Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Sometimes the gimbal won't switch out of "G" mode

Reaction score
Twice now, the camera was in G mode even though the switch was in the top position. Flipping the switch back and forth a few times didn't fix it. I landed, power cycled the H, and that fixed it.

Any clues?

Has nobody anything to say about this? It's kinda an issue.

Has nobody anything to say about this? It's kinda an issue.
If power cycling the aircraft fixes it then that rules out a problem with the contacts behind the switch. I can't give any explanation about it since I've never had that problem myself.

A bit more info may help, if not me, then someone else to suggest the reasons (and a possible solution) to your issue.
You say it's happened twice. I presume on two separate flights. Were they consecutive flights or did you do some flights in between those flights where the issue occurred? I presume you are on the latest firmware?

I'd try calibrating the ST-16 via the secret menu process. That may provide better switch position identification. Note, this is the first time I've heard of this issue. Are you sure you understand what the switch and knob positions do relative to each other?

Thanks, I've seen the secret menu mentioned a few times around here. I will search it up later when I get home. PatR, yes I went to great lengths to understand the switch positions. G means that the cam rotates to stay facing the same way no matter how the craft yaws. The middle position keeps it facing the same direction related to the Craft's position and yaw with it. The top position should make the camera face forward all the time, and this where I normally keep it when I fly. This happened with several flights and a firmware update between instances.

Later today I'll find the secret menu and figure out how to upload telemetry. I'm at the shrink right now getting fitted for a new jacket.

I too have experienced this same issue. it did so Tuesday Morning and powering everything down was the only solution. its not the first time it has happened either but I had still been learning about the H then. I have sent in an e-mail to Yuneec about the issue but no reply as of yet.

I performed the calibration in the Secret Menu and will perform no more troubleshooting unless the issue comes back. Let's both update here with any news.

another camera issue I have had is sometimes the camera slowly turns one direction instead of staying put. Ive also had issues with losing the camera on the controller and flying blind! it just freezes in position but the H is still flying. I've developed the habit of hitting return to home when it happens now as not to have a flyaway!.

another camera issue I have had is sometimes the camera slowly turns one direction instead of staying put. I've also had issues with losing the camera on the controller and flying blind! it just freezes in position but the H is still flying. I've developed the habit of hitting return to home when it happens now as not to have a flyaway!.
The slowly turning thing happens when you mess with the camera with the H turned on, such as to put the card in it.

Flying blind is usually caused by interference or a radio disruption from the H to the controller. Try a better antenna.

The slowly turning thing seems to happen as soon as the gimbal calibration is done. it just keeps drifting ever so slowly without even picking the unit up or moving it.

Ive lost the picture when the unit was 30 meters up and less the 100 yards away from me in an open fairway on one of my golf holes. not much interference there. not even power lines to mess with it.

It happened again yesterday. I popped up in the air and the camera was in G mode. I landed, power cycled the H, and took off again and it was working correctly. Is this something for warranty repair attentions?

The slowly turning thing seems to happen as soon as the gimbal calibration is done. it just keeps drifting ever so slowly without even picking the unit up or moving it.

Ive lost the picture when the unit was 30 meters up and less the 100 yards away from me in an open fairway on one of my golf holes. not much interference there. not even power lines to mess with it.

Power lines do not affect the H as I discovered (accidentally flying 10 cm over 10 kV lines).

After each calibration best power down the H and reboot it. Helped for the slow turning for me.

Does this show G mode on the controller or is just what you refer to it as?

I had this happen a few weeks back. ended up having to shut down and turn back on again. this was happening no matter what position the switches were in on the controller, and right after calibration.

I call it G Mode because there is a G next to the switch position that puts it in that mode. It is the same with me, moving the switch makes no difference and the H has to be power cycled to resolve it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvca441772