Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

q500 4k constantly drifts

Reaction score
I have a q500 4k that has been acting strangely. Sometimes the drone will start to slowly turn for no reason while in flight. Then, as if it knows, it turns back to its previous heading.

I made a video describing the issue:
Throughout that entire video, the only thing I was telling the drone to do is move forward. But it turns on its own. Once or twice the drift got so bad that it did a full 360, which scared me.

It is a very intermittent problem, some flights are better than others... but the drift is always there to some extent. Perhaps the drone needs calibration? Or maybe new propellers?

Please help!

Thanks,

Daniel

I have a q500 4k that has been acting strangely. Sometimes the drone will start to slowly turn for no reason while in flight. Then, as if it knows, it turns back to its previous heading.
I made a video describing the issue:
Throughout that entire video, the only thing I was telling the drone to do is move forward. But it turns on its own. Once or twice the drift got so bad that it did a full 360, which scared me.
It is a very intermittent problem, some flights are better than others... but the drift is always there to some extent. Perhaps the drone needs calibration? Or maybe new propellers?
Please help!
Thanks,Daniel
What you are seeing is something call snap yaw. It is caused by the wind pushing against the camera which pushes the whole aircraft to the side. It is characteristic of the Q500 because of the front mounted camera. The designers moved the camera forward to keep the props out of the view. This is much more noticeable as you climb higher where the wind is stronger.

When you need to film in stronger winds more planning is required. Fly upwind backwards so the camera is facing downwind. Then do your filming when flying back. Anytime the camera is facing into the wind or crosswind you are likely to see this behavior.

Reactions: Jafo
Look here:
That's a good video, but it won't correct this issue. Snap yaw or wind yaw is a common occurrence with the Q. Lacking more information, it probably flies just fine at lower altitude in less wind.

Yep. I get that too.
The video shows snap yaw but I think he also has a drift problem he mentioned too.
Just thought it might be worth a try as others have had success with recalibrating.
Hoping for a good outcome.
:)

Alright guys, I calibrated my ST10+, Q500 compass, and Q500 accelerometer. Took it back up again, still happening. It must be the wind.

It was a fairly still day yesterday. I checked some weather statistics for my town, and it registered average wind of 7.457 mph WNW yesterday, with a few gusts up to 9mph. When one of the breezes would roll through, the drone's nose would move... I'd try to correct for it, and then the drone would spin 360 degrees and lose control for a few seconds.

I'm extremely dissatisfied with the performance. For me to have an enjoyable flying experience I'll have to wait for the extremely rare days when there is NO wind. My buddy's phantom 3 was cheaper than this, and was doing agile maneuvers in the same conditions. If this is normal behavior for this model I think I'm gonna sell it and never look back.

Thanks for the input everyone. If you have any tips that would mitigate this effect, let me know.

Last edited:
Something else is up or the winds aloft are much higher.
It shouldn't snap yaw that easy. I can almost tell you when mine is going to do it.
And it's usually to the left for mine.
Recalibrate your accelerometer on very flat surface.
Try reading your telemetry file and see if your getting any errors.
Try reloading the firmware in the Q.
Confirm the blade pitch is the same for all props although i can't imagine why they wouldn't be.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval