Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Real Sense "phantom obstacles"

Reaction score
On CeBIT 2017 (Hanover, Germany, 20th-24th March) I asked a Yuneec official about a "special" Real Sense behaviour. Maybe some of you noticed this already, too:
Real Sense learns its environment and stores its experience using a 3D obstacle model with GPS coordinates.
One day I noticed, that my YTH Pro RS keeps avoiding straw bales on a field which didn't exist anymore for some months already...
Meanwhile the Yuneec official of the CeBIT booth contacted Intel to get an answer from a RS representative:
the RS module has a 6 GB memory. It is "not possible" to delete this memory manually.
It starts deleting "old" memories though as soon as it needs memory space for new surroundings.

Because I mostly do test flights in a relatively small area (500 m radius), it is normal so to say that my "phantom obstacles" remain active. This way the 3D model gets quite detailed over time, but mine still seems to be smaller than 6 GB...
Conclusion: RS is (or seems to be) unable to remove or update old obstacles but adds new obstacles to its 3D world as long as memory permits. Old data gets overwritten by new data only when the 6 GB memory limit is reached.

Perhaps the USA version is different. My two RealSense Typhoon Hs do not carry over 3D map data to subsequent flights. I have tested this over a period of time at the same places, at different places, etc etc.

My RealSense modules have no carry-over to the next power-on cycle. Intel makes this module in a number of configurations for various purposes other than drone use.

Perhaps the USA version is different. My two RealSense Typhoon Hs do not carry over 3D map data to subsequent flights. I have tested this over a period of time at the same places, at different places, etc etc.

My RealSense modules have no carry-over to the next power-on cycle. Intel makes this module in a number of configurations for various purposes other than drone use.
Strange but obviously true.
Just today I tested it again and it is actually "funny" to see the YTH RS avoid those phantom obstacles carved in its mind... (I have the straw bales of last year and a line of felled birch trees from this February).
What should be the reason for such different (contrary) behaviours for US and EU versions then? Why should a 3D obstacle map be erased before every mission at the same place?
Do you remove your flight battery while storing your YTHs for a few days? I keep a charged one in the slot all the time... Although I don't think that the RS's 3D memory is volatile if not battery backed up.
The longer I think about it the more it seems strange to me...

Do you remove your flight battery while storing your YTHs for a few days? I keep a charged one in the slot all the time..

You do? No, after each flight I remove the battery, and never insert a charged one until I'm ready to roll.
Seems unlikely there would be battery drain though, with the drone off. Unlike my car...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scan02