Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Strange landing behavior Q500

Reaction score
Since I have been flying the Q I noticed that when the bird gets within say 2-3 ft of the ground during the landing process it will suddenly fly up about 3 or 4 ft and then I can coax it down to a landing. I figures that it must be reacting to its own rotor wash so I expect it and deal with it. Today though was quite a bit different. With about a 10 MPH breeze I was again bringing it down for a landing and got within 4 ft of the ground when it suddenly rose to about 15-20 ft. For a moment full down on the stick did nothing but then it did react to the stick and I was able to land it normally. Any ideas about what causes this? Have others experienced this type of behavior? The 15-20 ft jump is what made this different. Don"t think there was a sudden gust at that moment that could have contributed to the rise.

Let me add this observation to the above story. When the bird suddenly goes into its climb ( 15 ft or so ) during landing I am, of course, applying full down stick to arrest that and bring it back down. There is a second or two where the bird does not respond to that input then it will start to descend quickly as if it suddenly recognizes the down full down input and down she comes quickly. I have always been able to save it from landing hard when it does that but I sure would like to know if this behavior is seen by others? I guess it was a little gusty where I was flying. Maybe that contributed to it?? Hardware check of sticks is okay.

Have you tried coming in to lands on turtle I noticed when I come in on rabbit to land it gets caught up on its own down draft so after reading afew things I have started to come to land on turtle it helps a lot better but remember response on turtle is slower on the sticks than rabbit

Reactions: Jafo
IMO that might make things worse as sometimes I need the faster response from the sticks, especially during the landing. I think the answer to my question is still out there. Thanks for the reply!

No, it was a manual landing all the way. Starting to think if there was a mini thermal coming off the black top? It was hot. Next time this happens I will try a landing on some nearby grass and see if it does it there also.

The "Bounce" near the ground is normal and the latest update helped a bit with that issue.
I use a milk crate to land and take off on. Works great and gives the rotor wash a place to go. No more bounce.
If you can avoid coming straight down you want to do that.Land like a real copter and come in at a shallow angle.
Turtle mode when landing is your friend. If your in Rabbit mode and come straight down I can almost guarantee you're going to get caught up in the rotor wash and the drone will drop erratically.
As to the "Hop" to 15'... i have no clue but not surprised. I wrote earlier about these "Finicky Drones" .
That said... I had my own unexplained crash today and I'm working on posting up the details and video.
Stay tuned.

Reactions: Thomas111
I thought that Turtle Mode simply slowed down the bird's reaction to control inputs. Most of the time it sems like I need the bird to respond quickly to me. I don't believe I am over controlling? I dont mind the 2 to 3 ft rise during landing. I am kind of use to that. The 15 ft rise is another thing entirely. I'm looking at the possibility of a heat thermal because the black asphalt get hot. I like your idea of a milk crate! Steve Carr made me aware of the Vortex Ring so I don't come straight down but the last 10 ft or so you have to especially if your in a tight spot. I guess the danger is gone by then.

Well if you get a milk crate try land in rabbit mode then when does not go to plan go back up and then try land on [emoji217] mode you will see what we are meaning with it on [emoji217] you can line it up for the pad better than in rabbit mode try it and see what you think that's the only way I come in to land now

Turtle mode slows everything down.Speed and the Reaction of the drone both.Just what you would expect in turtle mode.
When I'm teaching new guys how to fly RC planes I often have to remind them to "Slow it down". "Take some speed off of it".
Give you and the Q both more time to react and plan your next move.
:)

Reactions: Thomas111
My main issue is still the bird suddenly flying up 15 ft or so from about 3 ft during the landing process. Then, reacting to my down command, it stats back down quickly. Only does it sometimes. It may be related to heat on my black topped driveway. Thermals. Going to be testing the theory next week with some landings on grass and milk crates. I will try Turtle mode also but I don't think that will answer the question why this sudden climb to 15+ ft? Thanks Jafo!

Wings you could be answering ur own question as you think it's to do with thermal from your tar on the drive way then try a different surface

I doubt that's the case. I've flown off the asphalt here in the desert loads of times and never had that issue.
I guess you never know though. Stranger things have happened.
:)

Wings you could be answering ur own question as you think it's to do with thermal from your tar on the drive way then try a different surface
That's the plan. Just have not had time to do some testing.

You guys get some wild winds in the winter time. Glascow had 80 mph in January!
j

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig