Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Strange happenings

Note if the drone achieved bind, it would start flashing the rear LED in a "3 quick flash" pattern while it was getting a GPS lock. But the color would be either purple or green, depending on which fight mode is selected. And the motor LEDs would also be flashing the same "3 quick flash" pattern. Depending on what was actually indicated, it ALMOST sounds like you may have achieved a good bind, just didn't wait for GPS before you tried to start motors.

Last edited:
IF the issue in this thread is in fact a controller issue, then the following discussion has no direct bearing on this thread. It is provided for others that may have similar symptoms that are NOT controller related.
In the earlier posts of the this thread, the OP ran through the "Binding Verification" checklist, and reported the sequence failed at Step 50. Normally, a failure at step 50 implies a failure of the receiver to communicate with the mainboard of the drone. This component of the communication is carried by the BLUE wire on the receiver, which changes to the WHITE wire at the first (or only) connector from the receiver. The wire then continues as WHITE for the remainder of the way to the mainboard, including the white wire on the "GUI Tap" extension of the Q500 4K model. (The wire is labeled as "3" on the drawing in post #8 above.)
A general status of the communication "components" under these circumstances is as follows:
1.) The receiver is seeing the signals sent from the controller.
2.) The controller is seeing the signals sent by the receiver.
3.) The receiver is seeing signals from the drone mainboard.
4.) The drone mainboard is NOT seeing signals from the receiver.
Note this condition can be created by a failure in the receiver itself, a failure on the mainboard, corrosion of the connections, broken wire or failed solder joints. Some of these can present as "intermittent" failures.
Note that a failure to bind is not the only issue created by this failure, and is by far NOT the most significant. This failure, occurring while in flight, causes a loss of control of the drone. (Note that if the system is otherwise functioning normally, In case of loss of signal, Typhoon will return to home and remain in a hover until the signal is regained. Typhoon will land if the voltage is below 10.7 volts for a consecutive 3 seconds if the signal is not acquired.)

Last edited:
Saying I was blind only meant I know nothing about the controller.
With the ST12- DNF 4K "trouble drone " binding says connection established but light blinks orange. No short beep to begin binding. So no telemetry.

On PHOENIX 4KBINDING CONNECTION EDTABLISHED, CGO3 CONNECTION ESTABLISHED. Video plays but doesn't pitch, stays up forward, light blinks orange.

ST10+ _ DNF 4K bind... Connection established, no camera, light still blinks orange

PHOENIX 4K. CONNECTION ESTABLISHED, CAMERA WORKS, Video and pitch, light steady orange.

Getting confusing but this time I wrote it down as I tested.

Sorry the Phoenix should be steady purple, not orange
I'll have to try DNFBagain, as it was inside and couldn't establish satellites

OK, I'm a little confused by the last post, but let me go through the post before last, and try to adjust as I go:

"With the ST12- DNF 4K "trouble drone " binding says connection established but light blinks orange. No short beep to begin binding. So no telemetry."
IF the rear led is blinking orange, it is not bound.

"On PHOENIX 4KBINDING CONNECTION EDTABLISHED, CGO3 CONNECTION ESTABLISHED. Video plays but doesn't pitch, stays up forward, light blinks orange."
If the rear led is blinking orange, it is not bound. Which controller was this?

"ST10+ _ DNF 4K bind... Connection established, no camera, light still blinks orange"
If the rear led is blinking orange, it is not bound.

"PHOENIX 4K. CONNECTION ESTABLISHED, CAMERA WORKS, Video and pitch, light steady orange."
If this is the one that is actually purple (by your last post), then yes, it is bound. Again, which controller was this?

Also be aware that "Camera Bind" and "Drone Bind" are two different things. The video picture you see on screen is part of the "Camera Bind". Camera tilt, however, is part of the "DRONE Bind".
You should be seeing a picture on screen if the camera is bound, regardless of whether the drone is bound or not. However, you will not be able to "Tilt" the camera unless the drone is bound.

Reactions: Steve Carr
On PHOENIX 4KBINDING CONNECTION EDTABLISHED, CGO3 CONNECTION ESTABLISHED. Video plays but doesn't pitch, stays up forward, light blinks orange.
I'm a bit confused. Does the Phoenix bind with either controller????
In other words, do you see the video; do you see a purple (blue) light; can you control the camera?

OK, I'm a little confused by the last post, but let me go through the post before last, and try to adjust as I go:

"With the ST12- DNF 4K "trouble drone " binding says connection established but light blinks orange. No short beep to begin binding. So no telemetry."
IF the rear led is blinking orange, it is not bound.

"On PHOENIX 4KBINDING CONNECTION EDTABLISHED, CGO3 CONNECTION ESTABLISHED. Video plays but doesn't pitch, stays up forward, light blinks orange."
If the rear led is blinking orange, it is not bound. Which controller was this?

"ST10+ _ DNF 4K bind... Connection established, no camera, light still blinks orange"
If the rear led is blinking orange, it is not bound.

"PHOENIX 4K. CONNECTION ESTABLISHED, CAMERA WORKS, Video and pitch, light steady orange."
If this is the one that is actually purple (by your last post), then yes, it is bound. Again, which controller was this?
Sorry for the confusion, first 2 were with 12, last 2 were with 10.

With the drones in 2 different locations, I'll have to redo. But it seems the problem is the blue wire. Reading the symptoms it's exactly what happened in flight. When the bird lost signal it returned home, but didn't land until the battery hit last warning.

This is my next question. On loss of signal and drone returns home, will it automatically land, or hover til battery drains. I'm expecting to get both drones and transmitters together Saturday. And will systematically run diagnosis.

But guys I GREATLY appreciate the help. On an earlier note, WTFD, the problem I was having with the camera was the wifi board. When I looked at the FPV file, it showed exactly what I was seeing on the monitor, and the sdcard files were clear and true.

Again thanks and when I get a more definite diagnosis I'll be sure and let y'all know the results.
Ink

This is my next question. On loss of signal and drone returns home, will it automatically land, or hover til battery drains. I'm expecting to get both drones and transmitters together Saturday. And will systematically run diagnosis.

That is what it is SUPPOSED to do, in an ideal situation. If GPS and all else works well, then yes, It should return home and hover until the battery gets low. However, I don't think I would want to try that on purpose. Way too many things can influence the outcome, and most can just go wrong.

I'm a bit confused. Does the Phoenix bind with either controller????
In other words, do you see the video; do you see a purple (blue) light; can you control the camera?
Ok guys, finally got all components together and the answer is Phoenix binds to both controllers, DNF4K Binds to neither. When this episode happened, she went into RTH, came home and hovered til battery dropped, then nicely landed within 3 fr of take off. Kinda impressed personally. So it looks like a blue wire problem. Will be taking her apart this week hopefully to find A corrosion problem. Thanks for all the insight and my apologies on any confusion. Ink

Since both controller and GPS seem affected, it could be as simple as corrosion on one of the connectors between the Q500 4K mainboard and everything else. If you take the top shell off, you would want to clean all of them, but the most suspect are circled in red on the following images. (If yours is not a 4K, there is only one connector.)

.View attachment 18451 View attachment 18450
Upon disassembly, looks like the white wire from the board ( from the inserted pic from WTFDproject.) Thinking I should just resolder to the board. Any comments or suggestions?

That should fix the problem. Be sure to clean off the flux. It's not a killer, but it can cause issues later. A little alcohol on a cotton swab works as well as anything.

Ok surgery is done, closing now . Proud of the job I did. It didn't look like but maybe one wire was originally soldered. This is the drone I bought as a parts drone, it was sold as "does not fly" , but when I got it everything looked good and checked on GUI so I put a battery in and tried it. Has flown now for several months. Wondering if maybe it had been an intermittent problem. Either way , soon as I can get all these screws back in will fire it up ton.ight

So does this officially make me an OJT'd drone tech. So far partially rebuilt cgo3 now repaired mainboard on Q500. What more qualifications do I need for my resume? [emoji848]

Reactions: WTFDproject
All's well with battery installed. Had to turn off GPS because test was done inside. So looks like DNF (does not fly) can be rechristened as DTF (does TOO fly). Or at least Powers up and motors run. Thanks W for everything. Feel like a proud Papa again. Now to terrorize the neighborhood again.

Reactions: WTFDproject

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig