Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Sunshade for CGO3

Reaction score
I am getting a lot of flaring and rainbows in the videos. What are the best options for a lens hood / sunshade for the standard lens?

Thanks!

There are no commercial options I know of, so you would have to make something out of heavy card stock and tape it to the camera if you need something now. Won't help if you are filming into the sun, though.

Longer term, this seems like a great opportunity for someone with a 3D printer to offer a more durable solution. Print it, spray it flat black, sell it. I checked Thingyverse, there is nothing there yet.

Here's something I made from a soda can that works quite well. It is epoxied to the ND16 filter (usually need both in bright sun). The shape was determined by trial and error to get maximum shading without being visible in a 16:9 video. I does show up in the corners of a 4:3 snap shot, however.
DSC02023.JPG

Attachments

• DSC02025.JPG
    DSC02025.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 104
Reactions: Jester
I am getting a lot of flaring and rainbows in the videos. What are the best options for a lens hood / sunshade for the standard lens?

Thanks!
I got this lens hood off of ebay from (Comfinder 7328). It works with the original UV filter that came with the CGO3 camera and Freewell ND filters. Only problem I've noticed with it though, is that there is some vignetting on the sides.

vernonda

I have been working on a sunshade for the Typhoon and have created tooling to make versions from Fiberglass, Carbon Fiber and several plastics, with all versions the weight (1.6 - 2.3 Grams) is less than the Polar Pro ND4 filter which weighs in at 2.8 grams. These do not attach to the filter but do allow the use of them independently. Still in the testing phase at this time, need to get out this weekend and put them to use.

Hood5.jpg
Hood6.jpg

Update : found this on ebay.

Very light and I believe will do the job.

German listing, but does have an English portion within the description.

Has sizes for both the Yuneec lens and Polor Pro lens.

Gegenlichtblende / LENSHOOD für Yuneec CG03+ Typhoon H Kamera | eBay

Gegenlichtblende / LENSHOOD Yuneec Typhoon H CG03+/ 4k für PolarPro ND Filter | eBay

View attachment 6360 View attachment 6361 View attachment 6362 View attachment 6363

I purchased this lens hood for the PolarPro filters and they work pretty well. One thing I did additionally,
(since I had a damaged filter from a crash) was to carefully break out the glass from that damaged filter
effectively giving me a "no filter" mount for the lens shade as well.

I have been working on a sunshade for the Typhoon and have created tooling to make versions from Fiberglass, Carbon Fiber and several plastics, with all versions the weight (1.6 - 2.3 Grams) is less than the Polar Pro ND4 filter which weighs in at 2.8 grams. These do not attach to the filter but do allow the use of them independently. Still in the testing phase at this time, need to get out this weekend and put them to use.

View attachment 5883
View attachment 5882

Any progress to share? I’m in the market for an effective lens shade. I bought the one from eBay but it’s worthless to me. It simply doesn’t fit. I want one that works with my ND filters and can be put on and removed easily. I use a Typhoon H 480 hardcase and that necessitates the ability to put on and remove the lens shade.

I took an inexpensive test approach - fashioned one out of black gaffers tape with scissors and stuck it to the camera - light weight and easily replaceable

Reactions: Rubik
I took an inexpensive test approach - fashioned one out of black gaffers tape with scissors and stuck it to the camera - light weight and easily replaceable
Does it not add any instability fitting a hood? I would of thought there would be some wind resistance.

The hood is small and light. As a result I don't think there is much wind resistance or induced instability in the camera. I bought a hood early on that fit that description but was "printed" and its single limitation was that it only worked with the Yuneec provided lens filter. Soooo.... it was easy to fashion a new hood out of gaffers tape that was a very close size and weight. Then I could use my Polar Pro ND filters. Its by no means a work of art or even craftsmanship. It might look like something from a grade school class.

The hood is small and light. As a result I don't think there is much wind resistance or induced instability in the camera. I bought a hood early on that fit that description but was "printed" and its single limitation was that it only worked with the Yuneec provided lens filter. Soooo.... it was easy to fashion a new hood out of gaffers tape that was a very close size and weight. Then I could use my Polar Pro ND filters. Its by no means a work of art or even craftsmanship. It might look like something from a grade school class.
Good to know, I tried one on a quadcopter and the camera was out of control.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dharminder