Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Queries about upgrading firmware on H480 and H Plus

Reaction score
Which build of firmware is proven to be stable? I also would like to upgrade an older cgo3 I have to work with a Typhoon H. The older cgo3 came from a q500 and each time I go into the controller to bind to it, it says the camera or gimbal firmware is outdated. It works fine though.

Which build of firmware is proven to be stable? I also would like to upgrade an older cgo3 I have to work with a Typhoon H. The older cgo3 came from a q500 and each time I go into the controller to bind to it, it says the camera or gimbal firmware is outdated. It works fine though.
Which build of firmware is proven to be stable?
You didn't specify which Drone, but for the Q500, Typhoon H and the H Plus, the current firmware is about the most stable available. SD card Downgrade or Upgrade comes into play only rarely. It is most likely needed if something went wrong with a normal OTA upgrade, or if some quirk in the system can be resolved by temporarily downgrading to allow a new OTA upgrade to work.

I also would like to upgrade an older cgo3 I have to work with a Typhoon H.
The CGo3 will never work as well on the Typhoon H as it did on the Q500. You will always have problems with on-screen video artifacts. Recorded video is fine. And the advanced features of the CG03 cannot be accessed on the TH. Some improvement of the on-screen video quality can be obtained by upgrading the camera to the latest CGo3 firmware. You can't upgrade a CGo3 to CG03+ firmware. The upgrade is blocked by the firmware.
The latest CGo3 firmware is here:
"Downloads - Typhoon Q500 4K"

The ST16 checks the firmware version against the CGO3+. It will always complain about "old" firmware of the CGO3. I have the same when I fly my Q500 with ST16. Ofcourse you will get the video downlink not with 720p but only 400p.

Last edited:
Reactions: cabinfourus
Which build of firmware is proven to be stable?
You didn't specify which Drone, but for the Q500, Typhoon H and the H Plus, the current firmware is about the most stable available. SD card Downgrade or Upgrade comes into play only rarely. It is most likely needed if something went wrong with a normal OTA upgrade, or if some quirk in the system can be resolved by temporarily downgrading to allow a new OTA upgrade to work.

I also would like to upgrade an older cgo3 I have to work with a Typhoon H.
The CGo3 will never work as well on the Typhoon H as it did on the Q500. You will always have problems with on-screen video artifacts. Recorded video is fine. And the advanced features of the CG03 cannot be accessed on the TH. Some improvement of the on-screen video quality can be obtained by upgrading the camera to the latest CGo3 firmware. You can't upgrade a CGo3 to CG03+ firmware. The upgrade is blocked by the firmware.
The latest CGo3 firmware is here:
"Downloads - Typhoon Q500 4K"
I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I own five Yuneec drones, two of which are under repair. It is my Typhoon H I am going to be updating the firmware on.
I have seen some posts of others saying they have had some issues with certain firmware updates. I am not sure what their problems were.
My Typhoon H Plus is losing GPS signal (or so it says) at times. My main led is solid purple but will flash white every ten to twelve seconds. I plan on first updating all firmware and go from there.
I ran into an issue trying to updat it OTA. Each time I clicked on the 'update firmware' tab in the controller it would say something like 'are you sure you would like to update your firmware' and I would click yes and nothing happens. I used the video instructions on Yuneec's download page.

The ST16 checks the firmware version against the CGO3+. It will alway complain about "old" firmware of the CGO3. I have the same when I fly my Q500 with ST16. Ofcourse you will get the video downlink not with 720p but only 400p.
I gotcha. I am thinking of purchasing another camera for my TH Plus anyway. Thanks for the information. I was a bit confused as to why the controller kept wanting to update a cgo3 with the latest firmware.

My main led is solid purple but will flash white every ten to twelve seconds.

I have seen some posts of others saying they have had some issues with certain firmware updates. I am not sure what their problems were.
It's been a while. I believe "toilet bowl" and "Bouncy Landing" came up a lot. Mine did not exhibit the "toilet bowl", and I eventually took the time to learn how to land. I don't have much to pass on about TH firware, except mine is on the latest firmware, and I don't have any real problems.

My main led is solid purple but will flash white every ten to twelve seconds.
The white flash is a very good thing. It is telling you it has good enough GPS to support Smart mode and things like Follow me. If that is the only sign you are seeing, you are about to violate the classic "don't fix it if it ain't broke" rule. ;) (Of course, natural "DIY" guys violate that rule all the time. The end result is often something that really is broken, and we get to fix it for real. PERFECT WORLD!!)

My Typhoon H Plus is losing GPS signal (or so it says) at times.
Are you seeing anything other than the periodic white flash?

My Typhoon H Plus is losing GPS signal (or so it says) at times.
Are you seeing anything other than the periodic white flash?
Nothing at all.

I have a quick question. Can you update a Typhoon H with a CGO3 camera from a Q500? I am having issues trying to update this TH (not my TH Plus). I am using a CGO3 from a Q500 as I don't have the CGO3 that came with this drone. It will not let me do an OTA update at all. Would the SD card update work for this situation?

I don't think so. Trying to dust some memory here, and trying to speculate using information related to different drone models.
I believe the OTA transfers the files to the camera SD card via 5.8 Wifi, or by placing an SD card with the files already loaded into the CGo3+. The camera then updates the Typhoon H from the SD card via the green "tx" wire that is part of the second row of contacts on the CGo3+ camera mount. The CGo3 does not have the "Tx" wire.

CGo3+ Hotshoe Wires.jpg

However, Typhoon H update can be done using a USB cable and the Typhoon H Gui, similar to the Q500 update.

Last edited:
@cabinfourus ,

I am really confused here. You keep talking about upgrading a CGO3 for your TH and also upgrading a TH Plus, but no mention of a C23 camera. I am getting the impression that you are calling an H480 with RealSense an H Plus when it would be more proper to call it a TH Pro (H480 w/ RealSense).

You are also saying the Plus shows a purple Main LED that flashes white and the H Plus doesn’t incorporate a Main LED, but uses the rear motor LED’s to communicate that information.

Do any of your aircraft measure 520mm between opposing motors? If you do they would be H Plus or H520 aircraft utilizing the ST-16S controller. The H Plus uses the C23 camera.

If your aircraft measure 480mm between opposing motors then you have H480’s either with or without RealSense, utilizing the ST-16 controller. The H480 uses the CGO3+ and CGO-ET cameras.

My Typhoon H Plus is losing GPS signal (or so it says) at times. My main led is solid purple but will flash white every ten to twelve seconds. I plan on first updating all firmware and go from there.

The Typhoon H Plus does not have a main LED and does not have a white intermittent flash under any condition. The two rear motor lights indicate the flight mode color.

Mistaken identity possibly?

I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I own five Yuneec drones, two of which are under repair. It is my Typhoon H I am going to be updating the firmware on.
OK, I see there is some confusion with my questions and post. I quoted my post from above only to show that I am not talking about my H Plus, which is in great working order and needs no firmware update. I do have a C23 camera on my H Plus but I didn't feel the need to mention this since I am not working on it.

I own 5 Yuneec birds. I have 3 Q500 and 2 H models one of which is an H Plus.

It is my Typhoon H with an older CGO3 camera from a Q500 that I am trying to update.

I must say, after many repairs, I have made to Yuneec drones and building them from spare parts, I have found that Yuneec went to many extremes trying to keep their customers from swapping around cameras, controllers, motors, and gimbals. They do this by design to keep us upgrading. Yuneec's format is a mirror image of Apple. Apple will roll out a new OS every year and design it so it will not work with older computers, tablets, phones, etc.
While this is good for business, it sucks for the customers. I would love to find someone who can help me find a workaround with Yuneec's software but Yuneec keeps stuff like this tight-lipped. There are some, like myself, who have used certain types of snooping software to catch some code from the controllers and birds communications but without a complete understanding of their code, it is hard to work with. DJI also follows the lead of Apple with their own system. It seems this is becoming the new normal. We must toss away the old and be forced to buy new, never rebuild.

We are a long way from the good ol' days of swapping a Quadrajet carburetor for a nice Holley on a muscle car.

You can tell by my analogy that I am an old school mechanic. 35 years with Chrysler/Jeep, Hendricks Motorsports, and Nascar but retired from the Marines, go figure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dharminder