Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Thinking of Buying a 920

Would those of you that have a 920, are experienced multirotor operators, have put a few flights on the 920 after learning the system, and understand how cameras and systems are supposed to work mind posting some of your thoughts about the 920 performance and camera capabilities?

Edit,

My request for info may have some too late. The 920 is not an available product on the Yuneec website.
Pat I finally got a hold of a 920 yeee haaaa

Congrats! Make sure the vendor tests the aircraft, ST-16, and camera/gimbal before they ship it. Once it arrives, take a little time learning about how all of it works, especially the camera settings, before diving into the deep end. Take the time to check every screw before the first flight. If you have a torque screwdriver use 6in.lb. to 8in.lb. as a torque value. Use either a medium blue thread lock compound, sparingly, or Loctite #222 Purple on every screw. Don't buy ANY additional Yuneec batteries. That's a waste of money and an anger generator on a grand scale. Read the thread about battery alternatives and go that route.

"Take the time to check every screw before the first flight" * which screws do you mean? propeller screws or other screws as well?

Ok just read your previous posts I think I have figured it out! :) By the way I haven't screwed the landing gear all the way as I find it pretty hard and I am afraid of breaking something. Anyone experienced difficulty with screwing the landing gear? It could be that I am using the wrong screws as there were no instructions whatsoever. I also noticed that the upper part of the landing gear looked pretty worn out, unlike the rest of the drone which looks new (it is supposed to be!).
I will post pictures when I am back home tonight.

Last edited:
@PatR Another question: you mentioned you disassembled your drone completely. Would it be practical to remove the arms? The aim is to be able to transport the drone in an airplane cabin. A solution I found is to remove the screws that attach the hinges of the arms. Since the inner cable has some extra length it is then possible to put the arm in a horizontal position (same plane as the aircraft body but tangent to the aircraft and not directed outward as in flying position). That saves a lot of space. But of course one has to be careful not to pull on the cable. It would be even better to remove the arm completely but that would be practical only if
1) the body can easily be opened
2) the motor cables can be disconnected and reconnected in a safe and easy way i.e if there is a connector and they are not soldered

Congrats! Make sure the vendor tests the aircraft, ST-16, and camera/gimbal before they ship it. Once it arrives, take a little time learning about how all of it works, especially the camera settings, before diving into the deep end. Take the time to check every screw before the first flight. If you have a torque screwdriver use 6in.lb. to 8in.lb. as a torque value. Use either a medium blue thread lock compound, sparingly, or Loctite #222 Purple on every screw. Don't buy ANY additional Yuneec batteries. That's a waste of money and an anger generator on a grand scale. Read the thread about battery alternatives and go that route.
It was a used piece 920+, appears flawless, 6 flights, everything included and 5 batts, but will check everthing out

Sounds like a good deal.

Might you be the one that reached out to me on FB? Either way, don't buy any more Yuneec batteries, they aren't worth half of what they charge from them and are real short on flight time, even when flying a 3 battery set. Right now you have enough batteries for only about 24 minutes of total flight time, and that time will become a little less with each charge cycle. You have to use at least two ports at a time. Never fly with a battery installation that uses only a single battery input port, you must be connected to at least two battery inputs. As soon as you can order 2 or 4 Zippy 500mA batteries before they run out of stock again. Each pair is good for another 20 minutes or so.

@PatR Another question: you mentioned you disassembled your drone completely. Would it be practical to remove the arms? The aim is to be able to transport the drone in an airplane cabin. A solution I found is to remove the screws that attach the hinges of the arms. Since the inner cable has some extra length it is then possible to put the arm in a horizontal position (same plane as the aircraft body but tangent to the aircraft and not directed outward as in flying position). That saves a lot of space. But of course one has to be careful not to pull on the cable. It would be even better to remove the arm completely but that would be practical only if
1) the body can easily be opened
2) the motor cables can be disconnected and reconnected in a safe and easy way i.e if there is a connector and they are not soldered

I did not fully disassemble my 920+, I only checked all the screws that were externally accessible on the airframe to assure they were tight and secure. They weren't, and there was considerable differences in the torque value between all the screws, and those screws are all of the same size. Differences in torque value may well be why some have experienced cracks in their motor mount plates as unequal screw torque permits slight movement of the "secured" component. Movement induces stress, stress induces fretting.

As for full disassembly, I'm one that loathes taking apart a perfectly functioning complex machine only to reassemble it again over and over. I can appreciate a desire for easier portability but the length we might have to go to achieve that, and the additional risks that might be incurred to accomplish it, frequently outweigh the potential benefits. Sure, it's cheaper to make use of carry on instead of checked baggage but having flown frequently in both business and coach classes I have yet to experience a flight where anyone exercised any concern for the belongings of others when they stuffed and jammed their carry on's into an overhead that already had baggage in it. I've seen many "get a run" at an overhead compartment in order to cram a large piece of baggage in a small space, and this has only become worse as air carriers have increased their charges for checked baggage. There's also a much higher probability to losing small critical components through repeated assembly processes, and damage to wiring or other electrical components through repeated handling processes the system was never intended to experience. It would really suck to have a job, and a customer, a long ways off be lost because we got there with non functioning equipment that didn't function because we elected to tear it apart to save money with travel expenses.

The 920 is not a small rig. It was never designed to function or transport like a toy rig, and it's why it comes with a very good pair of shipping containers to protect it. The price, and reward, of being a professional is higher than what is experienced by users of toy and pro-am level equipment, and as professionals we understand the cost of our equipment and travel needs will be higher. We pass those costs along to our customers in our rate structures, who pay it because they demand higher, professional quality end product.

Reactions: madatme
Sounds like a good deal.

Might you be the one that reached out to me on FB? Either way, don't buy any more Yuneec batteries, they aren't worth half of what they charge from them and are real short on flight time, even when flying a 3 battery set. Right now you have enough batteries for only about 24 minutes of total flight time, and that time will become a little less with each charge cycle. You have to use at least two ports at a time. Never fly with a battery installation that uses only a single battery input port, you must be connected to at least two battery inputs. As soon as you can order 2 or 4 Zippy 500mA batteries before they run out of stock again. Each pair is good for another 20 minutes or so.
No wasn't me, I don't do face book, buy I have asked you a few questions in the past about 480, thanks for the battery tip and anything else that might be helpful

The word I have received is that Yuneec will continue to support the 920 in parts and service. That has come from both Yuneec and one of their authorized service dealers, Terrestrial Imaging. This is something I researched heavily before buying my 920. I have no concerns about future upgrades. It could be a little better but as it already does what I need upgrades would have been nice but not a mandatory item. Parts and repairs are certainly important going forward and don’t look to be a problem.

BTW, there’s a single 8000ma graphene battery that’s providing ~21 minutes of flight time for the 920. That roughly equals what three of the 4000ma Yuneec batteries are providing. Better still is the graphene battery cost half what three Yuneec batteries do. I’ll be buying one shortly to try it out.
I just spoke with Yuneec. I specifically asked about the 920. She informed me to not buy the 920 as support and parts will no longer be given. It's a dead unit. I also asked if there was any chance that the software would ever be made accessible and she said no.

Great platform that's professional that has a good payload but unfortunately enough didn't sell so Yuneec doesn't care. I'm planning on buying a used 920 and I'll probably need to buy a backup for parts. Bummer

I need a little hand holding here. I'm ready to make the plunge and buy a used 920 with 2 st24's. Knowing the parts and support will no longer be there I could use some feedback from you guys.

I've found several of the hard to find parts for the 920 in the Hobby Stores in the UK or Europe. A few were never available, shipped or sold to USA... like the CGO3 adapter mount. BTW; Much cleaner look than the 3rd party custom mount made for US owners.

I tried to order direct from Yuneec UK but they refused to sell & ship to USA, and within their Web site the Store order page lacks the USA option. But a quick hop out to the neighboring UK Hobby Stores, and emailing their sales finds most 920 parts, and helpful technicians. Excluding sending LiPo batteries to USA address.

Reactions: thoneter
I need a little hand holding here. I'm ready to make the plunge and buy a used 920 with 2 st24's. Knowing the parts and support will no longer be there I could use some feedback from you guys.
As you've probably found, many great sources on this site and you can apply a lot of the threads for other model's principles to the H920. :rolleyes:There is an old-'er guy... PatR :p that's a great source of 920 and overall principles of flight dynamics and energy.

I'm 1-2 months in Ft of you. I purchased a 1st gen "new" H920, 2 ST24, CGO4, V18 Zoom Camera, ST12, and CG0 camera adapter, few other parts. Waiting for bit warmer weather to fly the big bird but playing with RC's and inspecting AC.

I'm new to Yuneec from DJI side, found the Yuneec gang on this site to be top notch in sharing information & helpful advice.

I also picked up a Typhoon H Pro RS, several extra CGO3+, CGO-ET, and looking at a few more gimbals. The GB603 for my GH4, and the GB203 / GoPro.

You'll notice on the ST24, lists all these cameras as pre-loaded, many more than H920 / ST16. I'm interested in the GB203 mount for a Mutisprectrum camera near size of GoPro. My unproven assumption (pending), since all these cameras, LK58 & MK58 video streamers are listed, should be able to use the GB203/MK58 with a multispectrum camera too.

I've been flying the H480 in the freezing temps, learning the differences in the RC from what I'm accustomed. Happy to help if I can... but I'm a 920 newbie too!

Shocker... still a little rebel in me... I found a great Inspire 1 X5Raw that I couldn't resist... added to collection. The X5 uses the same MFT lenses as the CGO4.

As you've probably found, many great sources on this site and you can apply a lot of the threads for other model's principles to the H920. :rolleyes:There is an old-'er guy... PatR :p that's a great source of 920 and overall principles of flight dynamics and energy.

I'm 1-2 months in Ft of you. I purchased a 1st gen "new" H920, 2 ST24, CGO4, V18 Zoom Camera, ST12, and CG0 camera adapter, few other parts. Waiting for bit warmer weather to fly the big bird but playing with RC's and inspecting AC.

I'm new to Yuneec from DJI side, found the Yuneec gang on this site to be top notch in sharing information & helpful advice.

I also picked up a Typhoon H Pro RS, several extra CGO3+, CGO-ET, and looking at a few more gimbals. The GB603 for my GH4, and the GB203 / GoPro.

You'll notice on the ST24, lists all these cameras as pre-loaded, many more than H920 / ST16. I'm interested in the GB203 mount for a Mutisprectrum camera near size of GoPro. My unproven assumption (pending), since all these cameras, LK58 & MK58 video streamers are listed, should be able to use the GB203/MK58 with a multispectrum camera too.

I've been flying the H480 in the freezing temps, learning the differences in the RC from what I'm accustomed. Happy to help if I can... but I'm a 920 newbie too!
Don't know if I should trust old farts like PatR and Steve Carr! I've got 2 480's, 3 st16's, 4 chargers, and 3 cgo3+'s.

I think the 920 and the 520 are like the odd numbered Star Trek movies. Not quite as good as the other models. Yuneec tends to drop the ball on support for the models that don't sell like hotcakes. It's tough that they wont fix the issues that the 920 has. They are still promising to fix all of the 520 issues but many that bought it are shelving them until the new firmware comes out.

Shocker... still a little rebel in me... I found a great Inspire 1 X5Raw that I couldn't resist... added to collection. The X5 uses the same MFT lenses as the CGO4.
One of the guys in the UK has the 520 that he's shelving and he bought the Inspire for his commercial inspections.
It's a shame that Yuneec won't let us access the firmware on the 920.

LOL... sorry... didn't realize you were old crew! Ya Steve & Pat serve up wisdom with a surprise at times... always entertainment!

The 520 looked great to me... that's what brought me over to Yuneec. Was pondering getting into Ag aerial & Mapping projects. But got a little shy not knowing it's fate. If it's dying, that limits it and have no desire to pay top price on a 3 legged horse.

The 920 platform has possibilities and if it's static in development then it has one advantage, it'll never have a NFZ issue. I leaned towards the H920 (non-plus) due to it appeared to offer a few more capabilities and sacrificed some minimal software features that I can accomplish without or with another bird.

But as Pat has explored... it might be a good platform for a new build up in near future.

Well Old Crew ;)... the newbie welcomes you to 920's!

One of the guys in the UK has the 520 that he's shelving and he bought the Inspire for his commercial inspections.
It's a shame that Yuneec won't let us access the firmware on the 920.
If we had the ability to access the 920's FW like 3rd party tools allow access to DJI FW... it'd provide a lot of options, and I think some small speciality shop would probably do some great development.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcojanson67