Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

This is why we need regulation....

The only regulation that would have prevented that would be one that prevented any flight. You can have an infinite number of permits, passes and qualifications but that won't prevent software/hardware issues.

Yes, I feel that he should not have been flying where he was. I feel that downtown areas should be NFZ. Also, I would never trust return to home in such area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've heard, the Space Needle is a no fly zone and the drone was 200' over the maximum allowed by the FAA. There were 2 regulations already in place which did nothing to prevent this. There is a need for regulation, however invariably when an event occurs there's a laundry list of existing laws/regulations which were already violated to get to this point. Maybe a force field around the space needle? :rolleyes:

From what I've heard, the Space Needle is a no fly zone and the drone was 200' over the maximum allowed by the FAA. There were 2 regulations already in place which did nothing to prevent this. There is a need for regulation, however invariably when an event occurs there's a laundry list of existing laws/regulations which were already violated to get to this point. Maybe a force field around the space needle? :rolleyes:
Well...the next step as stupid as it would be if happened, is to ban all uUAS for unlicensed pilots.

Bill W.

Additional regs don't always solve the issue as those who abide by them would not have been flying there in the first place and those that ignore them will keep doing so regardless of how many times you put In place.

A bit like when there is a road accident involving cars going over the speed limit people immediately ask for a drop in speed limit, if someone was already driving 40 mph over the existing one it won't slow them down. It only means they are further over the limit.

Reactions: Steve Carr
As this thread already shows and is a popular point of discussion. Rules an Regs do exist. Its a matter of people following them. As with other areas of "American Life". More rules and regs only limits the freedoms of law/rule abiding citizens. Those that chose to either not learn the rules/regs or blatantly disregard them has no impact to them.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Like any other law currently in place, a new law will not prevent a crime but only add another penalty for those that get caught breaking them. New laws will also further restrict those that obey existing law and those that observe and respect the rights of others and property. This nation has more laws than can be enforced and if all laws were enforced everyone would be a criminal.

What is needed is enforcement of existing law with the application of penalties severe enough to make breaking the law something to be avoided.

Widespread education and training is also needed to better inform people that are ignorant of safe flight practices. There are a lot of self centered and stupid people out there that no law will ever get through to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I still say they need to put bigger warnings on ANY type of RC aircraft.
"YOU CAN NOT JUST FLY THIS ANYWHERE"
This is exactly the kind of bad press that is going to make it tougher on the SMART and SAFE pilots.

Reactions: Art-Tistic
Additional regs don't always solve the issue as those who abide by them would not have been flying there in the first place and those that ignore them will keep doing so regardless of how many times you put In place.

A bit like when there is a road accident involving cars going over the speed limit people immediately ask for a drop in speed limit, if someone was already driving 40 mph over the existing one it won't slow them down. It only means they are further over the limit.
I don't feel there should be further rules, but stronger penalties when they are broken.
Especially when they are clearly being flown in airspace and heights not permitted.
The most frustrating part about these kind of accidents are that it makes it harder on those of us that try to be careful and follow safety rules.

The Space Needle has been hit at the upper level three or four times that is known of. Prior to the latest there really weren't any regulations to speak of. There are now that model aircraft have been classified as "aircraft" by the FAA and subject to the one law that trumps them all; Careless and reckless operation of an aircraft. That regulation is an FAA "catch all" and is so poorly defined that beating it in court rarely happens. It's also a regulation that carries a $20,000.00+ penalty for each violation. It does not differentiate between a hobbyists or a commercial operator, or even a model and full scale pilot. Under this regulation everyone flying an aircraft is the same.

What is unfortunate is people like the one in this event, and there are a very great many of them, are the ones that will cause cities and states to enact local laws that will further restrict what we can do, where it can be done, and when. Equipment confiscation will be the the norm for even the slightest violation, or no violation at all if a peace officer interprets a local ordinance improperly. If you win the court hearing you might get your equipment back, and it might even still be functional but be advised seizure does not require prevention of damage of seized items. Regardless of the condition it will be in you'll get it back only if you can prove you obtained it legally by producing a purchase receipt. If you lose the hearing you'll certainly lose your equipment and pay a fine to make it hurt even more. Sometime before or after your local hearing you'll get the letter from the FAA saying they want to talk to you. The pain has only just begun. Bear in mind the FAA is underfunded and they now have a large number of idiots tripping over themselves to help them make up that financial shortfall. They FAA only needs to spend a few minutes at YouTube to get the ball rolling, and they have been doing that.

This is what "buy and fly" does for us. It permits anyone with the money or enough unused credit to buy something and put it to use without further qualification. This is something that I have for a long time viewed as an epic mistake.

Last edited:
Entitlements, lack of standards and accountability will never allow common sense or natural selection to regulate this world. People are not equal. Barring any birth defects, we are born equal, but what we learn, opportunities and our environment quickly changes us all. Common sense is not as common as it used to be.
Children are not being taught to learn logic.
Everyone wins, you can be anything you want, are simply not true. The individual who has the talent, puts in the work, shows up for practice are the ones who deserve sucess. If you put in the time and do not succeed then maybe your trying to do the wrong thing. Some things are just not meant to be. God blesses us all with gifts and talents. It's our job to figure out what we are best at.
The Real world bully always wins.(federal government) Anyone in business or dealt with law will testify to this.

Good example of lack of common sense:
It's rare to see someone crossing the street in a crosswalk to even look if there's traffic. The law requires motorists to yield to pedestrians crossing in a crosswalk but will not prevent your body from being mangeled from an automobile that doesn't yield. In a naturally merited society idiots such as these people violating the most common sensed laws would likely not survive or be successful enough to afford the luxury of owning items like drones. Maybe we should double the price of the technology to weed out ignorance.
A person trying to do the right thing, most likely will do the right thing.
There are plenty of resource to find answers quickly. This forum proves that.
If your not sure, ask. Works for me.
Good luck!

Well? Here are some sad but true stats -
The U.S. ranks 14th in education, 2nd in ignorance, 33rd in internet download speeds, ranks 24th in literacy, and 17th in educational performance. On the plus side, we rank 1st in self esteem.

Well? Here are some sad but true stats -
The U.S. ranks 14th in education, 2nd in ignorance, 33rd in internet download speeds, ranks 24th in literacy, and 17th in educational performance. On the plus side, we rank 1st in self esteem.

This sounds like a quote from my favorite TV show. Outdoor Man.

was the space needle in any way?
i agree that the uav operator was an idiot for flying over people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22