Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H battery comparing chart

I'll buy the Ultrax all day long before buying a Yuneec battery. I have yet to experience any difference in flight time between them, and my wallet is a lot fatter for making the switch. I don't see them as a cheap "knockoff". More like a much less expensive equivalent.

I'll buy the Ultrax all day long before buying a Yuneec battery. I have yet to experience any difference in flight time between them, and my wallet is a lot fatter for making the switch. I don't see them as a cheap "knockoff". More like a much less expensive equivalent.
I think the debate regarding. the price of batteries is very strange. I bought my H to fly and make video/pics commercially and are looking for the longest safe flight time possible, NOT worrying and saving one $ or two.

I would agree 100%.

And aside from what I've seen in equivalent flight time at minimum, I feel the Ultrax case is better made than the OEM case. It slides into the H with no binding and there is no question when it's locked into place and secure. It also releases easier and is removed with very little effort compared to my OEM's. I've also noticed that the skin within the frame feels more substantial and I've seen absolutely no puffing (so far) when the battery is hot and I've flown them in 95 deg. heat.

At $51 each, they are a great value from what I've seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrazyJohnny
Photo,

If you're looking for longer flight time you won't find it in a more expensive 6300mA lipo. Not by more than a couple minutes anyway. It's physics and that doesn't change. More flight time comes with more battery capacity or higher energy density, which do of course cost more. So in the 6300mA class of lipo batteries, finding one of good quality at the lowest price makes a heck of a lot more sense than finding one just like it that sells for $30.00 more. I'm in business to make money, and keeping the expenses low helps me retain money.

Now that I have a better charger and the
proper meter for monitoring, I expect my UltraX's to outlast and perform equally to the batteries they
replaced, at a lower cost. That's all I can reasonably ask for.
Eagle's Eye.... very new to all this but realizing there is a LOT of battery /charger talk out there. Can you point me to a "better charger" and "proper meter for monitoring"? Anyone feel free to chime in here.... I need all the help I can get! Thanks.....

Sure... the standard charger that comes with the H is fine for charging, but to get the most useful life from a LiPo battery, you need to be able to do two things...

1) You need to be able to discharge the batteries to a specific voltage level to store the batteries at when not flying in the next day or two. While the OEM charger will not provide this function, this charger, among several others will:

Yuneec EVPEAK Dual Charger for Typhoon H Battery, DY3

I can get 2 batteries charged from storage voltage to full charge in about 30-45 minutes. Discharging does take longer, though.

2) You also need to be able to monitor a couple of parameters of your batteries... this charger above will show the voltage levels of the total battery as well as individual cells, both for charging and storage discharging. The second parameter that you want to monitor is the level of internal resistance present in your batteries. A high internal resistance in one or more cells indicates the early signs of potential battery failure. Higher IR creates heat, which causes a chemical reaction in LiPos that produces gases internally and will be seen as "swelling" of your battery. You do not want to use a swollen battery, as they present a much higher fire risk.

To test the internal resistance of your batteries you need two accessories:

A balance lead adapter for the H batteries...

Yuneec Typhoon H Charge and Balance Lead Adapter

and a multimeter that can read the internal resistance of your batteries...

https://www.amazon.com/TOMTOP-Digital-Battery-Capacity-Checker/dp/B0154BS37Q/

and finally, a good less expensive replacement battery for the H:

Ultrax 6300mAh 14.8v 4S replacement lipo battery for Yuneec Typhoon H drone RC Hexacopter

Last edited:
1) You need to be able to discharge the batteries to a specific voltage level to store the batteries at when not flying in the next day or two.
Wow.... didn't realize I'd need to discharge if not flying for a day or two. Can I just fly till I get low battery warning and store? Or do they need discharged further? What is the optimum storage voltage? Given the current weather I might not be flying anytime soon :(

Is there any advantage to the chargers that come bundled with a selection of different leads over the drop in style which seems way more convenient?

Wow.... didn't realize I'd need to discharge if not flying for a day or two. Can I just fly till I get low battery warning and store? Or do they need discharged further? What is the optimum storage voltage? Given the current weather I might not be flying anytime soon :(

When you are flying, the voltage under load will be lower than when at rest, so trying to fly to a storage level is an estimate at best. Also you will extend the life of your batteries if you try to consistently land before the first warning at 14.3V (again under load). The EV-Peak I use, discharges to a level of 3.85V per cell.

You can also use one of the balance lead adapters to use a standard 12V car headlight to further drain the battery outside of the H, and use a standard voltmeter to check the levels.

Last edited:
Is there any advantage to the chargers that come bundled with a selection of different leads over the drop in style which seems way more convenient?

Depends on if you want the charger for other options than the Typhoon... if you use multiple RC devices that use different batteries, you can get a charger like one of the HiTech chargers which will accommodate several battery types:

AC/DC Chargers | HITEC RCD USA

Then you only need connecting cables specific to each RC device you want to charge.

I'm in way over my head already so gonna guess that I won't need a multipurpose charger. And I don't mean to bug ya with question after question, but with the drop-in style charger do you just leave them in the charger for storage once they've dis?

I'm in way over my head already so gonna guess that I won't need a multipurpose charger. And I don't mean to bug ya with question after question, but with the drop-in style charger do you just leave them in the charger for storage once they've dis?

Do not keep them on the charger after completing a cycle, whether charging or discharging. At the least, LiPos should be stored in a fire resistant bag, such as

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GCHBQJS/

Beyond that people will keep those bags an an ammo box, that has been drilled to ventilate... one member had an interesting solution (can't find the original thread)... he used a standard office 2 drawer cabinet, and kept it in a shed with a concrete floor. LiPos went in the bottom drawer. The top drawer he cut out the bottom of it... replaced with some chicken wire for the floor and then, a 25 lb bag of sand in the top drawer... idea being that in a fire, the heat would melt the plastic bag, releasing the sand on the fire.

Do a YouTube search on LiPo Battery Fires, to see why these precautions are considered valid. There is an enormous amount of energy in our little bricks... they can jump start your car... as PatR pointed out in another thread... if shorted out, you could arc weld with that spark.

Last edited:
Sure... the standard charger that comes with the H is fine for charging, but to get the most useful life from a LiPo battery, you need to be able to do two things...

1) You need to be able to discharge the batteries to a specific voltage level to store the batteries at when not flying in the next day or two. While the OEM charger will not provide this function, this charger, among several others will:

Yuneec EVPEAK Dual Charger for Typhoon H Battery, DY3

I can get 2 batteries charged from storage voltage to full charge in about 30-45 minutes. Discharging does take longer, though.

2) You also need to be able to monitor a couple of parameters of your batteries... this charger above will show the voltage levels
of the total battery as well as individual cells, both for charging and storage discharging. The second parameter that you want to monitor is the level of internal resistance present in your batteries. A high internal resistance in one or more cells indicates
the early signs of potential battery failure. Higher IR creates heat, which causes a chemical reaction in LiPos that produces gases internally and will be seen as "swelling" of your battery. You do not want to use a swollen battery, as they present a much higher fire risk.

To test the internal resistance of your batteries you need two accessories:

A balance lead adapter for the H batteries...

Yuneec Typhoon H Charge and Balance Lead Adapter

and a multimeter that can read the internal resistance of your batteries...

https://www.amazon.com/TOMTOP-Digital-Battery-Capacity-Checker/dp/B0154BS37Q/

and finally, a good less expensive replacement battery for the H:

Ultrax 6300mAh 14.8v 4S replacement lipo battery for Yuneec Typhoon H drone RC Hexacopter
I totally agree that this charger works great charging two batteries.
The only downfall with this charger is that it will not charge your ST16 controller. You will need to use the charger that came with your H to charge the ST16.
I also agree that the Ultrax battery at $53.00 is as good or better that the over priced Yuneec battery. I have two of the Ultrax and two of the Yuneec batteries and do not see any difference except in price.

I have the MorPilot DY3 (same as the EVPEAK) and it has a 5V 2A charging port on the side. Are you saying that port can't charge the ST-16?

It has worked for me, but I have found I can get a faster charge from one of my computer's USB ports... :)

I have drawers and boxes full of USB chargers and cables and I usually use another 5V 2A charger on the ST16 just for convenience given the way my bench is organized. I haven't tried a 3A charger but may give it a go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers