutions. Codecs change, processing requirements change, and faster, more powerful resources are necessary to make use of the more advanced video resolutions. Then we have monitor resolutions which throw another cog in the gear train. 6 months in the life of a computer and it's relevant hardware is a very long time. A year or more is like several generations.

What has been consistent in all the video play back issue threads is that people have been using older hardware, software, and not updating codecs but blaming the CGO-3 cameras or the ST-16 as being the cause of their problems. A new camera is only part of the matrix, there's many other things that become associated with the camera's delivered product that need to be in sync for effective viewing and processing. Computer hardware, software, graphics cards, codecs, image processing software, monitors, all have to be effectively compatible.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
6 months in the life of a computer and it's relevant hardware is a very long time. A year or more is like several generations.

Looks like you really not up in tech talk. Right now companies like Intel or AMD don't achives any great performance jump in circa 2 years. I bought this year Skylake i7 6700K, next gen CPU are only few percents better then mine (at this price range). The same with GPUs, new radeons is just the same performance that GTX10XX series, which was released in 2016.

Try using the latest versions of DaVinci and Capture One Pro and see how well they function. If they don’t the problem will be in the rest of what you’re using. Perhaps reading the system requirements for different processing software is a good start. If what you have is less than that, anticipate issues. Same with video play back. If you have a two year old or more computer/monitor and nothing else has changed, don’t expect to obtain the optimum results in video play back or appearance. Changing just one thing can and does impact everything. Refusing to accept that will not improve the end results. Software does not overcome deficiencies in hardware.

You mentioned price range, another very important factor. The less expensive hardware does not see the largest performance improvements, which may be required to obtain what is needed.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guardianangelstowing