Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Google Maps due Jan 2017

Reaction score
Hi
Yesterday whilst at the Drone Show in Birmingham, Yuneec told me they are currently testing new firmware that will support import of Google maps into the ST12 controller. Evidently it is an amazing piece of software. I personally did not see it but there loads of guys looking at it as there was a beta version available at the show
Due for release in Jan 2017.

On a separate note Typhoon H software will be used on the their bigger 920 drones (with some minor mods due to a/c weight) so you can easily switch between the smaller H and larger 920

Interesting, but around here Bing's the thing (stacks more satellite photo definition).

The mapping looked amazing. I know its been in the pipeline for a while but it very much looks worth the wait! @Firman new camera you say? ;)

Hi
Yesterday whilst at the Drone Show in Birmingham, Yuneec told me they are currently testing new firmware that will support import of Google maps into the ST12 controller. Evidently it is an amazing piece of software. I personally did not see it but there loads of guys looking at it as there was a beta version available at the show
Due for release in Jan 2017.

On a separate note Typhoon H software will be used on the their bigger 920 drones (with some minor mods due to a/c weight) so you can easily switch between the smaller H and larger 920

Do you mean the ST16 controller?

I was at the DC National Drone Show and Yuneec was there also. Played around with the Skyviews and the new CGOET. Yuneec said to watch CES 2017 (just less than a month away). There will be lots of things released by them that they hope will not only fill the perceived gaps with DJI, but jump ahead in many areas. One item is a more sophisticated thermal camera. Probably too expensive for the average Joe, but anticipated by the S&R and commercial side. The Yuneec rep said "think of the ET as the 'Economical Thermal'". It was impressive and once you set the right upper and lower thermal ranges for the display, humans pop right out. The only drawback for this price level of camera is it's thermal sensitivity. After about 100' or so, it becomes more difficult to pick out objects the size of a human, but you get what you pay for in this world. Still, a nice camera for entry level thermal work.

Google Maps sounds great! Not got a TH yet. Will this overlay on the ST16 controller so you can accurately plot a route for it to follow?

CES Show...Hmmm, I'm about to buy a TH but now worried a new version or whole new model is released that I would want instead!!?

If they release a new version rather than software updates and modular updates then I think I'll be done with Yuneec entirely. That was supposed the big one of the big advantages of the H.

Spoke to the guys at Yuneec last Sunday and asked that million dollar question of whether the typhoons h would be revised or discontinued in the near future and I was told they are going to bring a model out to bridge the gap between the H and the 920

I was at the DC National Drone Show and Yuneec was there also. Played around with the Skyviews and the new CGOET. Yuneec said to watch CES 2017 (just less than a month away). There will be lots of things released by them that they hope will not only fill the perceived gaps with DJI, but jump ahead in many areas. One item is a more sophisticated thermal camera. Probably too expensive for the average Joe, but anticipated by the S&R and commercial side. The Yuneec rep said "think of the ET as the 'Economical Thermal'". It was impressive and once you set the right upper and lower thermal ranges for the display, humans pop right out. The only drawback for this price level of camera is it's thermal sensitivity. After about 100' or so, it becomes more difficult to pick out objects the size of a human, but you get what you pay for in this world. Still, a nice camera for entry level thermal work.

The price for the ET is suppose to be $1,799.00.

Hi
Yesterday whilst at the Drone Show in Birmingham, Yuneec told me they are currently testing new firmware that will support import of Google maps into the ST12 controller.....

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a troll here. I'm also brand new with only two very short flights with my H model. Having now confessed to that, I'm asking seriously what the G Maps is used for? Why should I install the new firmware for it? How does it improve the use of the drone? What questions should I have asked to better understand?

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a troll here. I'm also brand new with only two very short flights with my H model. Having now confessed to that, I'm asking seriously what the G Maps is used for? Why should I install the new firmware for it? How does it improve the use of the drone? What questions should I have asked to better understand?

When I read the initial post regarding Google Maps I just assumed it would be for the exact same purpose as that of DJI products. This means that in the case of the ST16 which has no cell data service to obtain maps, one would then just cache google maps in advance then head out to the location of flight. The ST16 would then display a small box on the screen containing a downward view of where you and your Typhoon H are currently located by connecting the cached maps with the GPS coordinates. As you fly, a line is drawn from your location to the location of the Typhoon H over a map. On DJI products, one makes use of the map when either attempting to position a drone over an object that is at a distance or when the drone is out of sight and you wish to know what terrain is around you and the orientation of the drone. Finally, the maps are also used when you review your flight logs (at that point either cached maps or used, or the maps acquired by connecting to WiFi).

Don't know for certain if the above is what to expect, but that is my guess based on DJI products and their use of Google Maps.

Reactions: Julio D and Aerotec
Spoke to the guys at Yuneec last Sunday and asked that million dollar question of whether the typhoons h would be revised or discontinued in the near future and I was told they are going to bring a model out to bridge the gap between the H and the 920

Well it would seem logical. Like most manufactures in this industry, the one year point is the time for a new model. In the case of the Typhoon H, I think it will be more of an "enhanced" model rather than new. By this I mean it will not be an entirely new design, as the Typhoon H was to the Q500. It will still look like a Typhoon H but have many enhanced/upgraded components (motors, camera, new battery, obstacle avoidance, speed, redundant systems, ST16 with option for sim card for cell data, brighter screen, more range, and many new software features for automated flight).

Just my guess, nothing more.

Well it would seem logical. Like most manufactures in this industry, the one year point is the time for a new model. In the case of the Typhoon H, I think it will be more of an "enhanced" model rather than new. By this I mean it will not be an entirely new design, as the Typhoon H was to the Q500. It will still look like a Typhoon H but have many enhanced/upgraded components (motors, camera, new battery, obstacle avoidance, speed, redundant systems, ST16 with option for sim card for cell data, brighter screen, more range, and many new software features for automated flight).

Just my guess, nothing more.
WOW i like your day dreams my friend. Hope they come true :)

When I read the initial post regarding Google Maps I just assumed it would be for the exact same purpose as that of DJI products. This means that in the case of the ST16 which has no cell data service to obtain maps, one would then just cache google maps in advance then head out to the location of flight. The ST16 would then display a small box on the screen containing a downward view of where you and your Typhoon H are currently located by connecting the cached maps with the GPS coordinates. As you fly, a line is drawn from your location to the location of the Typhoon H over a map. On DJI products, one makes use of the map when either attempting to position a drone over an object that is at a distance or when the drone is out of sight and you wish to know what terrain is around you and the orientation of the drone. Finally, the maps are also used when you review your flight logs (at that point either cached maps or used, or the maps acquired by connecting to WiFi).

Don't know for certain if the above is what to expect, but that is my guess based on DJI products and their use of Google Maps.

Thanks for the quick, and excellent, reply. You've answered all my initial questions. I can see where the map will be a useful feature — once I get the courage to let the TH stretch out the distance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal