Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16 controls

Reaction score
I got my typhoon H and have been taking my time learning it slowly. This evening while using the Flight sim, I realized that for years of using flight sims, flying RC planes and Heli's, I am used to the Thrust controller being reversed (Back for up and forward for down) from what the ST16 uses. Is there a practical way to reverse the THR on the ST16 or I am stuck with re-training my brain the other way? Yes, I know its not that big of a deal; however a question not asked is a question unanswered.
Part two just came to mind...In the flight Sim, I am unable to display the Typhoon H. What am I overlooking?
-Thank you for your time in advance.

Yes, you can select an optional mode but not reverse the throttle as you prefer. You are wanting to do is reverse the operation of the "J1" control, correct? Someone possibly could reverse the "J1" wiring but that's above my pay grade. I suggest re-learning mode 2 as that seems to be the standard.
In the simulator, are you seeing any model at all? If you just need to change the model to the "H" then there is a pull down menu "Model", then "Select Model", then select the Typhoon H.

Last edited:
Tinmax, there is no right or wrong, just standards but I'm curious, you described the thrust controller (I assume you mean throttle) going back for up and forward for down? In a plane this would apply to the elevator, back stick elevator would cause the nose to pitch up, and forward stick elevator to pitch down, however the throttle would still be up for more throttle and down for less.

In a heli which is more like a drone in terms of controls, the throttle stick up causes more power and increased collective (if you aren't flying fixed pitch), so the heli/drone rises while the throttle stick down causes less power and less collective (assuming you aren't flying 3D), while the elevator of the heli is stick up for forward and stick down for backward.

Are you referring more to how a plane behaves? Heli's and drones behave differently from planes?

I'm only mentioning this because if you can train yourself to use standard controls for planes and heli's you can just grab and go with a new model instead of trying to reprogram controls which could lead to issues, especially if you reset a controller and forget to reprogram it to your liking. Also, some controllers on cheaper models only let you select the various standard modes (1-2) or (1-4) and don't support servo reversing.

Reactions: AH-1G
The throttle quadrant functions the same in planes and heli's. Normal operation has throttle forward to increase power, throttle back to decrease power. Throttle is always the primary control used to control altitude, hence the adage; throttle controls altitude, elevator controls airspeed. The OP seems to have started out in RC with a rather strange throttle set up and somehow kept carrying it forward. Ideally the OP could re-train himself for correct control function as it would make transitions to other systems a lot easier to accomplish.

I'm just not clear on what is meant by 'Thrust controller'. The described behavior (back for up, forward for down) could mean elevator pitch up or down as in a plane which would reflect the stick direction or literally as throttle for altitude up/down being reversed, I just don't know.

In terms of helicopter controls: Cyclic: controls forward, backward, left or right.
Collective: controls up and down or also know as pitch. then you have your anti-torque pedals yaw left or right.
In most cases as it were in the Cobra Helicopters engine speed is a toggle switch to increase or decrease speed.

Thanks to all who responded. As I suspected mode 2 seems to be the standard thus I shall adapt (thanks grandpawmoses).
As for the Simulator, I see 2 models available to pick from, Q500 Typhoon and Q500 Typhoon 4K.

Thanks to all who responded. As I suspected mode 2 seems to be the standard thus I shall adapt (thanks grandpawmoses).
As for the Simulator, I see 2 models available to pick from, Q500 Typhoon and Q500 Typhoon 4K.

Go to the Yuneec website & download and install the latest version of the simulator. It has the H.
Version 3.0
Or, and I haven't tried this,
open your simulator
Under the "file" pull down menu (upper left), click update

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Picture The Stars