Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon Q500 4K or spark

Spark or Q500 4k

• Spark

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Q500 4k

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
Video will cut out on me around the 800' mark in a suburban area.

That’s what really Scares me. For me that’s short, I live on a mountain and there is some cool waterfalls in the woods by my house that I would see with my mavic air. I no longer have the mavic and was Hoping one of these two would work for me.

Much depends on the area you are flying. I've flown the Q to around 2000' with no modifications and maintained video feed until I rotated the aircraft to fly back. I lost the video signal until it was about 1000' away. Under the new guidelines you are required to maintain line of sight. So a bigger aircraft is going to be easier to see at a distance. A small quad is extremely difficult to see past 1000'.
If I could get the range I got with my phantom 3 standard or my mavic air I would be happy, I am on top of a mountain in Pennsylvania

If you dont have much wireless interference or buildings you'll likely get better range. There are also antennae modifications you can do with the q to extend the range.

I do live in a development and there are a lot of Wi-Fi signals around both 2 and 5 GHz.With my phantom I was able to get around 1800 to 2000 feet. I don’t know what the Wi-Fi technology is the same as what is in the phantom three standard?

The lower end dji and yuneec are all using 2.4 and 5ghz wireless, but dji and the newer yuneec controllers have adjustable antennas. I would guess that makes for a big improvement in range. There are modifications you can do to the q500 controller to get a better signal.

I’d rather not have to do any modifications if I don’t have to rather keep it stock. Does the Q 500 use glonass gps

I just spoke with technical support at yuneec And contrary to what people that I have spoken with in person have told me, the Q 500 4K is not discontinued. I have been under the impression this whole time that it was discontinued.

I just spoke with technical support at yuneec And contrary to what people that I have spoken with in person have told me, the Q 500 4K is not discontinued. I have been under the impression this whole time that it was discontinued.
Hmm....perhaps were have been misled by a previous post. That is good news. I see the 4K model is available in lots of stores including Amazon and Best Buy.

It would appear things are changing around. A week or two ago, I went to the Yuneec USA website looking for a CGo3+ slipring. It was available at ~ $19, but had a shipping fee about as high as the slipring itself, roughly another $19 or so.
I just checked. The slip ring is now available at ~$19, but has free shipping again.

Hmm....perhaps were have been misled by a previous post. That is good news. I see the 4K model is available in lots of stores including Amazon and Best Buy.
Can you post the Best Buy link, I do see it on amazon and Refurbished on eBay but that’s all I can see.

When you get it, remember to NOT start updating firmware before you know what you have. You probably have no idea how many new pilots kill their birds before they ever leave the ground. Not to mention a few of us that have been around long enough to know better.

When you get it, remember to NOT start updating firmware before you know what you have. You probably have no idea how many new pilots kill their birds before they ever leave the ground. Not to mention a few of us that have been around long enough to know better.
I spoke with tech support at yuneec last night and asked him about updates and he said the last one was in 2015 and that was because yuneec didn’t have a need to do any others, weather that is true or not I don’t know. Here is what the one I am getting will have according to the seller. ( had them Confirm it ) I am guessing it’s from the ground station

Android Version: 4.0.3
Kernel Version: 3.0.8
Build #: St12v01b05c
Hardware: P1.4

Yeah, those are from the controller. Pretty cool. You are getting an ST12 controller instead of the regular ST10. All the values you list above are the same as on my ST12, and it does not need any update.

Everyone keeps telling me the range on the q500 is Terrible, how bad is it really though? I know different countries have different firmware but I did watch some videos here in the US and it seem to go a pretty good distance. Why does everybody make it sound like the range is really bad?

You can increase the range in Q500 and this to a considerable extent , by mounting a panel antenna .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alvaro